The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wull, as we know, all peoples are the same, all religions are equal, and all cultures are due deep respect.

And therefore, it is impossible to judge. We cannot judge, and in fact, anyone who does judge is committing the very worst crime possible.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #19
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

NPR is very diligent about referring to ISIS as "the so-called Islamic state."

I wonder if their style code would allow for the "so-called" to get added to more things, i.e. "al-Qaeada, a group of so-called Muslim terrorists."

Altho in retrospect they're probably qualifying the word 'state', not 'Islamic.'
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
For now, if I were Muslim, I'm not sure I'd want those neighbors down the street to know it.
I don't know about what they are doing around the country, but here, especially in poor neighborhoods they dress the part. Lots of women in burkas, and even more in one of the headscarf styles, but I suppose it could be a bad hair day. Men wearing kaftan/tunic style things over pajama looking pants. Sometimes just one of those Kufi style hats by itself. I see so many it's hard for me to believe it isn't a sizeable percentage of the Muslim community. Either that or there's a whole lot more of them than I thought.

As for the American Muslim community being low profile through it all, they know from past experience watching the Civil rights movement, the Anti-War protests, right up through the Occupy war (yes it was), You can't fight City Hall. For City Hall holds the power of White+Christian+money. They learned not to test that power having seen in person or the media, the savagery of racists who think they're defending baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet. "You can't talk to a man, with a shotgun in his hand".

Seeing these radical murderers twisting the nuts of the establishment, the Muslims say their faith and personal beliefs don't approve. However if they perceive themselves as a suppressed minority, I wonder if hearing about these atrocities isn't a guilty pleasure. You know, just a little one for our side pride you can't justify or tell your closest friend.

Of course that wouldn't make them dangerous or a threat to apple pie, but might explain the quiet. However I've a feeling if the Radicals actually were a threat to the US, the American Muslims would become vocal.

Remember, this post is just the opinion of some asshole on the net, and does not represent the opinion of the Cellar, it's owner, or affiliates & denizens.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
It would be better if the media referred to them as infidels and blasphemers or worthless garbage instead of dignifying them by calling them al quaida or whatever, ...
They have an obvious name. They are called extremists. People told what to think.

Their enemy is moderates who conclude AFTER facts justify a conclusion. It was always about moderates verses extremists. So extremist are do not even comprehend a simple concept: Our God.

Religious extremists worship pathetic gods. By looking in a mirror to find it. "Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who's the greatest of them all."

Mohammed Ali. But that was not the first thing an extremist was told. So it must be wrong.

Mockery of "religious reactions" (ie by sarcasm) is common by moderates. And so extremists say, "Kill them all. God will know his own." Another sad quote from history that exists only because extremists exist.

Even poison Apples were recommended by god talking in a mirror. Extremists always do what they are told.

The minute a religion is anything more than a relationship between one man and his god, then that religion is satanic. An enemy of all moderates. Moderates never impose religious beliefs on others. Extremists do.

Hate of Muslims is also being used by other extremists (ie UG's Islamofascist rhetoric) to only make things worse. Extremists always need a bogeyman. Who is Our God?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Remember, this post is just the opinion of some asshole on the net, and does not represent the opinion of the Cellar, it's owner, or affiliates & denizens.
Denizens - people who live in big exotic buildings separated from others, who pray to Our God, and tell us all what to believe. Isn't that also called a Pope? No wonder they want to kill him? How dare the denizen (who is not even a citizen) tell others they must serve the people.

Instead they will continue to do God's work because It is too pathetic to do it for Itself. Impose God's choosen religion on all others. It was the first thing told. So it must be God's will.

Last edited by tw; 01-08-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #23
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
They have an obvious name. They are called extremists. ...
There's no such thing as extremists. There are only enthusiasts. EVERYONE is going to die. They're just enthusiastic about it. They want to share their enthusiasm with you. You're going to die. No power on earth is going to change that. It makes no difference when you die since it won't matter to you after you're dead. Sharing their enthusiasm is a kindness.

Ingrate.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #24
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
There's no such thing as extremists. There are only enthusiasts. EVERYONE is going to die. They're just enthusiastic about it.
In the 60s we had love-ins. And the Matahari came to teach us the wisdom of self.

Now we can all have die-ins. And the Jihadist can come to teach us how to achieve that nirvana faster.

Every generation means a new spiritual revival.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:44 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmm... this guy might be right.

Quote:
The problem for a terrorist group like al-Qaeda is that its recruitment pool is Muslims, but most Muslims are not interested in terrorism. Most Muslims are not even interested in politics, much less political Islam. France is a country of 66 million, of which about 5 million is of Muslim heritage. But in polling, only a third, less than 2 million, say that they are interested in religion. French Muslims may be the most secular Muslim-heritage population in the world (ex-Soviet ethnic Muslims often also have low rates of belief and observance).
But maybe they can get help in their recruiting.
Quote:
Al-Qaeda wants to mentally colonize French Muslims, but faces a wall of disinterest. But if it can get non-Muslim French to be beastly to ethnic Muslims on the grounds that they are Muslims, it can start creating a common political identity around grievance against discrimination.
Don't know about France but it can work here.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 AM   #26
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

As you are probably aware of, there was a situation where some idiot who happened to be Muslim decided to murder a couple of people in a coffee shop here a few weeks ago. There was a lot of outcry from the Muslim population about this person and his non representation, but there were a lot of Muslim people who were also afraid to leave their homes, and those that did were afraid to wear traditional dress which is how the whole #illridewithyou thing came about. Christian or whatever belief Australians acknowledging that Muslims are not to blame for this behaviour.

It is radical behaviour by idiot filthy murderers. They should just be shot in the head at the first opportunity.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 AM   #27
Aliantha

These scum disgust me. They don't frighten me. They only serve to make me wish them dead.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 AM   #28
Aliantha

You know, I reckon international intelligence organisations know each and every name of these pigs, and I would fully support any government action to send in their elite soldiers to knock them all off in one go.

Let's see what terror really is.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #29
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Arab newspapers respond to the Hebdo attack:

http://imgur.com/a/zd5rl/
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Nice find.