The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #31
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

We're getting sublimation here today. Really foggy.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
You guys having power outages over there today? None here at the house (obviously, as I am online) but tons in the rest of the city. And now they're announcing rolling blackouts across Texas for at least two more days while they try to balance the problem. You think they're going to have magically fixed the electrical problem just before it begins to snow? I'm not betting on it. Faaahhk....
yeah....they're doing rolling blackouts. we were off for 45 minutes yesterday and expect the same today and tomorrow. yesterday it went off at around 1 pm here in friendswood and came back on at 1:45. uh oh! it's one now. gonna shut down the puter for a bit.....and pick up a cussler novel.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #33
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Interesting--my mom commented that her home power had been on and off repeatedly, but her office (which is right across the highway from a hospital) hasn't had a single flicker, and she doesn't think that's coincidence. It does make sense that they wouldn't subject hospitals to rolling blackouts if they could avoid it. And my house, too, which hasn't had any problems yet, is also within a mile of a hospital. Sweet!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #34
Cloud

snow day here today-- No power or running water at work. not all that much snow, but very, very cold, strong winds, ice. Rolling blackouts and water shortages. We're being asked to "curtail" power usage as much as possible. 13/feels like O; even colder tomorrow morning.

Not as severe as some other places in the country, but we're just not set up for this. I don't even have any snow boots or an ice scraper.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #35
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

ICE here, no snow. Maybe on Friday. Classes are canceled through tomorrow at least. My boss tricked me into driving into work this morning, called and told me the roads were fine. He's a big fat liar. They were awful, I slid down a hill! Fuck him. Asshole. I'm pretty mad. Took me an hour to get to work (usually 20min) and the motherfucking idiots on the road were flying past at 50mph! I didn't dare go over 35. Yes, I'm kinda a wimp, OK.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

There's a trick to that, MTP. Ever pick up a cold ice cube? Notice it sticks to your hand? The same thing happens to warm tires. They tend to stick to the ice and give traction where none would usually be found. I learned that from a Canadian trucker. Just don't do anything sudden or you will lose it all in a flash!

Brian
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So you're saying I should light my wheels on fire and then I can just go barrelling down the road at full speed? Awesome!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

And as predicted, we wake to the 2 foot icewall at the bottom of the drive left by the plows. Yes, it's lovely that we can now drive even the little cars on the road..... if only we could get them the fuck out of the driveway.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #39
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We got six inches of snow here is east Texas. And they said it couldn't happen!

I remember when I had my wifi link installed. The guy doing the install was hanging the cable with a couple of zip ties and I asked him if that would hold up under the weight of snow and ice. Yes, I *am* from up north, why do you ask?

His answer: "Snow? You ain't from 'round here. are ya?" Done in his best Jeff Foxworthy impression. Guess I had a point. Good thing I tied the cable up with heavy twine later.

Pics later, when I find my camera.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #40
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My power was out for two days. Ice one inch thick - power lines down, tree limbs down and a couple who bought the farm using a generator to heat the house.

power back up since last night and the sun - she shineth!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #41
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I shot these thru the Kitchen window , its around 8F right now

snow birds 2011-1 by zippyt, on Flickr

snow birds -2 by zippyt, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #42
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yesterday, Feb. 9. It was 5 degrees this morning.
Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote