The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #6601
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We should all stand in awe that things always seems to work so well, and that the infrastructure issues that fail us are rare.

Instead we appear to be cynical and mistrustful of the systems, both public and private, that make it all happen.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #6602
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's because we only remember when they don't.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #6603
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yep.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #6604
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The sole item in this morning's post was a brown envelope marked 'HM Revenue & Customs'.

Most Brits will be familiar with the feeling that the cold, clammy hand of the tax inspector has just gripped them on the back of the neck when such a letter lands.

True to form it seems that I owe them some money. They've kindly agreed to extract it from me over the twelve months of the next tax year.

There's a lot of taxation about the place, but representation seems in devilishly short supply.

Anyway, I'm not going to start dumping tea in a convenient harbour.

I do have some standards.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #6605
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
They've kindly agreed to extract it from me over the twelve months of the next tax year.
Extract it? They take it, or expect you to remit it per their schedule?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #6606
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Anyway, I'm not going to start dumping tea in a convenient harbour.

I do have some standards.
Meh, it worked for us.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #6607
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Extract it? They take it, or expect you to remit it per their schedule?
Extract it... well, it's akin to dentistry.

A code is sent to employer or pension company by HMRC so that tax is paid at source.

You get what's left.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #6608
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you can't pay it with money you win with bar bets, card games, or playing pool. Better start uploading backyard critter video and hope it goes viral then you make more money that a stock photo of an egg.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:58 AM   #6609
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
So you can't pay it with money you win with bar bets, card games, or playing pool.
It would probably be OK to send them a cheque and discharge your liabilities.
I think Dad did that on one occasion a few years ago.
My worry would be that not only would they cash the cheque they'd still collect payment at source.
HMRC is not an organisation noted for efficiency and getting a refund isn't a task for the faint hearted.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #6610
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I went through that shit with the IRS. I'd cashed in one of my pensions, it wasn't very big but they withheld $300 in tax. But when I filed my taxes the IRS couldn't find any record of that $300. I didn't want to argue because that would have triggered an audit so I just paid the $300.

Three years later they sent me a letter saying they found the $300, and sign one of the four enclosed forms and we'll send you a check. The first form said I'm sorry I fucked up but I'm cool now. The other three forms were similar but they all said it was my fault. I refused to sign any of they because it definitely wasn't my fault. I'd give them $300 to make them go away, but I would not take the blame for their malfeasance. That's the way I roll.

They sent me a check anyway but when I opened it the damn thing was for over $400. I thought if I cash this damn thing they're going to nail my hide to a wall. But when I investigated it was interest of a little over $100 on $300 for three years. Interest rates were sky high at the time, I saw mortgages of 16 and 18%. Ouch
Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #6611
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The saga goes on.

Four weeks and two days since my last letter from HMRC, the curse of the tax inspector has struck again. It's a notice of coding for the FY 2019-20.
It seems that I shall being contributing more to the public purse next time round. Who would have thought that?
The letter states 'Please check the information below. If it's right, you don't need to do anything'.
And that, dear reader, is just the problem. If I could say that it is correct I'd be a tax lawyer working for a firm registered in the Cayman Islands.
I think I can say in all honesty that I'm reasonably financially astute but I find HMRC's methods absolutely baffling.
I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to wager a fiver that there'll be another letter once the new FY has bedded in. Mid May is my guess.

Yours sincerely,

Baffled of Buckinghamshire
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #6612
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Usual Wednesday grocery run this morning.
The first thing I saw on entering Tesco was large pallet loads of Rowntree and Cadbury chocolate tubs. You know, the sort of thing you have at Christmas.
There was nothing to indicate that they are part of the usual Christmas 'stuff' but they will be continually in stock until then.
Priced at £4 now they will increase to £5 in a few weeks time and remain so if previous years are anything to go by.
It's another eighteen weeks to Christmas, it's a beautiful summer's day, half the country is on holiday and the schools don't go back for another fortnight or so, yet they're shoving the festering season at us already.

And don't start me on the way people dispose of their trolleys/carts...

BTW £1 = $1.21.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:20 AM   #6613
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't you do Halloween?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:14 AM   #6614
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Don't you do Halloween?
Unfortunately, yes!

However, the tubs of chocolates have been, for many years, associated with Christmas which seems to start earlier every year.

The usual pattern is for them to appear just inside the entrance at Tesco and eventually they'll move to the ends of aisles close to all the other seasonal delights complete with Christmas merchandising.

I suppose it's a comparatively low key start to the annual binge but more seasoned shoppers recognise it for what it is.

Anyway, the temperature this weekend is forecast to rise to 29C/84F.

Melted chocolate anyone?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #6615
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Anyway, the temperature this weekend is forecast to rise to 29C/84F.
Average high temperatures in Philly are June - 29/84, July - 32/89, August - 31/87

We have air conditioning, it's lovely
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar