Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #76
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Amazing.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #77
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Are you sure? It is an overplayed episode with the same characters. I am sure, I've seen this one before.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #78
monster
I hear them call the tide

And there's the trifecta. Predictable. No professional opinion, then, Dr. Awesome? And Crassic, you joined in just for that? Well here I am to make sure the party of troublemakers and bitches is complete. And with that said...

I do not have experience of taking anti-depressants and I have enough respect for the posters here -all of them- not to wade in with the usual jokes and piss-taking, but I want to say this:

I think Dana makes the best point at this point. Everyone is fighting their own demon in their own way. The sword didn't work for Gandhi, Peaceful dialogue did not work for Boudiccea. And yet both are heroes and won their own battles. Let's support each other in whatever way each chooses to fight, whether that be denial, self-help, or medication. It's the end of January, the worst time for depression. I am glad we are all still here and functioning enough to fight it out.

Does anyone need a barf-bucket now?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #79
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
And there's the trifecta. Predictable.
Yup - Whats predictable is one poster getting all shitty and then you backing her up. Good for you. She was an ass and was called out for it. Where is the problem? Oh that's right it was one of your own who got called out.

Quote:
And Crassic, you joined in just for that?
Yup - called it like I saw it and still see it. Shaw got shitty with Juni for NO REASON. My point stands, monnie.
Quote:
Well here I am to make sure the party of troublemakers and bitches is complete.
You defined yourselves correctly, on that we agree.

Quote:
Everyone is fighting their own demon in their own way.
Yes we are, yet shitting on others for no reason is no excuse. She deserved it.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #80
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
In this thread we have what appears to be a group of varyingly depressed people arguing over definitions of depression, each labouring under their own individual loads of baggage and association.
True dat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Unsurprisingly, this conversation has not gone well.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #81
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I really was more interested in finding out about peoples experiences with their medications, what they took, whether it worked for them, how it helped or didn't, how long they might have been on them, did they stop or change meds, and why.

I wasn't asking if you thought meds were good or bad, what you thought of the nature of depression, whether it was a bona fide illness or personality/character flaw or what constituted real depression versus feeling blue.

I wasn't really looking for opinions about, validation of, or justification for taking meds.

I was really hoping to hear from people about their personal first hand experiences with meds.

Next time, I'll be more clear in my initial post.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #82
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
snip--
I was really hoping to hear from people about their personal first hand experiences with meds.

Next time, I'll be more clear in my initial post.
You needn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char*Pntr
Ok I will do! But I am worried, that as newbie here, I am taking your thread off topic.
You really haven't, but if you had, fuck it. Thread drift is so common, it's expected. After the OP, people will throw in their two cents, but that doesn't last too long unless it's something controversial. Then the thread may die, or take off on one or more tangents. A thread is like a toy sailboat, you can set it to sail, buy you can't steer it. It goes where it will.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #83
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Oh I know, I know.

If you love a thread let it go and if it comes back to you it was meant to be...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #84
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Rayon is the one of the most favored threads amongst professional embroiderers. It is a soft thread, available in great colors, and suitable for all forms of machine embroidery. Rayon thread holds up well with high-speed stitching without breaking or fraying and it also consistently performs well. It is easily available in many embroidery stores and in a wide range of solid and variegated colors, as well as in a "twist" thread composed of two or more solid colors twisted together to form a single strand. They are available in a light 50wt, standard 40 wt. and a thicker 30 wt.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #85
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I do not have experience of taking anti-depressants and I have enough respect for the posters here -all of them- not to wade in with the usual jokes and piss-taking, but I want to say this:

I think Dana makes the best point at this point. Everyone is fighting their own demon in their own way. The sword didn't work for Gandhi, Peaceful dialogue did not work for Boudiccea. And yet both are heroes and won their own battles. Let's support each other in whatever way each chooses to fight, whether that be denial, self-help, or medication. It's the end of January, the worst time for depression. I am glad we are all still here and functioning enough to fight it out.
I liked that.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #86
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I thought that was pretty clear.

we all have our "thing" -

My ex husband was against anti-depressants because they altered your mind and, thus, were MIND ALTERING CHEMICALS akin to cocaine, etc. He is as against anti-depressants as he is street drugs like meth. He's ALSO a CCDC III with a bachelors degree and works for the mental health system for the state. so - there's that level of ignorance out there.

Juni---I am curious as to why you think your children deserve a video game more than they deserve a mom who feels good about herself?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-04-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I misuse commas...I admit it freely.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #87
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
But, as Dana pointed out, not everyone who is depressed is also suicidal.

Lots of people just live with it, because the guilt, shame, and sheer paralysis of depression won't let them get help. They feel like they aren't worthy of help. Getting help requires money to be spent that could be spent on other things, even if those other things are just their kid's video games. Getting help requires time that could be spent on other things, even if it's mostly other people's time that matters and not your own.
I was referring to this BTW. Just so we are clear.

If you are waiting to feel suicidal before getting help ---- well, that's just like waiting to have a heart attack before addressing your cholesterol problem, no?

ALSO - the martyr quotient here is HUGE. Just saying.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 02-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #88
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

and classic - FFS, go kick a pillow or something, wouldja? You're getting to be soooo boring with the Shawnee hate. You're the proverbial old man yelling at Shaw to get off not only HIS OWN but everybody's lawn. Other posters are more than capable of taking care of/defending themselves. Juni is a professional writer for crissakes - she can lob her own volleys, eh? You're like a terrier with a bone, man! give it a rest!

—James Barrie

Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #89
TheMercenary

The Anti-Social Network
By helping other people look happy, Facebook is making us sad.

Quote:
There are countless ways to make yourself feel lousy. Here's one more, according to research out of Stanford: Assume you're alone in your unhappiness.

"Misery Has More Company Than People Think," a paper in the January issue of Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, draws on a series of studies examining how college students evaluate moods, both their own and those of their peers. Led by Alex Jordan, who at the time was a Ph.D. student in Stanford's psychology department, the researchers found that their subjects consistently underestimated how dejected others were–and likely wound up feeling more dejected as a result. Jordan got the idea for the inquiry after observing his friends' reactions to Facebook: He noticed that they seemed to feel particularly crummy about themselves after logging onto the site and scrolling through others' attractive photos, accomplished bios, and chipper status updates. "They were convinced that everyone else was leading a perfect life," he told me.
I wonder if the Cellar could be having the same effect on some people?

http://www.slate.com/id/2282620/
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #90
monster
I hear them call the tide

If that's the case I reckon my facebook interaction make people feel a whole lot saner. I knew I had a purpose in life!