The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #736
Nirvana
Back in 10

I have never used the card in a restaurant or a retailer. I have maybe once or twice used it at a gas station maybe 2 times in the last 2 years. None recently. I use it to make cash deposits and these recent charges came before I made a deposit so I am stumped. I don't use it or that account for anything but credit card payments and they are direct bank bill pay.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #737
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It could be a staff member at one of the companies you're paying to. Seriously, it is often very easy to get those types of details as an employee.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #738
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Voting rights: I believe that everyone who is constitutionally allowed to vote should be able to do so with no interference. I believe that having states where in some districts the maximum wait to vote is 30 minutes and in others it is 8 hours is criminal. I believe that 'equal justice under law' extends to the voting booth.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/us...tiny.html?_r=0

Quote:
A Massachusetts Institute of Technology analysis determined that blacks and Hispanics waited nearly twice as long in line to vote on average than whites. Florida had the nation’s longest lines, at 45 minutes, followed by the District of Columbia, Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia, according to Charles Stewart III, the political science professor who conducted the analysis.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #739
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Amen

.... especially when the differences are deliberate against certain groups
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #740
Bloke
Almost normal...

Maybe I'm not getting it. Is it just a case of the more densely populated areas are having longer waits? Would increasing the number of places to vote decrease the wait times? It just seems a bit odd (having been through the system in Blighty) that there would be a problem like this.
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #741
Lamplighter

Ummm, Bloke... Examples are easy to come by

Given two neighboring voting districts, with equal numbers of voters.
.. one (Republican majority) has 10 voting machines
.. the other (Democratic majority) has 1 voting machine

Which has longer wait times ?

Given two gerrymandered voting districts where the Drivers License is a valid ID.
.. in one (Republican majority) suburban voters drive their cars daily
.. in the other (Democratic majority) urban voters do not have cars

Which has a more difficult time voting ?

There are many different versions of such games being played
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #742
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
Maybe I'm not getting it. Is it just a case of the more densely populated areas are having longer waits? Would increasing the number of places to vote decrease the wait times? It just seems a bit odd (having been through the system in Blighty) that there would be a problem like this.
There is a minimum number of machines per registered voter allowed. However, that does not take into account changes in technology. There is also the number of poll workers who take the voter's information to consider. Also, working class people who cannot take off time to work will tend to vote at the same times or on the Sunday before if early voting is allowed. Republican governors are keen to shut off early voting since conventional wisdom is that it helps the Democrats.

In the last presidential election, there were long waits in Florida and Ohio.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #743
Bloke
Almost normal...

Ah, right. I see it now. It's quite a bit different from over here.
I can see how people would get pissed at that system.
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #744
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Given two gerrymandered voting districts where the Drivers License is a valid ID.
.. in one (Republican majority) suburban voters drive their cars daily
.. in the other (Democratic majority) urban voters do not have cars

Which has a more difficult time voting ?
Thinking that urban people don't have ID is now a signal to me of armchair liberalism.

Care really hard about those people. Don't have a clue how they live, what their values are, or whether they have ID or not.

Guess what. They have ID. In greater numbers than suburbanites. Don't believe me? Ask 'em. I have, over and over and over again.

The reasons why this might be true, I leave as an exercise to the reader. As a hint, answer this question: what do you think will happen to you if you walk down your local street without ID? And now, what do you think will happen to an urban dweller? How will your experience differ?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #745
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Given two neighboring voting districts, with equal numbers of voters.
.. one (Republican majority) has 10 voting machines
.. the other (Democratic majority) has 1 voting machine

Which has longer wait times ?
Well that's only right, after all the Republicans have to get back to work, while the Democrats just have to drive their Caddy full of rugrats to the liquor store to spend their food stamps.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #746
Lamplighter

Quote:
...what do you think will happen to you if you walk down your local street without ID? And now, what do you think will happen to an urban dweller? How will your experience differ?
... walk down a local street in the suburbs ?

That's a silly question ... no one walks in the pale ghetto
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #747
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Well that's only right, after all the Republicans have to get back to work, while the Democrats just have to drive their Caddy full of rugrats to the liquor store to spend their food stamps.
And you just might be surprised to see how often that is true in some parts of the country.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #748
Lamplighter

Quote:
And you just might be surprised to see how often that is true in some parts of the country.
and some just might be surprised to see how often it's not.
... at least according to the Mississippi Press

GulfLive.com

Sid Salter
11/18/13

Food stamp myths continue to cloud farm bill debate
Quote:
<snip>
The stereotypical food stamp recipient in political lore is more often than not black, female and poor.
In that scenario, the food stamp recipient is a Democratic voter who identifies politically as liberal.

But a Pew Center survey earlier this year found what they called "a bipartisan nation of beneficiaries."
The survey focused on federal entitlements including food stamps, unemployment benefits,
welfare, Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare programs.

The survey found that significant proportions of Democrats (60 percent) and Republicans (52 percent)
say they have benefited from a major entitlement program at some point in their lives.
So have nearly equal shares of self-identifying conservatives (57 percent), liberals (53 percent) and moderates (53 percent).
<snip>
Without question, Southern states with high poverty rates like Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee are states where Republicans fare best in presidential politics.

There is a huge political disconnect on food stamps, particularly in states like Mississippi where food stamp dependence is highest
<snip>
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #749
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Take Ron Reagan's Caddy driving welfare queen homily, add the ridiculous welfare ghetto trap, sprinkle with some racism, shaken, not stirred. Then you have the perfect ammo for the rich to convince the middle class to hate the poor.

But not for long, because the middle class is headed the way of the Dodo.
While the people fuck themselves by shopping walmart and voting corporate interests, I think most can see what's going on but figure they'll be OK, and screw everyone else. Silly bunnies.

I personally feel this explains the decrease in public support for handgun control legislation.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #750
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
pissed off that I found mouse evidence this morning. MY house had no mice, but this rental one does.

Tags
limburger