The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Hot Dog Related Stuff

I've been doing all kinds of research on the hot dog business lately. There was a TON of stuff I didn't know and I've been learning a lot.

I never knew people in the south put slaw on their dogs. I didn't know Chili dogs came from Cincinnati or that their chili has chocolate in it. There's terminology associated when buying food from distributors, etc.

I'm excited. This is really going to happen.

Right now I'm learning a lot about the paperwork, accounting, business structures, tax ids, the different ways you can use the cart to make money with the cart depending on your business model, the health codes, permits, licenses, temperatures, procedures, best locations, ways to make the health inspector happy, ways to avoid being hassled by cops, etc.

There are a number of books out there about this business. I got 2. I'm also considering going to Hot Dog University. It was on the CBS News.

This combined with working my with my uncle Manny should really prepare me to open the best possible hot dog business in a clean, safe, and profitable way and to provide an excellent product and experience for the customers.

I'll know by the end of the month if I'm moving forward on this. It's looking good so far though.

I'd love to hear from you guys about what your favorite hot dogs are. What brand? What toppings? Where did you get 'em? What makes you stop for a dog?

In Florida there's a lot of competition in the hot dog business, but I'll give it a shot. They have a chain down there called "Hot Dog Heaven" so I thought it would be good to use the name "Devil Dogs" as a fun way to compete. Maybe we could setup a contest every year between us. We'd both make money and it would be funny. Besides selling hot dogs, brats, and italian sausage & peppers, I could sell t-shirts, hats with horns on 'em, keychains, etc.

I'm still trying to come up with a cute, fun, mischievous but non-threatening, hot dog mascot with horns and a pitchfork with a pointy arrow tail. I can put it on menus, signs, punch cards, hats, t-shirts, the van I'll use to pull the cart, etc. for branding.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

my favorite is a Cincy-style chili hot dog. We call them coneys. See Skyline Chili for the real Cincy chili-dog deal. NOT Gold Star!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Vienna Beef Fire Dogs, or any hot link.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

My favorite dog, because I can't get them here, is a Chicago street-style:
sport peppers, pickle spears, tomato slices, sweet relish, spicy mustard, sauerkraut, and and all-beef frank and/or polish sausage.

A friend of mine (my boss actually) turned me on to hotdogs with sauerkraut plus HORSERADISH. Yowzah! That's got a kick.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
glatt

Where do you go to the bathroom when you are selling dogs? You don't leave your cart unattended, do you? I imagine you need to be in place from about 10 to 4 or so. Can you hold it that long?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

white hots!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to eat mine with sauerkraut and relish and mustard...not all at once though! Cheese dogs are a current favorite since mustard is off my menu.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Where do you go to the bathroom when you are selling dogs? You don't leave your cart unattended, do you? I imagine you need to be in place from about 10 to 4 or so. Can you hold it that long?
Depends?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Stadium Pal?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Depends?
Wait, hasn't driving to Florida wearing a diaper been done before?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Wait, hasn't driving to Florida wearing a diaper with the intention of serving body parts been done before?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Wait, hasn't driving to Florida wearing a diaper been done before?
Ha!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

We have NuWay hot dogs here. They make their own wieners.

At this place you had better be prepared to wait. Everybody that is somebody eats here. It's old as the hills. And even more famous. No telling what celeb you may run into here.
The joint hasn't changed in as long as anyone can remember. That is key to their success.
Nathan's wieners are good. And available.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

HebNats, as my brother-in-law likes to call them. Hebrew National

It wasn't until I read the wiki that I found out that Hebrew National is not kosher enough for Orthodox Jews.

Still, at least the supervision that they have exceeds the increasingly weak FDA inspection.

If you want to be sure it all came from a cow, specifically the front half of the cow, Hebrew National is the way to go.

My only beef with them is that like many kosher meat products, they just love to use garlic. Sometimes I have to switch to Nathans just to change up the flavor.

BTW, the hand grinder I bought at the QVC outlet comes with 3 packets of seasonings and a few feet of sausage casing. I do want to try making my own at some point. Are all casings edible now or are they just meant to hold the meat in place and be peeled off before cooking?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 03-01-2009 at 01:44 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
white hots!
http://www.zweigles.com/products.asp...aturalCasings#