The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #106
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
The Angry White Man is not a metrosexual, a homosexual or a victim. Nobody like him drowned in Hurricane Katrina — he got his people together and got the hell out, then went back in to rescue those too helpless and stupid to help themselves, often as a police officer, a National Guard soldier or a volunteer firefighter.

Women either love him or hate him, but they know he’s a man, not a dishrag. If they’re looking for someone to walk all over, they’ve got the wrong guy. He stands up straight, opens doors for women and says “Yes, sir” and “No, ma’am.”

He might be a Republican and he might be a Democrat; he might be a Libertarian or a Green. He knows that his wife is more emotional than rational, and he guides the family in a rational manner.

He’s not a racist, but he is annoyed and disappointed when people of certain backgrounds exhibit behavior that typifies the worst stereotypes of their race. He’s willing to give everybody a fair chance if they work hard, play by the rules and learn English.
Well, I hate to say it, but I fit a lot of this profile. I may not be the rugged ruff & tumble guy, but I do my share - aside from that I think the auther is pretty much describing me.
Now that I know the problem - what is the cure?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #107
xiphos
Bryan.

I am voting for McCain. We don't know what would happen if we just pulled the troops out of Iraq. I mean, if we do it now, the terrorists are mad we attacked them and won, and will aswell attack us w/ another tragedy like 911.
xiphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #108
Tink
Why oh why?

Well I am pretty torn about whether to even vote in the Washington primary tomorrow. When the choice has been taken away from me as to whether I have a say in delegate votes (the state has already said our vote will not count) why go to the polls then? To what end?
Pretty pissed about that one.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #109
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphos View Post
I am voting for McCain. We don't know what would happen if we just pulled the troops out of Iraq. I mean, if we do it now, the terrorists are mad we attacked them and won, and will aswell attack us w/ another tragedy like 911.
What we do while withdrawing from Iraq of course is to focus on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border, something Bush and McCain forgot to do.

And why the vote in Washington won't count? Oh, among Republicans.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #110
Tink
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeater View Post

And why the vote in Washington won't count? Oh, among Republicans.
Republican votes count. Dems do not. The Dems have decided that the caucuses chose the delegates.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #111
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

So Tink, why not go to a caucus?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #112
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just in case I hadn't mentioned it so far, it's a lot of the same ol' same ol'... just as it's been since 1991, the Democrats still aren't peddling a single idea I want to buy, or couldn't get a better version of from either the Libertarians or the Republicans. And the Republicans are better than the Democrats and the Libertarians put together at winning a war.

That will likely remain true for a generation.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #113
Tink
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeater View Post
So Tink, why not go to a caucus?
I was in Vegas for work. Otherwise I would have. This is a first for the state. Totally sucks. BigV went but currently we are voting for different folks. I could have cancelled him out. Shit!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #114
Flint
Snowflake

I fixed your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
And the Republicans are better than the Democrats and the Libertarians put together at *starting* a war.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #115
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphos View Post
We don't know what would happen if we just pulled the troops out of Iraq. I mean, if we do it now, the terrorists are mad we attacked them and won, and will aswell attack us w/ another tragedy like 911.
Which is why extremists call them terrorists. They are insurgents. When American troops leave, then the numerous parties in that civil war must decide to fight or compromise. Of course, the so called 'terrorists' - Sahdr's Mahdi army - has gone quiet. A ceasefire. Arming, recruiting, and training for the eventual conclusion to that civil war. Terrorists? Classic mental midget propaganda. Sahdr is reported to be in Qom doing long neglected religious study. His army has all but taken Baghdad and is now awaiting the conclusion of what is only a civil war.

Since Sahdr and others have decided to wait out for the eventual conclusion, then George Jr can claim a mythical Al Qaeda has been defeated.

Deja vue Nam when the US government also declared victory following Tet. The year following Tet also was declared proof of an American victory while combatants were only recruiting, rearming, and rebuilding. Vietnam also was only a civil war despite rhetoric from the American government that said otherwise. If we don't stop them in Nam, then we will be next. How many times do we blindly believe the little boy who cries "Wolf"? Iraq is in civil war. If you don't grasp that, then you become fodder for extremists. "Domino Theory" also justified a war where the enemy of the people was more often a S Vietnamese government. Again, civil war.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #116
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

And why was there a domino in the first place? Because the US inadvertently propped some such hideous governments (such as Pol Pot in Cambodia) that the Communist Vietnemese had to intervene.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #117
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sorry, Flint: you should check back on which President got Vietnam going and which President unsuccessfully escalated it.

I don't think you did a good job of "fixing."

Ann Coulter was right about the Democrats' penchant for making war unsuccessfully, you know. Either a no-victory situation, or a unilateral and not necessarily accurate declaration that the war was unwinnable. Don't complain about starting wars -- not against the sort of people we fight with, who are invariably totalitarian scum determined to perpetrate abuses and inhuman regimes. Complain about losing wars to such wretches. We don't get in brawls with decent places that have democracies. That seems to be an essential, to my way of thinking.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #118
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Making war unsuccessfully like WW2 and Bosnia. And I suppose the GOP wars just as well(Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, easy wars that turn into 'hard slogs', particularly the last 2).
As far as I'm concerned Ann revises history just like her friend Dinesh D'Souza.

Last edited by deadbeater; 02-22-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #119
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

As registered democrat I am voting for McCain. It is my thinking that Obama can't win the debates. I am thinking the independants will come off their emotional high they will move right to the McCain camp.

I could be wrong and this strong emotialism continues and people won't use their brains AGAIN when chosing a canadate and they chose personality over substance because bush too said he was going to be a uniter and not a divider and he ( obama ) brings bad tidings then what?

I am so upset with the Hilary campain. If was hers to lose. grr
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #120
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

'Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3gwqEneBKUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUKINg8DCUo&NR=1