The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #5551
glatt

Just got an email from my dead aunt, recommending a website.

Think it might be spam?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #5552
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Soylent Green.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #5553
Griff
still says videotape

razor wit!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #5554
glatt

*snort*
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #5555
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am unimpressed by Vanilla Float Dr Pepper. I wish they would quit trying to adulterate the greatest soft drink ever created.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #5556
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The weekend newspapers are somewhat bulky so we leave a large red plastic box on the doorstep where they can be placed thus saving the newspaper boy time and effort pushing them through the letter box a section at a time.

This worked well until a new lad took over a few weeks ago and contrived to miss both the box and the large laminated card inside requesting that the papers be left therein.
Easily solved by taping a note above the letter box drawing his attention to the red box. All done in the most gentlemanly and civilised terms and problem solved.

Fast forward a few weeks to this morning. The tail end of Hurricane Bertha struck the country and torrential rain arrived as per forecast.
In order that the newspapers weren’t chucked into a box with half an inch of water in it, I placed a tray on top which was a perfect fit.
Rain arrived as did the papers shortly thereafter. Now, gentle reader, you’re ahead of me here, aren’t you?
Yes, the newspapers were deposited on the wet tray. Why did I bother?

The delivery lad isn’t a twelve year old on a bike, he comes by car and, assuming he has observed the formality of passing a driving test, must be at least seventeen.
That’s right, Her Majesty’s Government has seen fit to unleash a lad onto the public highway system who appears not to have the sense with which he was born.

Irritating? Yes. There’s no more to be said.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #5557
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But... but... but it wasn't hinged.
And it was really Bertha's fault.
And you should know better than to order a large paper during a hurricane.

I suspect he's not doing a paper route during a hurricane because it's his first choice of employment.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #5558
Nirvana
Back in 10

I go to my bank to deposit a 5 figure check. Gal at the window says to me that it may take 7 days to appear WTF? I go to another teller she says its because its an out of town bank.I take my check walk out drive 2 blocks to the "out of town bank" who could not have been nicer but unfortunately first bank f'ed up my check by writing on the back of it, so I have to go back and deposit a check at original bank but first I talk to 'ass.' branch manager who is rude condescending and nosy as hell. Asking me why I would need money before 7 days? WTF do you need my money for 7 days? >rolleyes<
Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #5559
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Party-pooper answer: check fraud is rampant and they need the 7 days to make sure it's a legit check from the source, otherwise they put the check in, you pull the cash out, and they have to eat the loss. This is the same reason Craigslist tells you in all kinds of different fonts and colors never to accept personal checks or money orders from buyers, only cash.

Slightly more helpful answer: my dad's business relies on speed and the immediacy of the money he deposits. He closed his account at his bank over a dispute just like yours--the bank employees knew him personally and trusted him, but then a new manager came in and decided to be a stickler for the rules--and went from small bank to small bank offering them his considerable business, but only if they would put in writing that his deposits would never be delayed.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #5560
Nirvana
Back in 10

All they need is 60 seconds to verify a business insurance check that is all it took for the bank that the check was on to do. They would have cashed it immediately had my bank not f'ed it up. My bank could do the same thing Monday They are using my money and I don't get paid they suck
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #5561
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My buddy was here this afternoon telling me his personal and business accounts are at the same bank. Usually he deposits large business checks (often $50 to $100k) with no problem. But there are two tellers at one branch who put a hold on every check he deposits. The manager apologizes and says bring the checks to her but refuses to speak to the tellers. He's changing banks.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #5562
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

My husband's disability income is deposited directly into a Canuck bank. When he opened the account, he told them he wanted it to be joint. They said I had to be there in person, that he couldn't take papers home to me to sign and mail back. So to this date, it's his account alone. He's up there this week and will try to bring back papers to make it joint. Keeping in mind that we're both Canuck by birth, wtf. We have always been able to establish joint accounts by mail/fax in the US. This smacks of typical Canuck obstructionism. Just because some assistant manager can, he/she will make your life impossible. There's no way I can get to Ontario before next summer.

This sort of thing was the usual when we were there in '03-'05. Don't ever move there; just visit. It's very nice if you just visit.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #5563
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

At this time, bank tellers are tellers because they are one step above having to spend their days slipping on french fry grease, and bank branch managers are branch managers because they are one step above being in charge of a walk-in freezer.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #5564
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The hold they put on deposited funds gives the bank that many days of float. The interest they earn is daily. Multiply your check by 400,000 other checks being held and it pays them to have that policy.

Law says you must have the funds available in your account in order to write the check. They can verify it instantly. They actually have the money the same day, as they scan your check and submit it to the source bank that day. EFT occurs overnight.

Join a credit union
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #5565
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
snip--
Join a credit union
Word.

The bank doesn't work for you, ever. They work for the shareholders of the bank and their mission is to generate as much income as possible. That's hunky-dory, *if* you're a shareholder.

Join a credit union; presto, you're a shareholder.

Tags
mild cheddar