The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

July 31, 2015: African golden wolf, first new canine found in 150 years

Welcome to the African Golden Wolf, the latest species to arrive be discovered by mankind. not very golden though?

There you go. Anyway, all along, we thought this was a "golden jackal" - so obviously NOT, now that we know! Biologists worked out that this dawg is different from the original golden jackal and is an entirely new species of wolf. So it's the first new species of dawg in a long, long time.

(But only because we've worked out how DNA actually works and we can now analyze it down to species level.)

It's called the African golden wolf because when it barks, it doesn't go "woof", it goes "woo-" and then makes that clicky sound with its tongue.

Nat Geo article
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Great, there's a trophy better than Cecil.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just kill a coyote. It looks just like our coyotes, and nobody will bitch at ya for killing one.

Practically nobody.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In PA...
Quote:
COYOTES, FOXES, OPOSSUMS, RACCOONS, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: Oct. 25–Feb. 21. No limit.
COYOTES and FOXES (Statewide) Cable Restraints: Dec. 26-Feb. 21. No limit. Participants must pass cable restraint certification course.
But of course the peta-tards will bitch.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Pamela
Deplorable

C'mon to Texas! Wild boars, no season, no limit. All you can kill!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Snakeadelic
Banned

Do we still do recipes? If so: bake slowly at low temperature to improve tenderness. Season with autumn fruits (apples, pears, etc) to reduce "gamy" flavors to taste. Cook on a bed of brown rice with extra moisture added as needed during baking to avoid drying out what will already be lean meat.

I learned this by cooking venison, usually a buck neck, for a Christmas roast. A startling percentage of the avid hunters where I live seem to have no idea how to skin a deer, so come October me and my skinning knife sometimes have LOTS of friends.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So it's more of a relabelling than a discovery? Kind of like suddenly finding out Rhodesia is really called Zimbabwe?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
A startling percentage of the avid hunters where I live seem to have no idea how to skin a deer, so come October me and my skinning knife sometimes have LOTS of friends.
That's why I don't hunt, filleting fish is bad enough after a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
So it's more of a relabelling than a discovery? Kind of like suddenly finding out Rhodesia is really called Zimbabwe?
I avoid DNA testing, they might cut off my social security if the found I'm not human.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

... or the increase in autism
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Snakeadelic
Banned

xoxoxoBruce posted: In PA...
Quote:
COYOTES, FOXES, OPOSSUMS, RACCOONS, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: Oct. 25–Feb. 21. No limit.
COYOTES and FOXES (Statewide) Cable Restraints: Dec. 26-Feb. 21. No limit. Participants must pass cable restraint certification course.
But of course the peta-tards will bitch.

I think PETA members should be required to take in and shelter at least 5-10 animals each when farms & shelters are raided. Go ahead, make sure half a dozen fur farm foxes can have a wild, free life in your college apartment or suburban postage-stamp back yard (hope yer not attached to furniture, neighbors who don't threaten you with death, and air that doesn't reek of territorial piss). Retrain dairy cows how to escape predation and forage safely. Release 300 battery hens into a woodland area and see what they do to the landscape and wildlife before they're killed by cars, dogs, weather, etc. Also, of the mammals listed above in the quote from Bruce, I think only weasels have NOT been confirmed to be urbanizing extremely well. There are 'yotes in Central Park in Manhattan, and San Diego homeowners with security cameras are all too often horrified to watch what a fox will do to a house cat before killing and eating it. Coons like to nest up in family groups, and what they can do to a home is documented in places like a series called Infested that's available on several streaming channels (not for the faint of stomach). Opossums have more teeth than any other mammal, carry all kinds of human-dangerous pathogens from their love of eating garbage, and can also carry rabies.

Meantime, there ARE animals that are in no way under federal or local protection in this country. Pigeons (a/k/a Colomba livia, the rock dove). House sparrows. Common starlings. Collared doves. These invasive birds are fair game--and not always a bad plan, since the starlings and sparrows both carry human-dangerous diseases and parasites. Also, the sparrows are why no bluebirds nest where I live; you have to go miles out in the country to find one because the sparrows KILL THEM for nesting sites.

You want mammal meat? Pamela's right! Feral pigs are spreading, and if you look up the history of environmental conservation in Hawaii you can't help but notice why they're a massive ecological problem. (Interesting side note: in the area of Brazil known as the Pantanal, feral pigs are actually helping because both humans and anacondas LOVE pork and the local wildlife's getting a bit of a break.)

If it's fish you really love, the single most environmentally friendly way to go is find a store that already does or badger your local grocer until they carry Atlantic lionfish. They're worse than the Florida python problem--they're native to Indonesia, grow to 2 feet long, eat absolutely every non-lethal fish they can fit in their faces, and have venomous spines in their dorsal fins. They were released in the Caribbean and off the coast of Brazil; in both places they have no natural predators. The Caribbean population is eating its way southward while the Brazilians head north, and by the time they meet reef ecology will have been devastated for thousands of miles of North, Central, and South American coastlines. NOAA runs spear-fishing tournaments for them along the Gulf Coast and even published a freakin' cookbook. Evidently it's gourmet fish.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote