The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

How do you know?

How do you know that you need to see a psychiatrist? I completely admit that I have had some drinks tonight, but I ask because someone is worried about me. Do I get sad? Yes. Do I know the reason? Not always. Do I think about doing the unthinkable? Sometimes.

I just don't know. I don't want more pills - I already take 4 prescriptions a day. I don't know why I get really sad sometimes. I do get worried about my mental health, but I don't feel as though I have enough of a case to take up the time of a mental health professional/spend the money.

Is it enough that someone is worried about me that I should go?

I am asking here because I know that some members have gone through this or worked with people that have issues.

I think I just need a pointer sign or some advice.

And if anyone is in NC that has a doctor that can help, but doesn't want to respond publicly, please send me a PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Go see a psychologist or LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). They treat through therapy instead of meds. I see a psychiatrist for meds and meet with a counselor to work out issues with PTSD and Obsessive Compulsive behavior ( not OCD)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Go see a psychologist or LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). They treat through therapy instead of meds. I see a psychiatrist for meds and meet with a counselor to work out issues with PTSD and Obsessive Compulsive behavior ( not OCD)
I second this
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I do, as well. If someone is worried, take that as an indication that it's important to go. When we drink, our inhibitions are lessened and things come out that we usually keep suppressed. Even though those issues aren't front and center all day, they're still there. So if you get sad when drinking, it's worth exploring what that sadness is about. And - a suggestion, if I may - consider not drinking at all until you work on the issues that show up when your inhibitions are down. You don't want to be overwhelmed with difficult issues when you've lost your usual inhibitory balance.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Orrr, stay drunk and naked, partying hard till you die... shouldn't take that long. But what you don't want to do, is sit and worry about what you should do, because that will make you nuts.

Keep in mind if you see a psychiatrist, or therapist, or even a regular doctor, the decision to take drugs is yours. Take them if you trust the recommendation, after reading what they are and what they do. Then bring them up to the prescriber often... "Do I still need these? Why?" Taking charge can help you feel better just from the empowerment.

Oh, and don't forget to check in here with your board certified forum.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Check to see if any of your prescriptions or the conditions they treat have symptoms and side effects that look like psych but aren't.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Orrr, stay drunk and naked, partying hard till you die... shouldn't take that long.
Fuckin' A.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
How do you know that you need to see a psychiatrist? ...
One indicator is that you're planning a crime for which you want to get out of doing jail time by establishing an insanity defense.

Other than that, your general practitioner should be able to get you into screening.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
JBKlyde
Banned

The diagnosis I was given before they started pumping full of medications was that "I was dead" then they just starting pumping me full of medication before an official diagnosis.. eventually I was just so full of meds that I woke up one day in my car behind a dump truck and realized "they were over medicateing me"... I went to USF and had a few brain scans done but apperentlly the reasearch just isn't there to detect what ever it is I have.. my advice don't go on any pills untill you are one hundred percent positive that that's your best opiton...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That was not your diagnosis, that's just what you took from it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm with UT, pretty sure when they decide you're dead, they revoke your drivers license.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

After all, JBK, with meds you write some excellent poetry. It's a good option.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I checked all my meds and there are not mental side effects. I know there is a correlation between depression and PCOS which I do have.

I have been thinking about it and I am going to go back to the gym CONSISTENTLY (not like before) - that did seem to help in the past and it will keep me out of the bar. I do think that I need to talk to someone and I found someone online. I liked what her webpage said and what she says her methods are. It can't hurt to go to one.

I think my biggest problem is being happy with my life. My life consists of three options:
Work > Home
Work > Gym > Home
Work > Bar > Home
Beyond that? Rarely anything else. I'm single, so no SO to hang out with. No close friends to talk to. Yea, I see people at the bar and stuff. Occasionally get invited to some things, but I don't have anyone to just BS with. Everyone already has their circle of friends or kids or bf/gf or all of that. Whenever I try to hang out, they are too busy. I just kind of gave up.
I am not close to my family and really have no desire to anymore. If I call my mom with issues, it is me for about 10 minutes, then her solution, then her life.

I don't know why, but when she said she was worried about me, I thought I was was pretty happy that night. It sucked when you thought you were ok, but someone else doesn't see it that way.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

How about clubs? There are things like walking clubs so you could combine your fitness goals with socializing. That (running club) is really what helped me build my social groups here.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I don't know why, but when she said she was worried about me, I thought I was was pretty happy that night. It sucked when you thought you were ok, but someone else doesn't see it that way.
Maybe it's because you're usually not, and she saw the happy as change. Mothers a suspicious of change. Any little variation in routine means you're hiding something from her... something bad... an incurable disease... pregnancy... you're moving to Uzbekistan.