The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Left overs

Chicken and rice from the freezer. DON'T. The dog is still out on this. I'll get her vote later. But I think it's going to be a no. Rice doesn't do well when froze. IMHO.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmm. I never have more than 'fridged rice. I suppose this is good to know. Maybe you should turn the rice into rice pudding.

Did a baked stuffed eggplant (called Mahshy) -- rice, tomatoes, onions, a little parsley, chicken broth, seasoned with salt and pepper, stuffed into dug-out eggplant with the dug-out bit diced and in the stuffing. The recipe needs some work IMHO, but seasoning experiments should yield good results. You can substitute salsa, cruda or cooked, for at least some of the tomatoes. Need to look into herb blends, though. It's the kind of thing you like if you like ratatouille, with many of the same ingredients. It's NOT Fainting Imam, but it's somewhere in the same family.

And since it was left over from the other day when we made it, and it had rice that didn't quite do, I'm commenting on it over here. What we learned the hard way was either bake it covered, or use cooked rice.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
busterb
NSABFD

Only time I make chicken & rice is when I bone out breast. Bones and skin in pot with rice. Then I have a bowl, rest to dogs. Last time I froze a small container. It's just not right, so never again.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Leftovers sustain me. The people at work say I have the best leftovers because my wife is an awsome cook. And I love to cook out on the Barbie. Yea, Leftovers rock.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

jinx cooks specifically for me to have leftovers. she'll cook up 2 london broils, slice them and bag them up for me to take to work... chicken breast in buffalo sauce, pr0k loin w/ bbq sauce...boneless pork chops.......mmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmm

...think i'll go see what's in the fridge!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote