The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #631
glatt

Remarkable. I can think of only two stores in Arlington that hire teens.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #632
Griff
still says videotape

I would assume that under-employed adults take a lot of those low-skill jobs now. I see a lot of kids doing basically nothing (Insert pet video game rant here) and other kids are focused on school, sports, and what they perceive as resume builders. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I weren't driving tractors all Summer. Please ignore the previous as that is now an illegal activity.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #633
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I think it's more because adults are taking those crappy jobs right now. Even in 1996-1998, when I was a teen working in food service, my best friend and I were the only teens working in either of the locations we worked in. The other employees were all adults, most with families. One or two were earning extra income at night while they got a late-life degree, but the majority knew they'd be working crap jobs like this for their whole lives, and wanted nothing more than to eventually get to be a manager.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #634
glatt

It's a disturbing trend.

I want my kids to get jobs when they are in high school. Starting around junior year or so. But I'm not sure they will be able to. Having a crappy minimum wage job is an extremely important learning experience. Where else will they learn what it's like to have a boss who won't take shit from you? "I don't care if you want to go home now. Scrape that gum off the bottom of those chairs, or don't bother coming back."
Old 03-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #635
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I think the best possible job for teens is in agriculture. There's nothing like shoveling shit for months on end, starting daily at 0430, to take the entitled starch out of kids. In addition to shoveling the shit, they get to see the cycle of life from start to end, and how we depend on it. They get to decide if they want to support agribusiness or not; they get to decide what they think about a lot of important issues.

Whether it's beef, chickens, sheep, or horses, I say ship the kids to the country and let them experience where food/life comes from. They'll come back with a new perspective.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #636
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #637
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

oh, wait... there's a detail that makes this entire graph and/or chart much less interesting

Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #638
glatt

These charts are fascinating. I was about to post that teen one on facebook, but then thought better of it. If I want my kids to get jobs locally, the last thing I need is to raise a discussion with parents of other teens in my neighborhood about how teen jobs are worthwhile, but scarce. Don't need to fuel competition.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #639
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Philadelphia and Toledo win the misery index for snowfall this season. (But shhh there's another storm on the way next week)

Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #640
glatt

Interesting chart. I would have preferred to see the increase as a percentage instead of as a real number of inches.

The +36 inches in Caribou sounds like a lot more than the +15 inches in DC,
But Caribou was only 38% more than usual and DC was 98% more than usual.

Of course Philly is still misery center because it's like 216% more than usual.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #641
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I think the best possible job for teens is in agriculture. There's nothing like shoveling shit for months on end, starting daily at 0430, to take the entitled starch out of kids. In addition to shoveling the shit, they get to see the cycle of life from start to end, and how we depend on it. They get to decide if they want to support agribusiness or not; they get to decide what they think about a lot of important issues.

Whether it's beef, chickens, sheep, or horses, I say ship the kids to the country and let them experience where food/life comes from. They'll come back with a new perspective.
I'm not sure teens would make the best ag workers, we'd all starve in about two growing seasons.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #642
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Plus, how many of today's teenagers would willingly shovel shit?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #643
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think anyone ever willingly shoveled shit, I know I sure as hell didn't. It was just something that had to be done, came will the territory.

But I think you're underestimating todays teens. Spoiled? Who spoiled them? I think if they had to do unpleasant things they would rise to the occasion, it's not their fault they were raised in an environment where they didn't have to.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #644
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They're not spoiled, lots of kids smell like that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #645
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't think anyone ever willingly shoveled shit, I know I sure as hell didn't. It was just something that had to be done, came will the territory.
To me, that's doing it willingly. And I did it, too.