The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 19th, 2018 : Da Da Da… Dime

The Roosevelt dime, designed by John Sinnock, the U.S. Mint’s Chief Engraver from 1925 to 1947.
See his initials, JS right under where they guillotined Roosevelt’s head.

But, but, along came Burke…
Quote:
In 1943, 43-year-old Selma Burke won a Commission of Fine Arts competition and a rare opportunity to sculpt the president’s likeness for the new Recorder of Deeds Building in Washington, D.C. Burke, renowned for her Booker T. Washington bust, ran into some problems, since she didn’t feel that photographs captured Roosevelt’s stature. So the sculptor wrote to the White House to request a live-sketch session. The administration, to her utter shock, agreed.

On February 22, 1944, Burke met with Roosevelt for 45 minutes, sketched his profile on a brown paper bag, and engaged in a lively conversation about their childhoods. At one point, Burke said, “Mr. President, could you hold your head like this?” He invited her back for another session the following day. About a year later, just months before Roosevelt’s death, Eleanor Roosevelt visited Burke’s home in New York to see the profile-in-progress. The first lady told her, “l think you’ve made Franklin too young.” To which Burke replied, “I didn’t make it for today, I made it for tomorrow and tomorrow.”

Quote:
Sinnock had experience sculpting presidents in profile. For years, he taught at Philadelphia Museum Art School, and in 1917 joined the Philadelphia mint as an assistant engraver. There, he designed presidential medals for Calvin Coolidge and Herbert Hoover, and later Roosevelt’s third inaugural presidential medal.

In a 1946 interview with The Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine, Sinnock said he referenced old photographs and a “composite of two studies (sculpted in relief)” of Roosevelt for his work on the dime. He also sought “the advice and criticism of two prominent sculptors” who specialized in relief portraiture before submitting his final sketch to the Commission of Fine Arts on October 12, 1945. The new Roosevelt dime rolled into circulation the next year to much celebration—and controversy.

I see a difference, a big difference but who knows…

Da Shadow do.

Link
Old 01-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
burns334
High Propagandist

Good story, especially for an old coin collector
burns334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I thought I would find a left profile for comparison with the ones shown.
They turned out to be few and far between, but here is a good one:
https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wo...6x9.jpg?w=1600
I think Selma's is better.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I agree Selma's is better, so much better it makes me think the accusation he copied her less believable. After all he had to have skills to become the Mint’s Chief Engraver for 20 years in the first place.

But I'm not the Shadow.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

There are additional considerations when sculpting for coins. A more appealing design may not carry well after wear and tear. Notice the difference in relief for the different applications. Coins need broader, flatter designs to hold up. Mint engravers transform every design element to suit that purpose.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote