The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Last treatment ...

today. A huge relief, even though I will feel no different until 3-4 weeks from now - I'll have the usual post-chemo routine. Since I haven't recovered during these past two cycles I won't expect miracles right away. But knowing there won't be any more poisoning sessions is a huge psychological boost.

I still have a surgery to go, and a follow-up PET/CT to make sure the hot spots they saw last fall have gone away. Assuming all is good, I then face ten years on anti-estrogens. I have a dilemma about tamoxifen, which my onco wants to use (he won't believe my lab results that show I qualify for aromatase inhibitors; says I don't look post-menopausal). A rare complication is retinopathy that produces irreversible damage to vision. I already have had rare complications that have interfered with my vision. And I seem to be the queen of rare complications!

Not to mention all the other nasty side effects - DVT, pulmonary embolus, stroke, joint pain, muscle pain, bone marrow suppression - those are the most common ones. Oh, and cognitive effects.

Aromatase inhibitors don't have the retinopathy issue as far as I can tell, or far less anyway. They cause bad osteoporosis and high fracture risk, worse bone pain, cognitive effects. No clotting issues.

I wish I didn't have to take either one. I'm tempted to refuse. Have to find studies that compare no treatment to treatment, but they'll be old and rare - treatment is standard of care and studies only look at one treatment vs another now. Lots of women stop these drugs because of side effects but I can't find studies on them.

Back to the good part ... last chemo today!!! On to recovery!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Onwards, to Recovery!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
glatt

I'm glad for you that this is the last one. Good luck!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bravo, ortho. You're one tough lady.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Hooray for the last treatment! Good luck, ortho.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Have to find studies that compare no treatment to treatment, but they'll be old and rare - treatment is standard of care and studies only look at one treatment vs another now.
Don't all the studies have a control group?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*hugs*

Good luck m'dear
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
orthodoc

Thank you all for your good wishes! It's a big day. I may even snap a pic.

To answer Bruce's question, once treatment is the standard, the control group will be the current accepted treatment. Researchers won't include a non-treated group for ethical reasons if it's been concluded that treatment is a benefit. You could follow a non-treated group if you got the cooperation of people who refused standard treatment but were willing to otherwise be followed up for the same outcomes as the treated group. No one will do that study when treatment is already felt to be a benefit (although Dean Ornish managed to get control groups of coronary patients who didn't qualify for surgical treatment. It doesn't seem to be done in breast cancer research, though).

The original studies for tamoxifen and the aromatase inhibitors are what I need - how great the actual benefits are. But the control groups wouldn't be broken down into sub-groups that were careful to modify what risk factors they could; the study design would need both groups to be as homogeneous as possible.

I'd like to see how a group would do who refused the anti-estrogens but exercised, lost weight, didn't drink, followed a very low-fat whole food plant-based diet, drank green tea, included curries in their diets (curcumin is important but only works when combined with pepper and other curry spices - capsules don't work), etc. Like the Ornish studies, it would be nice to have one group follow an entire program and follow another group not on the meds but who declined (or were randomized into a control group, ideally) and followed their preferred lifestyle. The 'treatment' group would end up sub-classified according to how much of the program they followed, but also analyzed overall.

It'd be difficult to find subjects - they usually start on meds and then quit due to side effects. The fact they'd been on different meds for different times would be a confounder. It would be very very difficult to get approval for such a study. And funding - even more difficult. But I can dream ...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ha! Nice.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
orthodoc

My post was a horrible example of 'holy massiveness!'. Way TMI, sorry. Sitting here in the infusion center waiting room for 45 minutes and ... yikes.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
glatt

holy massiveness was the size of the image foots first posted. You could see the individual pimples on Buzz's chin.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Yeah, I gotta remember to check image size. That was 19" across
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

ortho-I will never forget my last chemo treatment.

god bless and follow your gut.

I will tell you this": after chemo I could no longer write legibly and It's difficult to keyboard. Also, I've gone thru menopause twice. And Im more depressed than ever feeling like a 70 year old in a 48 year old body.

I DID to to a foot doc who helped me a lot with calf pain post chemo (I would hobble like a 90 year old until about 2pm) and I'm still fooking tired.

I want to be a vegetable. I don't care which one...maybe a yam.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 01-31-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
orthodoc

I hear you. I feel like chemo has taken ten years from me - I hope my energy level returns, but if I do the anti-estrogen meds I'll have the bone and joint pain to look forward to. Not pessimistic, just realistic. Since my onco has warned me repeatedly about it, it will be an issue. He's otherwise very close-mouthed about side effects.

I'm going to lose all my fingernails, ironically AFTER I finish treatment. Nothing to be done. So far my neuropathy is all sensory, not motor, so I hope it stays that way after this final session.

I hear you.
If you don't mind my asking, did you decide to go on tamoxifen?