The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Fitness trackers

I've been wanting a fitness tracker, but none of them are compatible with my chosen exercise, so I never got one. Plus, I think most of them are ugly.

BUT, I'm tired. And I'm sick of being tired. I've downloaded a migraine app (separate issue) that tracks sleep, but I think it needs to be on the bed and I don't think it's very accurate. I think it is actually counting me being asleep more than I actually am.

I decided to get one that can track it more accurately. The reviews I read said the Misfit Ray was pretty good at this. It's a minimalist design, so I think it looks a lot better than the chunky fitbits. It's a third of the price, so I decided to go ahead and buy it. Better to spend $60 (I bought a couple extra bands since it was all on sale) and decide I hate it than spend $160.

https://misfit.com/products/misfit-r...lective-accent

I can always upgrade to one with all the bells and whistles later if I actually like this one.

Anyone else use a tracker?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Glatt would be your man on this subject. His indicates when he rolls over in his sleep, iirc.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
glatt

I just got a Misfit Ray as a prize for a walking at work challenge. I'm going to give it to my son since I already have a Fitbit HR something or other.

I like my Fitbit. No idea how accurate it is at tracking sleep. How would I know? But it is consistent with what it says about my sleep, so I tend to think it's correct.

There are some times that I am lying still for an hour or more, hoping to fall back asleep, and it counts that as sleeping. It's good at tracking tossing and turning and deciding whether I am sleeping or not.

The HR sensor can tell a lot from your heart rate.

It uses light to sense your HR and sometimes that startles me a little if I shift position at night and a gap between the device and my wrist is exposed and light leaks out.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
bbro
Insert witty comment here

glatt - I didn't know that it used a light - that's a good thing for me to know. Light has a tendency to wake me up since I keep my room as pitch black as possible.

I will probably upgrade in the future if I like the Misfit, but it's useless for exercising for me. I think that's one of the big things that has stopped me from getting one so far. I don't think there's many that can handle a 16kg kettlebell slapping down on the wrist or 10kg just resting there. I'm not sure if they can be worn on the inside of the wrist - if so, then it might be more feasible for me to use.