The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 09-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #61
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

O.

M.

G.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #62
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

WOW, welcome to the Cellar bmwmcaw. What an entrance!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #63
rkzenrage

Very generalized. May be true for many, but was not my experience. I got laid when I wanted to, turned down many and often.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #64
9th Engineer

How was that generalized?? It was probably the best laid post on the subject so far. You just don't think it applies in your case which may or may not be the case
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #65
rkzenrage

I guess the guys I hung out with were different in college & while working, being theatre majors & professional actors. I married in school, but never had the problems I heard about and neither did any of my peer group until I came back to this small town.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #66
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
It was probably the best laid post on the subject so far.
You're kidding, right?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #67
9th Engineer

Well I don't agree with ALL of it, but most was very well put. Everyone is judged on their past. Like it or not it's the best indicator of who you are. The idea that sex only occurs when women want it to? Shaky. Guys with half a brain aren't going to jump into bed with the first woman who unzipps her pants. Overall though it was fairly well put, explain where you're comming from if you have major issues with the whole thing.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #68
stereogramm
Always Inside!

If there is a love between each-other then the sexual history is not important thing for relationships.
Guys and girls should understand for each-other - we are all a people and have own senses.
IMHO.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sex is a choice regardless of gender.
People get horny regardless of gender.
Some people, especially when they are younger, choose to have sex for pleasure regardless of gender.
Some people don't meet their "ideal" for many years, but do not choose to remain celibate, regardless of gender.
Some people get hurt emotionally by someone who don't equate sexual intimacy with emotional intimacy regardless of gender.
Some people generalise this experience to include everyone.
Some don't.
Regardless of gender.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #70
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Personally, I love the assertion that a 30-year-old woman is "likely" to have had between 30 and 50 partners. That really seals his credibility right there.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #71
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have issues with the whole post, 9th. "Women who've had many sexual partners won't be able to form strong, emotional bonds with one man"-? Pul-Eaze! Gimme a break! The post smacks of the black and white thinking typical of teenage boys. "Unless a criminal act occurs, women chose to have sex..." Oh, really? Women are never on the fence or seduced by men into having sex? Women never feel pressured into giving bj's? Sex is much more complicated than your friend here imagines. The 'responsibility' for sex is not contingent on what sort of sex organs a person possesses! Complete bullocks!

The post could have been written by my exfather-in-law. He doesn't believe in dinosaur fossils, or the moon landing, or equal rights/equal responsibility either!

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 10-01-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #72
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I went to school with a guy who was vastly promiscuous, after he got it from a girl he tended to treat her a little meanly. He and I were always friends though!
One of my friends from since the 7th grade always had a few fuckbuddies. If she was feeling a little horney she just called one of 'em. This included when she had a guy that she was specifically interested in.
I have only been with one man, and I don't plan on tryin anyone else out, does this mean I've actually been with 10 men and am often out looking for more? "Its raining men!"
I've gone to church for years and have known several great guys who don't even want to get in a situation where it might be hard to turn down. I've spent hours on the phone with one who had a "ready to go" girlfriend who was trying to get him in bed, I think he made the right decision when he broke it off with her instead.
My older sister is a devout Christian and holds her virginity in the highest respect. She doesn't even want to kiss until the day of marriage!
I think it is your choice rather to have sex or not to have sex. This goes for both men and women...so P-man if you would sleep with a woman who proves to be easy, then you yourself are easy. I personally would choose to have a partner who has had no others, that way they aren't bringing any history to bed (memories of how other women did things, looked ect.). I have to say you really shouldn't disregard a person just because they are virgin. The bedroom (and the tent, car, beach...) can be alot of fun when your discovering each other.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #73
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like the whole 'women aren't supposed to be sexual and if they are, they are bad, bad girls' kind of thinking. Very American Taliban.

—James Barrie

Old 10-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #74
9th Engineer

Ya, I definately think the statement about 30 - 50 sexual partners is wacked It's over the top and far too strong (needs to be watered down and given a ), but if you cut out the outrageous parts and apply it to both genders (I should have mentioned that earlier) it works out pretty well. I don't think that someone (guy or girl) who has had alot of sexual partners will never be able to form a lasting emotional bond with just one, but none of their partners are going to think that sex imparts much importance to the relationship. Suddenly, having sex means about as much as eating lunch with them.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #75
bmwmcaw

The 30 to 50 came strait from Cosmopolitan magazine. I read it some time ago and they based it on an average 3 boyfriends per year since sexual activity begins around 18 years old. Yes, I do admit that there may be some over generalization or simplification.

Yet the issue of sexual choice being female is highly document by many sociologists. As well in naturalist who see this fact repeatedly in other species of animals. In fact there are many books on this subject. I didn’t just make this up on this board.

http://www.cogsci.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cg.../newpsy?12.008

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/titles/5817.html

http://human-nature.com/books/geary1.html

These selections are only a tip of the iceberg of studies.

Facts are facts, and it’s empirically obvious that it’s the female that gives the green light for sex not men. Men haven’t been buying sex for thousands of years for nothing. You don’t see many male prostitutes vying there trade servicing women.

The lack of emotional bonding is another thing I didn’t make up. Without getting to religious here, the bible is replete with this message, a message that has stood the test of time. It’s not just in the bible, it’s taught through out cultures and societies from western civilizations to the tribes of the amazons. In many of theses cultures this message is taught in females dominated cultures by the female matriarchs. Ask yourself girls if you don’t feel you could take back that sexual history. Don’t your girls sell your chastity when you meet a guy you really like and want to stick around? Isn’t hypocrisy to claim your past or sexual experience means nothing and yet is the 1st thing you try to conceal.

Rationalization is just another word for denial.