The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

If My Kid Plays That ONE MORE TIME...

...I'm going to jab fondue forks into my eyes!

My 14 year-old son has played System of a Down's "Hypnotize" every day after school for three weeks and I'm pretty sure it's whiney tonality is designed to make you jump head first into the television set. Why can't he listen to Fleetwood Mac like I did? What songs are your kids grating your nerves with?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

My kids are in ear buds. The little one is listening to Offspring and U2 the older one listens to... Mozart
Old 01-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
the older one listens to... Mozart
Sounds like me ... you're right be be worried.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ladysmith Black Mambazo-- Fudugazi Something about a tortoise who knows everything about the history of South Africa.

Actually it is pretty cool, especially hearing the incher say fooodooogazi
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
laebedahs
Abecedarian

I love that song, Brianna.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Maybe it only makes you crazy if you're over 30?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My 24 year old listens only to Classic Rock...adamantly. He is totally unaware of and uninterested in anything recorded after 1985. The 19 year old plays a lot of anime soundtracks, which are mildly irritating, but at least they tend to be Electronica, which has redeeming qualities for a synth head like myself. The 15 year old has the most varied taste of the three. Last night he came into the office and announced that he was going to go put on some Miles Davis and surf the 'Net. He is also a pretty big fan of Linkin Park and Gorillaz (I rather like both of them myself), plus he is much curious about the broad range of stuff I play, so he is the least annoying musically of the trio.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
My 14 year-old son has played System of a Down's "Hypnotize" every day after school for three weeks and I'm pretty sure it's whiney tonality is designed to make you jump head first into the television set.
I had no idea what you were talking about, probably because I'm 38. So I mosied on over to Amazon.com to listen to a bit of it. That song is horrible! You have good taste in music if you hate that song.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aw, get off my case. You old farts don't know what good music is, with your rock 'n roll and Disco and Folk songs and, and, and CRAP.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
djacq75
Rational Anarchist

My kid is 18 months, so no problems yet! When I was a kid, I liked the same stuff my mother listened to mostly, but I tortured her with "Sweet Child O'Mine" a few times.
djacq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you know, Spencer is 7 now and has the best taste in music. some of his favorite songs have been...: rob zombie's living dead girl; I alone, lightning crashes; civil war by GnR; desire by system of a down; pretty tied up( again GnR); big chili peppers man.....scar tissue, soul to squeeze, under the bridge; something by ladysmith black mambazo unomata something; paul simon.....dont remember which one....metallica-nothing else matters....~chills~

he made a cd with jinx's help before our NY trip this winter, and we liked his mix better than the one we made, so we listened to it for mmost of the ride. he has an ipod shuffle that he is wearing out.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

My kids get pissed off with me playing the same track over and over......current hang up is "ghost of you" My Chemical Romance. Often, they share my taste, but they tend to get fed up before I do
Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
Granola Goddess
I'll Have Sprouts With That

My 13 year old is also living with ear buds in her ear. But what blew me away was what she was listening to - "Afternoon Delight"...and actually liking it. My God I liked that tune when I was 15 years old! She also likes Queen. But then she'll do an 180 degree turn and be listening to the Gorillas (surprisingly I like them too).

My 9 year old, on the other hand, likes Crazy Frog and the Notorious Cherry Bombs. But that's my husband's fault.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granola Goddess
My 13 year old is also living with ear buds in her ear. ...
I don't want to harsh your groove, but the extended earbud wearing and especially the volume is a recipe for HEARING DAMAGE! Not kidding. It's sooo easy to but the volume a couple of notches, and it doesn't take much to make it too loud to be safe for extended periods of time. I don't have my facts and figures at hand, but you could look it up yourself. Deafness is a challenge, one that can be avoided.

[/psa]
Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I courted hearing loss the old fashioned way. Standing right in front of the speakers.

I usually shoot with ear protection (when I'm outdoors, I make a point of doing a clip or two without, since under a pressure situation, I won't be given time to put in the earplugs, and I don't want to startle myself).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote