The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #6586
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Ugh. I went to my 20th reunion. It was a mistake.

Believe that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #6587
Griff
still says videotape

Humans are weird. I prefer the company of dogs, bikes, and saws, which I'm told were actually invented by humans.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #6588
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

As I get older, everything seems to be to damn loud.

I thought I was supposed to go deef in m'dotage.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #6589
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Neighbors are having a pool put in. On the one hand, it's kind of cool to watch, and the hole they've got so far provided a very clear object lesson to the kids about why we don't have basements in Texas: there's about 18 inches of dirt, and after that, it's solid limestone. But that means I've had to listen to a steady soundtrack of jackhammering for the last two days. Really hope today's the last day.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #6590
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

...and hell no you can't use the pool!!

Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #6591
Clodfobble

Psh... Don't need to. We have 3 neighborhood pools within walking distance, and another 4 that are just a few minutes by car. If it's raining and you don't mind paying, you have your choice of 8-10 indoor pools within a 15-minute radius. It's not a luxury item around here, just a home insurance hazard.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #6592
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Damn. I'm not aware of any public pools. Do wave pools count?

Ya got no pool, and you wanna swim around here, ya go to a motel. One that has a pool.

ETA: Or the creek.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #6593
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Really hope today's the last day.
Reader, it wasn't.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #6594
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's a deeeeep pool.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #6595
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Reader, it wasn't.
Do they hit ground water too?
Old 11-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #6596
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Undercover fracking?

Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #6597
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Do they hit ground water too?
Not in this part of town. There are areas of central Austin that you theoretically could, within the basin of the Edwards Aquifer. There are warning signs all over town about the dangers of dumping there.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #6598
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That looks like a great resource, but vulnerable.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #6599
Clodfobble

With the recent torrential rains, the water treatment facilities were overwhelmed and Austin was put on a "boil water" notice for over a week. That's never happened before that I can recall. I kept thinking that this is how the apocalypse starts: something mundane that just... keeps... going, and suddenly you're a month without clean water and the next shipment of bottled water from the north doesn't arrive and it's instant chaos.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #6600
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
With the recent torrential rains, the water treatment facilities were overwhelmed and Austin was put on a "boil water" notice for over a week. That's never happened before that I can recall. I kept thinking that this is how the apocalypse starts: something mundane that just... keeps... going, and suddenly you're a month without clean water and the next shipment of bottled water from the north doesn't arrive and it's instant chaos.
That reminded me of the maxim that we're only ever four meals away from anarchy, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Read on:

Quote:
Riots: Remember the Four Meal Rule

Britain is only ever four meals away from anarchy. So says MI5 and they know a thing or two about public order.
It's a powerful maxim and one that reminds us that lurking in the inner recesses of the minds of many of the people who might pass us every day in the street is the thought that given half a chance, they'd change all this.
Most of the time, most people don't riot. Regular meals, satellite TV, reasonable prospects and faint hope keep anarchic feelings at bay. Rioting takes effort and planning.
But apparent calm can change all too quickly. Witness the behaviour after a cargo ship spewed up its contents on the south coast of England a few years ago.
Within hours, apparently respectable people could be seen carting off consumer goods. One chap trundled off with a motorbike.
Other people's behaviour often determines our own. We make think we're individuals but given the right circumstances, many of us could behave badly.
Link

Tags
mild cheddar