The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
BLM doesn't exist to benefit white college kids, and it is incidental to the existence of the movement that it peripherally gratifies the desire of some white college kids to virtue signal, whether that desire is earnest, or misguided, or anything in between.
This is true, however to people who witness this incident either in person or the video, are more than likely to dismiss the whole BLM. Lets face it, for most of the public this not the age of deep thinking and checking issues, it's the age of sound bites, headlines, and slogans. Those are what motivate most people today and disruptions of the status quo, regardless of how valid the cause, make people uncomfortable. That's a good way to get noticed but not a good way to win hearts and minds.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #32
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This is true, however to people who witness this incident either in person or the video, are more than likely to dismiss the whole BLM. Lets face it, for most of the public this not the age of deep thinking and checking issues, it's the age of sound bites, headlines, and slogans. Those are what motivate most people today and disruptions of the status quo, regardless of how valid the cause, make people uncomfortable. That's a good way to get noticed but not a good way to win hearts and minds.
I don't doubt any of what you're saying, I just think it's the height of gross, white behavior.

Victims of injustice are now faced with the challenge of calling attention to the injustice they face, to an audience who doesn't know about and/or believe it, and in addition, to call attention to it in such a way that it doesn't disrupt the delicate sensibilities of a group of people who aren't affected by it and don't really care, and for whom merely mentioning it is an insult they will react aggressively to.

What form of protest is acceptable to call attention to a problem that people don't want you to talk about in the first place?

It's a joke. The whole thing is rigged.

There is no acceptable form of protest, so berating people for not jumping through the right hoops is literally disgusting.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 10-06-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
What form of protest is acceptable to call attention to a problem that people don't want you to talk about in the first place?
I know it's catch 22, but I would say repeated non confrontational mass assembly/marches to get the media talking about the whys and wherefores. After that pipe dream I got nothing. There's always a handful both fer it and agin it who will desire violent confrontation, that's what the media will show, that's what Common Mantm will feel represents what they suspected of the movement... or it's fake news. It's easier that way because thinking is haaaarrrd.

I'm first to admit it sucks, and I don't have a clue how to fix it. Maybe when Trump makes America great again by rolling the clock back to the 50s, we can start over to fix shit before it gets to this point.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

I wonder if it's more of a black people are threatening thing? One of my coworkers got arrested last week in DC at an ADAPT protest. They don't get much press, but they don't get raked for it either.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right, the ADAPT people are handicapped so no matter what they do we will still be able to judge them as inferior and feel superior. Now blacks getting all uppity and saying they're not inferior is a real threat, so we must keep them in their place.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(The thread can well go where people like s'all good)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #37
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
repeated non confrontational mass assembly/marches to get the media talking about the whys and wherefores.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure "repeated non-confrontational" is a good recipe to get the media even talking about the "whats". And nobody knows how to get it talking about "whys and wherefores".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're probably right, without a few window breakers, fire starters, and rock throwers it might not make the news.

I just saw this and thought it fit.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #39
Flint
Snowflake

The media doesn't report on non-violent protests, which leaves authorities free to kettle protestors, bystanders, and independent journalists alike, make mass arrests and brutalize everyone in sight with impunity. Fun Fact: these are the same Police they were protesting against in the first place.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #40
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
... disruptions of the status quo, regardless of how valid the cause, make people uncomfortable. That's a good way to get noticed but not a good way to win hearts and minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
... What form of protest is acceptable to call attention to a problem that people don't want you to talk about in the first place? ... There is no acceptable form of protest, ...
Quote:
... I'm first to admit it sucks, and I don't have a clue how to fix it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
(The thread can well go where people like s'all good)
Well thank you, that's mighty white of you; so, we'll boldly go where no dwellar has gone before.

People need to make themselves invaluable, indispensable, in some way vital to others. When I served in the US Special Forces, there were no black people. There were no brown, yellow; or, red people. But then, there were no white people either. Everyone there was the same color ... olive drab. Everyone was dependent on each other's capabilities and contributions to the team effort for their continued existence; so, they regarded each other as the same. This was actually taught in the qualification course and practiced in the units. It better prepared them for their roles as fighters/teachers in training foreign indigenous personnel.

There needs to be grassroots efforts in communities, by people who want to be treated the same, to make themselves vital to others. How that's achieved may vary from place to place; but, once it's accomplished and they've in some way become indispensable, the old adage When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow. becomes a reality.

If you want to provide meaningful assistance to BLM (or other such movement), look for ways in which they can make themselves invaluable if you really want them to attain parity. With parity comes respect. They have rights; but, rights without respect are fleeting. Keep in mind that where most people are coming from respect, like trust, is earned, not demanded. If you try to demand it, you'll fall by the wayside.

ETA: If you can't do this, learn to cut your losses.

Last edited by sexobon; 10-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So we need a tight well trained unit of 320 million people. Of course they would be suspicious of, and feel superior to, immigrants and foreign H-2B workers.

I suspect anyone becoming indispensable to a community might earn respect as long as they weren't making a profit from it, and a big profit would have the opposite effect. A pot dealer for example, indispensable but resented if he/she starts living flashy.
On the other hand, service workers like janitors, waitstaff, maids, even bartenders are indispensable to the community, but don't get much respect no matter what color.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #42
sexobon

Congratulations, I see you've learned to cut your losses.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I didn't cut anyone, Sir, I only use a gun, I swear.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #44
sexobon

We're letting you go 'cause you're only shooting blanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The clue is always not who it affects but who profits from it.

I keep getting letters from the ACLU asking me to renew my membership. Maybe it's time.
Saturday I got a "final Notice"(again), to re-up my ACLU membership. I'm in.