The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ripper Street

K, I know I've talked about this before, but since its cancellation after the second series by the BBC and subsequent take-up for a third series by Amazon Prime, I figured it deserves its own thread.

Because, this show is awesome.

I loved the first series. Then the second series aired when i was a bit distracted by other stuff - I enjoyed it, but I dropped off it halfway through and then caught up much later. I always thought it was brilliant, but an indefinable something away from being as good as it could be. Massive promise, which it almost, very nearly, delivered on. Definitely worth watching, with wonderful characters and a great sense of place and texture, fabulous dialogue, and at times a really pacy sense of plot.

So when the BBC cancelled it after two series there was bafflement aplenty. Cue enraged twitter storm and Save Ripper Street petitions. Amazon picked it up. It's showing now on Amazon Prime, and then the BBC will get it early next year.

Bloody hell - it really has come back bigger and better. They used the groundwork of the first two series to launch into something really special. It's been four years since the events of series 2 - and the team's been scattered - some have grown and gained new strength, others have sunk and discovered their darker selves.

So - for the uninitiated, here are trailers for series 1 and 2

(and yes, that is Bronn from Game of Thrones - funnily enough, Ser Jorrah turns up in one episode too!)

BBC America promo:

Series 2

And the opening theme - which I really like. Couldn't find a vid of the Series 3 opening - they changed it slightly - extended it and darkened it up a bit. But the original is still great:

Last edited by DanaC; 12-05-2014 at 05:28 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
DanaC

Found a promo for series 3.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
DanaC

Couple of Clips from series 2 of Ripper Street. First one's like a Game of Thrones reunion, with Bronn and Ser Jorrah in the same scene :P

Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I realized I'd somehow missed all of season two after I got up to episode 5 of season 3, so I am going back to fill in the blanks. My main problem with Ripper street is all the whiskey drinking. Every time one of them pours a drink I think, "Gee, that looks good, I think I'll have one too." Even more of a hazard when you are power-disking through the series.