The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

Read any good books lately?????

I've been steadily working my way down the list of books I want to read and although it seemed so far off, the end is now VERY near, and I need some new ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll read pretty much anything if it's interesting, no specific genre. Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Right now, I'm halfway through The Stand. For some reason I've never read it before, although I like Stephen King very much. I'd like to hear some your thoughts on that one, too- but remember that I'm not finished with it yet, so don't give away any info!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I read two really good books in March while I was in England and had the flu - no TV, so I was forced to read . The books are:

The Jane Austen Book Club
Dress your Family in Denim and Courdoroy by David Sedaris

Both were really good. As usual, Sedaris had me on the floor in stitches! The other book - I will post the author later - can't remember it off hand and can't find the book - was really good. I've never read a jane austen novel, but I really enjoyed the characters and character development.

After the semester is over, i am going to read like crazy - and I can't wait for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

[quote=melidasaur]

Both were really good. As usual, Sedaris had me on the floor in stitches! [quote]

He is really one of my all-time favorites! It's not often that I laugh out loud while reading, but that is truly the case with his books. I've read 'Naked' and 'Barrel Fever' but my favorite for sure is 'Me Talk Pretty One Day.' (I love how he avoids saying the letter 's' in front of his speech therapist just to belittle her attempts!) I've been meaning to get to 'Dress Your Family...' but I kept forgetting to put it on my list. So thank you!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I laughed harder when I read Dress Your Family than I did when I read Me Talk Pretty One Day - and that book is hilarious!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

I bought it on Amazon earlier- can't wait to read it!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My time to read varies a lot. Sometimes I'll read 10 or more books in a month, sometimes I'm lucky to finish one ...

Right now I'm reading The Koran.

yes, that Koran. I get tired of people telling me what a book says, without actually referencing the book. As of now I am better than halfway through and I still haven't found the thing about the 72 virgins.

Lots of cool, sweet water is promised, which makes a lot of sense given that the religion arose in the desert ...

After this, though, I'm going to have to read something totally light, fluffy, and non-stresful, which mean that "American Jihad" will just have to wait ...

I did recently find my copy of "House of God" by Samuel Shem. That might fill the bill.

Or I might go back to knitting.

I dunno yet.

As far as what you should read? Lamb.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Canterbury Tales is always a great, fun read. The Wife of Bath is my favorite literary character! Ann Lamott's latest, PLAN B--MORE THOUGHTS ON FAITH is good, and you don't have to be a Christian to relate to it. Another goodie is SHADOW OF THE WIND and anything by Augustin Burroughs (RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, DRY, MAGICAL THINKING) and I must say I do like Philip Roth (PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT is hilarious.)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
...anything by Augustin Burroughs (RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, DRY, MAGICAL THINKING)
You just reminded me that a lady from the book club I used to belong to still has my copy of 'Running with Scissors'. That was a good one... I think I just might read Canterbury Tales- it's been too long and is really a great read.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

If you like Stephen King, "Everything's Eventual", a collection of short stories, is a must read, just hooks you in and you can't stop reading.
I'm currently reading "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright. Great book, gives you some insight into the personal live of the soldiers on the ground right now in Iraq and what they are going through. Definitly not a bed-time story book for the kiddies however.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I've finished "The Case for Christ" and "Refuting Evolution", now I'm working on "Refuting Compromise". But I've been playing alot of World of Warcraft, so my reading time is alot less than normal.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Erickson- Devil in the White City. Really interesting read I thought, historical narrative about the 1893 grand World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago and a serial killer operating at the same time.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

A tree grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
I started in once before and lost interest, but can't seem to put it down this time.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

HH Holmes is one of the creepier characters in American history. When I first heard of him, I was surprised that he hadn't become more of a figure of folklore.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

I don't have time to read anything that's not work related (or cellar related) lately, but this looks like an interesting read given the times we be livin in.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

HH Holmes is one of the creepier characters

Sounds like a movie based on Devil in the White City might be on the horizon...at least the rights are spoken for.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote