The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #211
matingara
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
Oh god blurrrgghh last night I had more calories than I've had all week. I ate like 3/4 of a pepperoni and anchovy pizza. Salt, fat, protein, all the good things in life. And my inside completely hate me for it today. So, so good, though.
you eat a pizza and worry about the salt, fat and protein? what about the carbs? they are the enemy in that meal (imho).

-- joel.
matingara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #212
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I really want to make this Southwest Ranch Casserole that I have a recipe for but can't for the life of me figure out what "tomatillo sauce" is. I am thinking it might be salsa verde. It is in a Whole Foods cookbook, so I am thinking it might be a product there, but don't want to drive there.

If I don't make the drive, I will have BBQ chicken sandwich and salad
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #213
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think it IS salsa verde bbro. Yum that stuff is good.

If you make it sometime please post picks and the recipe.

Yesterday, I bought a gourmet vegetarian pizza with artichokes,spinach,zuchinni,roma tomatoes and cheese of course. Oh and with white sauce.

There is so much left over it's what's for dinner tonight too.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #214
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Strictly speaking, tomatillo sauce is to salsa verde as tomato sauce is to salsa. Which is to say, your salsa verde may be a little spicier and contain more ingredients than a straight-up plain tomatillo sauce, but it should work fine in your recipe.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #215
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by matingara View Post
you eat a pizza and worry about the salt, fat and protein? what about the carbs? they are the enemy in that meal (imho).

-- joel.
who said i'm worried about them? Just acknowledging that they were there, and in some excess given how much I ate that day. But really, in general I find that it's not so much what I eat in terms of macronutrients so much as it is how much I take in overall in terms of calories. whether it's a block of lard or a pot of spaghetti, if the total caloric intake is below metabolic needs then weight gain just can't happen, i don't think. on the other hand when you go from eating just a little to a sudden large boost of protein, fat, and carbohydrates, that's when the body can do the "starvation mode" thing and try to save it for later. but if your intake goes back to being low, it'll go away again.

the truckload of salt is just the extra kick in the cahones to make you feel icky about it later when your mouth is dry and your blood pressure skyrockets. but man it tastes good.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #216
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

For dinner, I made my very own sushi rolls and am very proud of myself! They are simple cone-shaped handrolls and don't even look all that great, but I've got to start somewhere.

They were supposed to be California rolls but the avocado was A) a weird, low-fat variety and B) incredibly underripe. So just imitation crab meat and cucumber in here.

Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #217
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

wow, not bad on the hand rolls there, looks good

also i can tell you that making regular rolls with the little bamboo mat thing isn't nearly as imposing as it may seem - if you have the hardware give it a whirl and wham, you'll be making rolls before you know it. i always found that the most PITA part of the process was just making the rice right. the wrapping isn't bad at all, and this from a guy who still can't do a christmas present that doesn't look like it was done by a baby monkey with stumps for hands.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #218
bbro

Sky and Clod - Thanks for the information. I might try it and maybe blend it a bit just to get out the chunkiness. I am also contemplating using salsa I already have.

I will try to find my camera to post the pictures. I can't remember where I put it!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #219
monster
I hear them call the tide

Lunch.

My first attempt at a chicken salad American-style.

Yummy.

Chicken
bacon
green apple
red apple
celery
fresh picked baby green beans
onion
chives from garden
parsely from garden
sage from garden
mayo
dash of black pepper
dash of powdered mustard.

btw, the tomato and cucumber look nice, but don't really complement it imo.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #220
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by matingara View Post
Carbs aren't known (proven) to cause heart disease.
Every sucessful weight-loss programme I've been on has been high-carb.
When I'm eating healthily I am pretty much a vegetarian and get almost all of my protein from carbs (save a few dairy products).

Like anything else, complex carbohydrates are not the demon. Over-eating is the demon. I spit on the bogus claims of Atkins, which has encouraged people to stay away from high-fibre food.

PS - two nice dishes above, both spoiled by komkommer.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #221
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

looks good MONSTER. In fact it looks a lot better than many a chicken salad I've made.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #222
bbro

Chicken salad looks GOOOOOD. In fact, that is what I am having for dinner on a Martin's potato roll with a regular salad as a side. Well, mine isn't going to have as many ingredients. Just seasoned chicken, celery, onion, and pomegranate craisins.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #223
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Looks good... and I don't like chicken salad, no matter which country it's from.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #224
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Like anything else, complex carbohydrates are not the demon. Over-eating is the demon. I spit on the bogus claims of Atkins, which has encouraged people to stay away from high-fibre food.
No, like anything else, everyone's metabolism (and demons) are different. My mother has struggled with weight her entire life, and I have watched her eat like a bird since I was old enough to notice that sort of thing. Just a little over 2 months ago she took the plunge to cut out most carbs and specifically all gluten--and at the same time started allowing herself to eat as much as she wanted of what was left--and she has dropped 20 pounds already.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #225
monster
I hear them call the tide

Lunch (Banana Lady is 65 today)!

Smoked salmon, seasoned potato wedges sauteed in olive oil with rosemary (from the garden) and garlic, salad with viniagarette dressing.

(I added the cucumber deliberately to keep SG at bay )

Attached Images