The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Have gas prices affected you?

Has/will the increase in gas prices affect your driving behavior?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Have gas prices affected you?

Gas prices have really gone up around here.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
glatt

Yes, prices have gone up around me. So far, there has been no impact on my lifestyle. We don't drive that much, and we have a pretty fuel efficient car. Geo Prizm.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I'm more conscious about checking the air pressure in my tires, no more full car loads of people (I own a 4 door), and downshifting to slow down is a no-no.
So glad I drive stick civic
Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Its not affecting me either. The guy who pumped my septic tank today is another matter. His fuel bill has increased a shocking amount but he hasn't passed on the cost to his clints yet, hoping things'll shift.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It is TOTALLY affecting me! Gas here is 2.70/gal., which is, the highest EVER. Last summer the highest I paid was 2.13/gal. and I thought that was outrageous. Now, it's unreal. I do NOT drive unless I MUST. Gas prices are killing volunteer organizations...think about that...mom and pop denied Meals on Wheels due to ever higher gas prices and NObody is reimbursing---they all say, "suck it up"---a lot of us can't do that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

One of my buddies in Sweden told me the other day when we were talking about gas prices that he just laughs when Americans complain about gas prices. They're easily double what we pay
Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
One of my buddies in Sweden told me the other day when we were talking about gas prices that he just laughs when Americans complain about gas prices. They're easily double what we pay
I'm happy he wins that contest. He can trump me on gas prices. I Hope he pays 10 times what I pay and enjoys the bragging rights. Crap, 100 times would work for me.
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Asylum

It's affected me some. I've gone literally one week on less than a quarter tank of gas because I dread paying to fill it. Granted I live literally 4 minutes from work so I haven't been suffering too much. Or maybe the money is just an excuse to put off a chore that I've always hated. Probably the latter.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(identical threads merged)

I chose two months ago to get a larger, gas guzzlin' vehicle. It's irritating that the new tank is larger than the old one, at the same time prices are up, so while I used to fill for $20 I now fill for $50. It's a jarring experience. But I don't really drive that much overall, so for me the effect is still rather small.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Gas here is currently $1.139 a litre.

That's $4.31 a gallon for all you Yanks.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

it's pretty painful to my wallet. the airport is 45 minutes away from my house so i'm limiting my outings out there to saturday and on an as needed basis for sunday. the other day it cost almost $60 to fill my truck. i'm thinking about buying a motorcycle to help the situation.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #13
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I try to drive less, but if i drove less than I do now, I would go absolutely stir crazy... MUST LEAVE THE HOUSE. I do try to take the bus when I can or have an extra $2. I am hopefully getting a bike soon so I don't have to drive the car anywhere, I can just ride. I prefer it that way.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My 1999 Explorer 4x4 automatic gets approximately 15-16 mpg. These prices are *killing* me. It costs me just about $44.00 to fill my tank completely, and I get about 300 miles per tank. I drove a minimum of 40 miles round trip to work each day, and that wouldn't be so bad, except that I also drive 10 miles minimum per day on work business (reimbursed at a rate of .405 per mile). My outside activities tack at least another 40 miles per day onto my driving on average, so at 90 miles per day, a tank of gas lasts me 3 days and change. That is about 10 tanksful per month, or over $400.00 at present. We have two other cars.

Somewhere, some of Dubya's pals are lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills, and laughing their asses off at what a bunch of chumps we all are.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

I'm pretty stoked that I got rid of my SUV for a SAAB about 4 months back. The SAAB is getting kick-ass mileage. My commute is 46 miles per day, so I go through some gas, I tell ya, but BART and a bus would cost more. Public transportation sucks in Northern California, and in the East Bay in particular.
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote