The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Canada

Quote:
Senators have voted to pass the federal government's bill legalizing recreational marijuana by a vote of 52-29, with two abstentions, paving the way for a fully legal cannabis market within eight to 12 weeks.

"I'm feeling just great," said Sen. Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill in the Senate. "We've just witnessed a historic vote for Canada. The end of 90 years of prohibition. Transformative social policy, I think. A brave move on the part of the government."

Dean said he thought the Senate functioned well throughout the process and he was proud of the work the Red Chamber did.

"Now we can start to tackle some of the harms of cannabis. We can start to be proactive in public education. We'll see the end of criminalization and we can start addressing Canada's $7-billion illegal market. These are good things for Canada."

Initially, the government had planned for the bill to be passed by both houses of Parliament in time for retail sales to begin by July 1. That timeline was pushed back after the Senate requested more time to review the bill.

Now that the bill has passed, it's up to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his cabinet to choose the actual date when the legalization of recreational marijuana becomes law of the land. Bill C-45 comes with a provisional buffer period of eight to 12 weeks to give provinces time to prepare for sales of recreational marijuana.
Making Canada an even larger threat to our security, time to build a wall.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

♪ ♫O Ca-na-daaa♪ ♫...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
"I'm feeling just great," said Sen. Tony Dean,
as he exhaled...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fun fact: the bill originally passed in the House of Commons with a typo, and thus legalized cannibalism instead.

Even better fact: the author of that article has confirmed on Twitter that the same typo persisted in the Senate version. Everyone thought someone else would fix it, and no one did. Cannibalism is legal in Canada.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Fun fact: the bill originally passed in the House of Commons with a typo, and thus legalized cannibalism instead.
Cannibalism is legal in Canada.
Yummy Yummy!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
♪ ♫O Ca-na-daaa♪ ♫...
er oh Cannabis
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sung whilst holdin' yer smoke!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Fun factoid (without citation): The top three anti-pot lobbyists are alcohol, pharma, and private prisons. The more you know. Feel free to make wild assumptions about immigration law and private prisons.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Glad to see y'all on the top of the news. The other forum that I participate on I started a similar thread yesterday. I am stealing that pic of the flag.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Fun factoid (without citation): The top three anti-pot lobbyists are alcohol, pharma, and private prisons. The more you know. Feel free to make wild assumptions about immigration law and private prisons.
I'm your huckleberry.