The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

PETA KILLS ANIMALS

We learned that June 15, 2005 wasn't the first time dead animals were found in a trash dumpster behind an Ahoskie, NC Piggly Wiggly store. The same thing happened on the mornings of May 19, June 2, and June 9. On those three Thursdays, police found trash bags containing the bodies of 58 dogs and 3 cats. The final 31 dead animals were recovered on June 15 after Hinkle and Cook were taken into custody.

So when the next week rolled around, Detective Jeremy Roberts testified today, police were ready. They staked out the dumpster on Wednesday afternoon. They followed Hinkle and Cook as they drove to a veterinary clinic, to an animal shelter, and to the Piggly Wiggly. And they asked an animal-control officer to take photographs of all the shelter's animals for comparison with anything they might recover from the dumpster. (Not surprisingly, they matched.)

The most heart-wrenching detail in the prosecution's case so far involves a cat and two kittens Hinkle and Cook allegedly took from the Ahoskie Animal Hospital on the false promise that PETA would find them adoptive homes. Asbell describes the scene:

On this day, on June 15, [an Ahoskie Animal Hospital employee] called and said that they had a momma cat and two kittens, and they were in good shape. They wanted to adopt them out. When Ms. Hinkle and Mr. Cook went to the shelter on that date, they walked inside, and Ms. Tonya Northcott, one of the employees at the Ahoskie Animal Hospital, came out from the back, and said "You're here for the kittens, the cat and the kittens." … And she said "yes." She went back to the back, got the carrier, got the momma cat, got the two baby kittens, brought them out, and handed them to Ms. Hinkle.

Ms. Northcott said to her: "These animals -- you're not going to have any -- well, you'll be able to adopt these cats out. We've socialized them, we've played with them, they've had their shots, everything's fine with them." Ms. Hinkle looked at Ms. Northcott and said: "We'll have no problem finding homes for these cats. None at all."

There was a little girl standing in the front as well. And the little girl had adopted the brother of one of the kittens. And she was looking at the kittens. And Ms. Hinkle looked at her and said: "We'll have no problem placing, we'll have no problem helping these cats" … At that point, Ms. Hinkle and Mr. Cook left, they took the cats, left, went out and got back in the van.

Those cats ended up in a trash dumpster less than an hour later.

Detective Roberts also provided a firsthand account of the discovery of PETA's "death kit" -- a tackle box filled with lethal drugs and syringes:

Inside the tackle box were several needles, and several bottles of drugs. Some of the bottles still had needles stuck in the top of them. There were syringes in the tackle box that were already pre-loaded with the drugs, inside the syringes. Also in the van, we found manuals from the organization, PETA.

Roberts later described those "manuals" as "S.O.P. manuals" -- short for PETA's Standard Operating Procedures.

Lawyers for the two defendants spent over a half-hour on their opening statements. PETA's arguments (or excuses, depending on your point of view), are:

* Hinkle and Cook "acted out of love for animals" and "had no criminal intent."
* PETA kills animals because "there's an enormous animal overpopulation problem."
* Hinkle and Cook were just doing their job. PETA issued "a work order" (literally) and the employees did the work. Hinkle "was assured by PETA that it was perfectly proper and legal for her to go out and administer lethal injections of sodium pentobarbital."
* "Those animals would have been put down anyway."
* "It was a hot day. They had a van full of animals that were deceased. There's a certain stench," but as far as the dumping goes, "they shouldn't have done it."

The morning's biggest controversy erupted when Asbell asked Detective Roberts if Hinkle and Cook said anything when they were arrested. "Only that they wanted a lawyer," Roberts replied. "It was the first thing to come out of their mouths."

PETA Trial, Day 3:

And I thought these people were helping. What the hell?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes they do.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think they should try the "killing animals is alright as long as you aren't doing it so you can eat or wear them" defense.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
Ibby
erika

Okay, so PETA are crazy. What's new there?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Okay, so PETA are crazy. What's new there?
Where is the fact that associates Hinkle and Cook with PETA? If Osama bin Laden says he is a member of PETA, does that also prove that PETA destroyed the WTC? Yesman065 has again automatically declared something as fact.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you had followed the story when it happened, either in the news or the thread I linked, you would know they were PETA employees. Headquarters too, working with the head bitch.
http://www.naiaonline.org/body/pdfs/...nformation.pdf
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

now that is very very wrong. good thing that I have their pictures now....
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Where is the fact that associates Hinkle and Cook with PETA? If Osama bin Laden says he is a member of PETA, does that also prove that PETA destroyed the WTC? Yesman065 has again automatically declared something as fact.
tw - PETA was linked with the Taliban back in '97 and as you yourself said they were a danger to all animalkind - although you spelled it wrong, as usual. It is also clear and accepted that PETA was helping to smuggle weapons grade uranium in the corpses of the animals they euthanized in an attempt to provide Al Qaeda with the necessary component for an attack on the US. Additionally, if you haven't been keeping up with the trial, PETA was linked to Iraq, Osama Bin Laden, Afghanistan, Hezbollah, the DNC and several other terrorist organizations. They were an integral part of the first attempt on the WTC and successful in supplying the insurgents in Iraq with small arms and munitions - really man where have you been?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote