The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #46
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I was lumping the inheritors of their parents wealth into that group of people that recieved money they didn't earn. I question the doling out of any sort of aid at the federal level, and would love to see someone get ballsy enough to tighten down on loose money faucets. Even if it costs more I think there would be some way to improve the continual processing of applicants and use the money saved to pay the extra people to do it. No money gained overall, but at least the money is going to people doing a job.
I don't know if society should take care of people who are facing hard times, I really see that as a responsibility of citizens. We throw so much stuff into the governments lap and then dust our hands off with a sigh of relief that we don't have to concern ourselves with it anymore.
Government wellfare will always be something to hang your head about, perhaps if people could be convinced to get their heads out of their asses we would be able to impliment something better
Old 11-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #47
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
I don't know if society should take care of people who are facing hard times, I really see that as a responsibility of citizens. We throw so much stuff into the governments lap and then dust our hands off with a sigh of relief that we don't have to concern ourselves with it anymore.
Government wellfare will always be something to hang your head about, perhaps if people could be convinced to get their heads out of their asses we would be able to impliment something better
Government is the responsibility of the citizens. If more people would wake up and remember that the government is elected by the people in order to do the people's bidding, we'd all be a lot better off. Most individual citizens couldn't give a rat's ass about the poor and needy disabled. How much do YOU contribute to the local battered women's shelter? How about to programs for kids born with developmental disabilities. When's the last time you made aREAL contribution to a food drive for the needy in your area - and I don't mean just throwing a can of generic canned corn into a basket.

I am on SSDI and I don't hang my head over it. I worked and paid into the system for 30 years of my life only to become disabled and end up with a "benefit" of $671.00/month plus $10.00 in food stamps. The American people are so lacking in concern for those in need that its a national disgrace.

Why don't YOU get your head out of your ass and learn about the REAL world - especially in the country you live in?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #48
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Government is the responsibility of the citizens. If more people would wake up and remember that the government is elected by the people in order to do the people's bidding, we'd all be a lot better off. Most individual citizens couldn't give a rat's ass about the poor and needy disabled. How much do YOU contribute to the local battered women's shelter? How about to programs for kids born with developmental disabilities. When's the last time you made aREAL contribution to a food drive for the needy in your area - and I don't mean just throwing a can of generic canned corn into a basket.

I am on SSDI and I don't hang my head over it. I worked and paid into the system for 30 years of my life only to become disabled and end up with a "benefit" of $671.00/month plus $10.00 in food stamps. The American people are so lacking in concern for those in need that its a national disgrace.

Why don't YOU get your head out of your ass and learn about the REAL world - especially in the country you live in?
It's hard....seeing you this angry.......But I have to agree with you, even so perturbed..When did government and citizen become so divided? It didn't. This is the point.I eagerly agree to pay my taxes for the less fortunate. I am a citizen, and at different points in times I have governed. I am not alone in this.
The head in the ass is a matter of perspective. And I think the world might be the common denominator.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Thank you Brianna. I can't believe I let him get to me like that. You have put it back into perspective.
Yes, good job Brianna. When a couple of members go at a heated debate, the worst thing is people choosing sides..... contribute views and opinions, yes....but not taking sides based on popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
How much do YOU contribute to the local battered women's shelter?
Go to hell, I'm not battering any women to supply any damn shelter. :p
Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #50
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Go to hell, I'm not battering any women to supply any damn shelter. :p
Nice try, Bruce, but I already know how kind you are. You can't fool me! You are one cool dude. I am humbled before you. So there!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:00 AM   #51
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
... you will pay more when Democrats have the reins. Wait, that's not entirely true this time around.....Republicans were spending money like drunken sailors. ...
The Dems have the guts to Tax and Spend. Rebs Borrow and Spend is irresponsible. Carter closed the budget deficit, then Reagan put us into serious debt. Where do these Republicans get a reputation for fiscal responsibility? Just because you get another $50/month in your paycheck for your wife to buy more pillowcases and glassware? Your kids will need an inheritance to pay off the national debt when they inherit that.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Where do these Republicans get a reputation for fiscal responsibility?
I'd like to think they're done playing at that, but I know better.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #53
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Anyone know what income level pays the bulk of US taxes? Last I heard, it was the middle class, blue collar guys. Assuming that hasn't changed, then borrow and spend would put the bulk of the repayment on whom? That's right, the middle class.

Perfectly in line with the usual Republican thinking, as I see it.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #54
mrnoodle
bent

In 2001, the top quintile (20%) averaged $133,700 in personal income after taxes. This group's share of the total income tax liability was 65.3%. The fourth quintile made ~$61,000 after taxes, and shouldered 18.5% of the income tax burden. The middle class made ~$43,700 and accounted for (drumroll...) 10% of the total burden. Second quintile paid for 5%, lowest quintile, 1%.

The top 1% of wage earners paid 22.7% of the total income tax liability. The top 10% paid for 50% of the total.

For personal income taxes only:
Top quintile ($133,700): 82.5%
Fourth quintile: 14.3%
Third quintile (blue collar working stiffs): 5.2%
Second quintile: .3%
First quintile: (-)2.3%

Share of [evil]corporate[/evil] income tax:
Fifth quintile: 82.6% (with 51.8% coming from the top 1%)
Fourth: 7.7%
and downward.

Congressional Budget Office docs
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #55
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

From Here

Quote:
What percentage of taxes are paid by the wealthiest 5% of Americans?

The wealthiest 5 percent have 59% of the wealth and pay 38.4 percent of federal taxes. The wealthiest 1 percent have over 38 percent of the wealth and pay 24.8 percent of federal taxes. These households have an average wealth of $10.2 million and pay only 3.5 percent of their wealth in taxes. By way of comparison, the bottom 40 percent of taxpayers have an average net wealth of $1,100 and pay 163 percent of their net wealth in taxes.

If all taxpayers paid the same 10.5 percent of their wealth in taxes as median income families pay, the taxes of the lowest 40 percent would be cut by 94 percent while the taxes of the wealthiest would triple.

Source: Congressional Budget Office and United for a Fair Economy
My emphasis.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #56
glatt

I thought income was taxed, and not wealth?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #57
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It is, but this is another yardstick that shows how our tax codes are a much bigger burden on those who are not wealthy.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #58
rkzenrage

Whenever I hear the against arguments they are always in emotional terms, "they get free money that they did not work for!".
This is something that one, obviously, cannot know. Many/most young people help their parents in family endeavors, support them in many ways; both tangible and intangible. The same is true for spouses.
It smacks of envy, greed & malice. "I'm not getting a big inheritance, so no one should..." or "we should all get a piece of that"... sour grapes.
I am for either/or. Tax us when we get it or when we spend it, that's it, and only one percentage for all, across the board... no games.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #59
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
The same is true for spouses.
Spouses don't pay estate tax. One of the legal benefits of marriage is shared estate.
Quote:
Tax us when we get it or when we spend it, that's it,
The estate tax is for when the inheritors get it. It is levied on the estate instead of each individual inheritor for several reasons, including simplicity and the management of deferred tax assets. Can you imagine inheriting a large portfolio of stock, and having to figure out what the original purchase prices were, to calculate the capital gains? All of that is replaced by the estate tax.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #60
rkzenrage

I do not pretend to know all the in's and out's... I just know that a flat-tax makes the most sense.
All pay a fair, even, percentage.