The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Veterans Day

I didn't realize until I saw VA Secretary Robert Wilkie give a speech Friday what typical Trumpian total asshole he is.

I hope veterans and others have good days today.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

This most recent deployment to the Southern Border during a holiday season seems capricious and hardly worth screwing up training schedules for.

Thank you to our veterans for your willingness to commit to our nations defense despite what politicians of both parties do with your commitment.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

De nada.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
sexobon

BTW, since the southern border was mentioned, my perspective on the caravan, which originates from San Pedro Sula (been there), Honduras, is influenced by my time at JTF-B for which I'm authorized to wear the Joint Meritorious Unit Award ribbon from its first award period. US Special Forces involvement in Honduras wasn't common knowledge here back then which is typical during early interventions. SF is usually in a couple dozen countries at any given time; but, most people are only aware of a few during our wartimes and mostly unaware during our peacetimes. My interpersonal experience there ranges from meeting the country's President in his hometown residence to working with subsistence farmers so poor and marginalized that they've never even seen a doctor. If you read the rest of the Wiki article, you'll see how the US mission there has changed over time into what it is today.

This BTW brought to you by a veteran.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
I didn't realize until I saw VA Secretary Robert Wilkie give a speech Friday
I have only heard him speak once - in vague and apparently honest terms.

What relevant points did you hear in that Friday speech?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
I didn't realize until I saw VA Secretary Robert Wilkie give a speech Friday what typical Trumpian total asshole he is.

I hope veterans and others have good days today.
It sounds like a lot of veterans aren't having a very good time at all today and the VA Secretary has his work cut out for him:

Quote:
'A train wreck': Veterans haven't receive GI Bill benefits for months

… The Department of Veterans Affairs is suffering from a series of information technology glitches that has caused GI Bill benefit payments covering education and housing to be delayed or — in the case of Roundtree — never be delivered. …

… There are many veterans, like Roundtree, across the country who are still waiting for VA to catch up with a backlog created after President Trump signed the Forever GI Bill in 2017. The landmark piece of legislation greatly expanded benefits for veterans and survivors' families, but it did not upgrade the VA's technical capabilities to account for those changes.

While it is unclear how many GI Bill recipients were impacted by the delays, as of Nov. 8, more than 82,000 are still waiting for their housing payments with only weeks remaining in the school semester, according to VA. Hundreds of thousands are believed to have been affected. …

… At the end of August, Veterans Benefits Administration had nearly 239,000 pending claims — 100,000 more than at the same point in 2017. As school began, thousands of students faced dire circumstances and some faced eviction, getting kicked out of school or taking on loan or credit card debt.

As the problem appears to have no clear solution, the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs is holding a hearing on Wednesday to investigate the matter. ...
Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Veterans. How do you compare VA services today compared to ten plus years ago?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Not better.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This most recent deployment to the Southern Border during a holiday season seems capricious and hardly worth screwing up training schedules for.
But Trump is giving the US Military the first chance to defend our country since 1945.