The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #196
BDS
Soylent Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
No that was sir simplesomething OH I see you are he and he you. Another sockpuppet -
So you're one of them then.

BUSTED!
Incorrect. I indeed was Sir_Simpletoon, from when I came over from the Safari. I thought I'd pop in tonight, attempted to register BDS, as I'd forgotten the password to Sir_Simpletoon.
Of course, in your great and wise benevolence, this forum is based on an activation system, thus meaning I couldn't post. So, I put more effort into finding the pass for Sir_Simpletoon, which lo and behold, I cracked.
But then, when this accout was activated, I switched back to here.

Would you like to many any more assumptions, while you're at it? Maybe I'm secretly a lizard overlord. Or maybe I'm actually seven people, each behind a different proxy.

Jesus fucking Christ you're an idiot.
BDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #197
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Uh, I was just bustin your chops - sheesh.
Dish it out, but can't take it much? WTF?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #198
BDS
Soylent Greenhorn

Hey, I can take it.
I just like to respond with... Shall we say, a more aggresive tactic than Merc?
BDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #199
classicman

Oh, you mean being a bigger asshole? It showed.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #200
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Oh, you mean being a bigger asshole? It showed.
Why should Merc have all the fun?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #201
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
My ignore list grows.
Sorry. I didn't realize you were a pansy.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #202
classicman

'This country will go bankrupt'

Link

Quote:
Even though he was almost a member of the new Obama administration, New Hampshire Republican Judd Gregg Sunday slammed President Obama’s approach to handling the country’s fiscal outlook.

Watch: Gregg warns of fiscal 'crash'

“The practical implications of this is bankruptcy for the United States,” Gregg said of the Obama’s administration’s recently released budget blueprint. “There’s no other way around it. If we maintain the proposals that are in this budget over the ten-year period that this budget covers, this country will go bankrupt. People will not buy our debt, our dollar will become devalued. It is a very severe situation.”

Gregg, known as one of the keenest fiscal minds on Capitol Hill, also told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King that he thought it was “almost unconscionable” for the White House to continue with its planned course on fiscal matters with unprecedented actual and projected budget deficits in the coming years.

“It is as if you were flying an airplane and the gas light came on and it said ‘you 15 minutes of gas left’ and the pilot said ‘we’re not going to worry about that, we’re going to fly for another two hours.’ Well, the plane crashes and our country will crash and we’ll pass on to our kids a country that’s not affordable.”

Despite his criticism of Obama’s approach to the long-term finances of the country, Gregg praised how Obama’s top economic lieutenants are trying to get the sick banking system back to health.

“They’re doing the right things,” Gregg said about embattled Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and White House economic adviser Larry Summers. “They haven’t done it as definitely as they should have . . . but they are moving in the right direction and the Fed is moving in the right direction,” Gregg said on CNN’s State of the Union.

Gregg broke ranks with some of his fellow Republicans and said he did not think Geithner should step down from his Cabinet post.

On the recent scandal of more than $150 million in bonuses paid to the AIG employees whose work pushed the financial giant to the brink of collapse, Gregg criticized the plan afoot on Capitol Hill to tax those bonuses at very high rates. But, Gregg pointed out that the Obama administration and, to some extent, the Bush administration before it failed to “discipline” the bonuses paid out by AIG, which is now 80 percent owned by the federal government.

The Republican senator was appointed to be Obama’s Commerce Secretary but then bowed out unexpectedly, citing policy differences with the Democratic administration.
I wonder if tw's buddy told him what to think and say too.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #203
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Really? They are burning down car dealerships and multi-thousand dollar homes to make their point? I haven't seen that. Where? /sarc
WHO ELSE is doing that? You are one of the ones whining about gun rights being taken away by the Obama administration. I have heard nothing in the news about car dealerships or big houses being burned down.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #204
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Not much of an admirer of the bill of rights, are we?
Yes, I am. But we have had this discussion already, and I'm not going to rehash it.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #205
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
You mean people like - - - - you?
I am not an ecoterrorist.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #206
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
This only covers banks getting TARP funds, and only until they pay back the money. Why should that bother you? After that, they can go back to their old behavior. Which sucks. We NEED pay reform in this country.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #207
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
We NEED pay reform in this country.
Pay reform? Is that code for we need to not let people more successful than me have what I can't get?

The companies that took the government money are pretty screwed and will have to play by the rules but well run companies who are able to stand and succeed on their own should not have any input at all from the government on pay beyond the legal minimum wage guidelines.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #208
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Pay reform? Is that code for we need to not let people more successful than me have what I can't get?

The companies that took the government money are pretty screwed and will have to play by the rules but well run companies who are able to stand and succeed on their own should not have any input at all from the government on pay beyond the legal minimum wage guidelines.
Agreed. Pay reform through government regulation is a stretch.

However, I do think publicly traded companies should be required by regulation to fully disclose executive compensation (salaries, bonuses, stock options, golden parachutes, etc) to stockholders with those stockholders having greater authority to deny or adjust such compensation.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #209
lookout123
changed his status to single

I agree with you on that Redux. Greater disclosure would be a positive as it would help shareholders know exactly what is happening inside their investment.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #210
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
What, like "the power to ruin the banking system with irresponsible bonuses and practices"?