The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-26-2001, 05:42 AM   #46
jaguar
whig

A fellow melbournian on cellar? Small, small world. What suburb? If you don't mind me asking.

I don't know any other bands quite snog, i find thier songs fall into 2 catagories, industial techno stuff or slower stuff with thsoe lyrics you were talking about. Best i find by far is Real wise yuppy/Born to be mild.

What is happening iwth RATM? I havne't ehard much and haven't had time to follow it up after thier lead singer left they seem to dissipear, he really was they guy who made it all work so incredibly (he says listening to Renegades of Funk...(and yes that is one of the few legal CDs i own)

I've only seen AUgie March once at a free show at the gardens next to the art center across from flinders, i'd say you'd know where i mean.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:23 AM   #47
dave

/me branches out of IotD...

alright. I have seen, in no particular order...

Eric Clapton
Rage Against The Machine (2x)
Korn (4x)
Orgy (2x)
Outkast (2x)
Moby (2x)
Incubus (5x)
Metallica (2x)
Tenacious D
Nine Inch Nails (the best show ever...)
A Perfect Circle (2x)
Snake River Conspiracy
Stone Temple Pilots (way better than expected)
Third Eye Blind (better than expected)
Bloodhound Gang (2x - they put on a hell of a show)
Offspring
Staind (2x)
Godsmack (3x)
Pantera
System Of A Down
PowerMan 5000
Deftones
Taproot
Pitchshifter (really really good)
Queens of the Stone Age (ugh)
Ozzie
VAST (superb)
Fatboy Slim
Ice Cube (2x)
Limp Bizkit (before they fucked themselves up)
Rammstein (sorta - they got pulled off stage by the police)
Mindless Self Indulgence (they put on an *awesome* show... and they're not well known, so it's cheap... got them to sign my cd... very cool people)
Everclear
Sevendust
Bush
DMX
Dr. Dre
Snoop Dogg
Eminem
Kid Rock (2x - god, between Woodstock and Summer Sanitarium, I can't get away from him... hate hate hate hate hate)
* there are more but I can't think of them now. I've been to dozens of shows... brain just isn't working for me right now...

Bands I Would Cut Off A Finger To See (rated in how many fingers I would lose)
Faith No More (3 - my favorite band ever)
Soundgarden (2 - absolutely great. underrated even in their greatness)

Bands I'm Seeing Soon
Tool (been a fan forever... finally get to see them live)
System Of A Down
Slipknot
Rammstein
Mudvayne
Fantomas

Great Shows That You Shouldn't Miss (i.e., will blow your mind and leave you changed)
Nine Inch Nails

Really Good Shows That You Should See But Will Likely Not Have A Profound Impact On Your Life
Moby
Incubus
Mindless Self Indulgence

Note: I don't drink or do drugs, so all shows were seen as presented. No chemicals altered my perception in any way.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:56 PM   #48
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Yeah, Jag, another Melbournian. I live in Burwood.
As far as RATM is concerned, Zak De La Rocha, the singer, has been replaced by ex-Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell. RATM and Cornell are on two different record companies, and due to the agreement between the two companies, the band will not be allowed to use the name Rage Against The Machine. They haven't confirmed a new name yet, but so far the music has been described as "groundbreaking" and rather Led Zeppelin inspired.

Hey Dhamsaic, I would also cut off a finger or two to see Soundgarden. They were my favourite band for more than 3 years but I never saw them live. And as for FNM, I saw them once in 97 (on my 18th birthday, actually) and I would dearly love to see them again.

And I wish and hope and pray (well, not pray, really) that System of a Down would come to Australia.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #49
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

And oh, Dhamsaic, Tool will leave you changed, too. Try to make sure you've listened to Reflection a few times before going, otherwise you mind find the 11 minute track a bit boring.
Unless, of course, you already know the song well, in which case, look forward to hearing it live, as they will probably play it.

Last edited by Parabolate; 09-26-2001 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:18 PM   #50
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A friend of mine here in Philadelphia is obsessed with Tool, particularly Maynard James Keenan, aka "Her baby daddy." I'm still trying to get into their new CD...I've had it since it came out, but IMO, it's a hard listen. I liked the Perfect Circle CD better. From what I've read, the Tool CD was put together rather quickly, and that may be why it doesn't sound very cohesive to me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 08:51 PM   #51
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Hmmm... a hard listen it is, but not cohesive? They actually spent more than a year making that album. It definitely takes some getting used to, but that's Tool for you. I quite like the lack of rock anthems like Forty Six & 2 and Stinkfist. It's a very fulfilling album to get right into, but it doesn't work for everybody.
I don't think Mer De Noms was as good as anything that Tool has done, except maybe Opiate, but it's still a great album. I would class it as the second best album of last year, after the Deftones' White Pony.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:09 PM   #52
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
And oh, Dhamsaic, Tool will leave you changed, too. Try to make sure you've listened to Reflection a few times before going, otherwise you mind find the 11 minute track a bit boring.
Unless, of course, you already know the song well, in which case, look forward to hearing it live, as they will probably play it.
let's crucify the ego...

yeah. i got lateralus the day it came out. i've listened to it probably (no joke)... three or four hundred times... so i'm down with reflection... gotta say though that my favorite track is ticks & leeches... though i wish they'd have ended the song with the last "suck me dry" instead of banging out a few more chords and speeding it back up... oh well... favorite tool album is undertow actually. that's what got me started. it's also got four degrees, which is pretty much my favorite tool song... been into tool since '93 and it isn't slowing down...

faith no more, i've been listening to since '89... i'm a retardedly big faith no more fan... have 23 fnm cds (only band/group/artist that surpasses that is nine inch nails - i have about 30 nin cds, i haven't counted them recently, though i could list them all off to you)... i was going to see faith no more on 9/16/97 but my dad wouldn't let me go (alas, i was 16 at the time)... he said "i'll let you go next time they come around, i promise"... they broke up in early '98... never got to saw them, although i had a chance in '93 and in '95... 'course, each time, dad didn't want me to go...

soundgarden... man... the reason i say that they're the most underappreciated band is because no one really looks at them as "one of the best" or anything... they tend to get heaped in as a "grunge" band... yet i put them above nirvana easily... maybe even above pearl jam... but definitely in my top 10... down on the upside is a hugely underrated album as well... i think it was a great last album... i used to not find it nearly as good as superunknown (which has been a favorite cd of mine ever since it came out), but i think down on the upside probably even surpasses that... when they broke up, i was like "oh well"... wasn't particularly moved or anything 'cause i kinda thought that down on the upside wasn't that great... but i've definitely come to appreciate it in the last 2 years... i'd cut off a few fingers to see them roar through a live show
Old 09-27-2001, 12:55 AM   #53
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find, that we are all one mind, and capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable...

sorry, got carried away there. It's my 2nd favourite song of all time, behind Pushit (especially the live version on Salival) and ahead of Third Eye.
Tool do have a habit of dragging out a song as far as it can go, like Ticks and Leeches, and then some more, but that's one of the main reasons I love them so much.
I first got into Tool in 95 when someone gave me a tape that had King for a day... on one side and Undertow on the other. Neither album fit completely on the tape, but I was into both those bands from that moment on. I copied the tape, and I still have it to this day. It hangs around in my car and on my desk at work.
When Aenima first came out, I can't say i got into it straight away. I was only 16, and a big Nirvana fan, so they were a little inaccessible for me. I didn't even get into Stinkfist for some strange reason. I'm glad, though, because i was able to get into it properly when I became more musically mature. This didn't really happen 'til I was 19 or 20.

As for Soundgarden, they were never really a grunge band. They were more of a metal band that just happened to come from Seattle, and put out a rather brilliant and successful album the same year as Ten and Nevermind came out. I thought DOTUS was rather underrated, too. I can listen to it from start to finish and enjoy pretty much every song, especially Pretty Noose, Overfloater, and Boot Camp. The latter is probably a tad too short though. It would be better if it lasted longer.

Aah, well, nothing lasts forever, eh?
Old 09-27-2001, 09:33 AM   #54
dave

man... i've been listening to DOTUS for about the last 3 weeks straight occasionally i throw some tori in the cd player... or some tool, or some nails... but i can't get off soundgarden for the time being... i think my favorite tracks are pretty noose, zero chance, blow up the outside world, burden in my hand, tighter & tighter, no attention, overfloater, an unkind and finally, boot camp. hehe. and yeah, it is kinda short. i even like the rest of the songs... those are just my favorites on the album
Old 09-27-2001, 11:10 AM   #55
Galadriel
Alphabetarian

I just turned 21 and live in Hicksville so keep that in mind.

Aerosmith (twice) favorite concert memory: my dad almost kicking some frat boy's ass
Cowboy Mouth (thrice) a religious experience, highly recommended
Caroline's Spine
Better Than Ezra
Built For Speed
Godsmack
Staind
Sevendust (twice)
Black Crowes
Creed
Candlebox
finger eleven (twice)
Cold
Systematic
Afghan Wigs
stuck mojo
Ultraspank
Clutch

and various opening bands that I no longer recall.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:58 PM   #56
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
Hmmm... a hard listen it is, but not cohesive? They actually spent more than a year making that album. It definitely takes some getting used to, but that's Tool for you. I quite like the lack of rock anthems like Forty Six & 2 and Stinkfist.
But given that "Ænima" came out in late 1996, I expected a bit better I guess. "Undertow" was great, as was "Ænima." I'm not saying that "Lateralus" is a bad CD...I'm still working on it.

Quote:
I don't think Mer De Noms was as good as anything that Tool has done, except maybe Opiate, but it's still a great album. I would class it as the second best album of last year, after the Deftones' White Pony.
I am not a fan of "Opiate," other than the fact that the album cover is cool. "Mer de Noms" is like Tool-lite, but I really dug it. I wore the hell out of that CD last summer, particularly "Magdalena."
Old 09-27-2001, 10:13 PM   #57
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
favorite tool album is undertow actually. that's what got me started. it's also got four degrees, which is pretty much my favorite tool song... been into tool since '93 and it isn't slowing down...
"Sober" started getting airplay in St. Louis in mid-1993. I happened to see them at Lollapalooza '93. At the time, they were on the second stage. They were sawing the heads off Cabbage Patch dolls and tossing them to the crowd...it was a good set though. I'd have to go with "Ænima" as my favorite.

Quote:
faith no more, i've been listening to since '89... i'm a retardedly big faith no more fan...
You and my friend from high school would get along great...he drooled over FNM. I had tix to see their last tour (when Limp Bizkit opened for them...I think this was their last tour), but sold off my ticket. To me, FNM was one of those bands that would put out a great album ("The Real Thing," "King For a Day"), then put out a strange one ("Angel Dust," "Album of the Year").

Now, speaking of Patton, let's talk about Mr. Bungle. I love Mr. Bungle! Particularly their first one. It's one of my favorites. And "Disco Volante" may very well be the strangest album ever released on a major label.

Quote:
soundgarden... man... the reason i say that they're the most underappreciated band is because no one really looks at them as "one of the best" or anything... they tend to get heaped in as a "grunge" band
Now, I wouldn't say that. Soundgarden, while sometimes panned as a glorified metal band, were an extremely talented band. Cornell...Thayil...Ben Shepherd...Cameron...all respected artists. They were the first "grunge" band to sign to a major label (1990's "Louder than Love")...and they were courted before that. I liked the way Kim Thayil described "grunge" once: "It's one part punk, one part metal, and one part somewhere between psychadelic and retarded."

Quote:
down on the upside is a hugely underrated album as well... i think it was a great last album...
I got mad at them for releasing that album. To me, it was just rehashing "Superunknown." Every album before that had that special something that made it unique...I just didn't feel it with that last album.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:28 PM   #58
elSicomoro

And for post #500...

It seems only right that I use music for post #500. So...what's in everyone's CD players these days? For me:

--Danzig: "III: How the Gods Kill"
--Nitzer Ebb: "Ebbhead"
--Tool: "Ænima"

and tomorrow, I will buy Ozomatli's "Embrace the Chaos"...and maybe the new Jamiroquai CD to boot.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:08 AM   #59
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

What CDs?

Shouldn't you start a new thread for this?

Anyway, I've got a 6 disc player in my room. It's a magazine-based one, so it takes, like, 3 hours, to change from one CD to another.

At the moment I think (I'm at work now) that I've got Down On The Upside, Alex Lloyd - Black the Sun, Slipknot's first album, Placebo - Black Market Music, Tool - Opiate, and I think Metallica's Reload is in there too. Lateralus, White Pony, Aenima and Salival all float in and out of there pretty frequently, as well.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:56 AM   #60
dave

in my cd player at work, down on the upside. in my cd player at home, lateralus. in jenni's car cd player, which i am frequently in control of, pretty hate machine.

going to work now. 5:55 am. slept on my hand funny and it's still half numb. hate that.