Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #61
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Dear Financial Aid Officer,

Gimme what I want and give it to me now. Why? 'Cause I want it! Me me me me mememememe!

Disrespectfully,
Spoiled stupid (and probably ugly) ingrate
Thanks Spexx, old buddy old pal. I needed a chuckle.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #62
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

As long as we're talking aid money.

Dear Colleges,

Athletic scholarships go to rich and poor alike. Academic scholarships (if you even have any) only go to low income families. Why is that? Meanwhile, I have to borrow against my retirement in order to send my kids to college.

Thanks a lot, colleges.

Disrespectfully,
Pissed Dad

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #63
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Yo, Dad--

Market based economics, baby. It pays (us) to recruit athletes because their ROI is better than nerds. Besides, if you're smart and rich, you'll find a way.

See?

I knew it. See you at orientation.

Monopolistically,

Higher Education
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #64
infinite monkey

Funny thing is the first thing I do is bring up the file, to do the request, you know? Get it out of the way, a simple thing. I still wasn't going to call her back.

I read, through my own comments in the file (because we document everything in one way or another) she'd asked the question in August and I had the documentation. The procedure was completed on the day of the request. In August. Clown College doesn't know how to use the database and doesn't understand why we got rid of paper FA transcripts a hundred thousand years ago, or so.

All well and good. Compliances were met, in a timely manner. No number of calls from this student can make it any more true.

Clown College, don't let your kids do it.

Unless you don't want your kids to go to school, start saving NOW.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #65
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Unless you don't want your kids to go to school, start saving NOW.
Dear Infi, I hate you.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #66
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Dear Infi, I hate you.
I know you do. You and everyone's dog.

(disclaimer: the following are the opinions, sprinkled with fact, of a 10 year veteran of the FA world, and are not necessarily the views or opinions of management. Also, it's not directed AT anyone in particular...)

Who knows what sorts of aid will be available in the future? We've had programs teaching youngsters about saving for college. That 5 bucks from baby sitting? Put it in your college fund. Every dollar you cover is probably saving you future debt (loans) or your parents 'dipping into their retirement fund.'

Also, you can't possibly say that all colleges give scholarships to rich or poor athletes, but only to poor academics. Well for one thing scholarships vary as much as types of rice. For another, footwork...yes work goes into a real hunt for scholarships.

The governments current position is that a parent is responsible for their childrens education (to the best of their ability) until the child is 24 (of course, your kid could always get knocked up or married or be a veteran or orphan before then) but when it comes time for college it seems parents are mad because it 'neaked up on them.

Any and all of that could change, as FA changes with the wind.

And I've had parents who are mad because they make 100 grand a year but can't seem to afford the lowest tuition in the state.

[rant]Sell your fucking third Lexus. Or perhaps forgo the McMansion, sacrifice a bit...like my not well-off parents did. Or consider that since you HAD them that you are responsible for their education, and save for it.[/rant]

*shrug*

Last edited by infinite monkey; 12-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #67
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Dear Infi,

Too late.

XOXOXOXO,
Living paycheck to paycheck
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #68
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Dear parents,

There are cheaper schools out there. They give full academic scholarships to even the richest kids. The quality of one's education is what one makes of it, and working to pay off your own college costs makes one party less and appreciate the classes more. You shouldn't drop your life savings on their "dream school" any more than you should buy them their brand-new "dream car" the day they turn 16. In-residence state schools FTW. IMHO. YMMV.

Love and Kisses,
Only Got A Few Hundred Bucks a Month To Help With Rent
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #69
infinite monkey

:applause:
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dear Parents,

The rule about how if you go to college you automatically get a life has been repealed. Too many are going, and there aren't enough lives to go around. At this time only a few majors grant an automatic life upon 4-year graduation. They are: Nursing, Finance, Accounting, Pharmacy, and many (but not all) classifications of Engineering.

If you are pressing your child to go to college because you want them to have a life, and they are interested in a B.A. degree of any form, we urge you instead to send them to learn a trade, or to enter a profession with a decent ladder. As a bonus, instead of being a money drain, they will start earning at an earlier age.

Also, we have noticed that most colleges are just places where kids go to root for a corrupt football program, drink enormous amounts of beer, and smoke enormous amounts of weed. Although we are in favor of these things, we do not believe they should be automatically endowed to do so, by you or by society.

Thank You
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #71
infinite monkey

But let them learn a trade at a school whose credits will actually TRANSFER to a real institution, in case they someday decide to get a master's in that trade or that trade goes belly up and they find themselves back in school years later.

What do you mean I have to retake EVERY SINGLE CLASS I TOOK AT CLOWN COLLEGE? They SAID they were accredited. What did I spend all that money on? When I could've gone to Community for like ten times cheaper? D'OH!

Always ask the question: accredited by WHOM?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #72
Spexxvet

Dear Corporate America,

Colleges are just places where kids go to root for a corrupt football program, drink enormous amounts of beer, and smoke enormous amounts of weed. Please discontinue making a bachelor's degree a minimum requirement for any career that has a earning cap of more than $100,000.

Thank you,

Black lunged arthritist father who wants better for his kids.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #73
infinite monkey

Dear kids,

Follow your bliss. Be happy. Find a way.

Love,

A cock-eyed optimist who never figured all that out
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #74
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Dear kids,

Follow your bliss. Be happy. Find a way.

Love,

A cock-eyed optimist who never figured all that out
PS. I will not be supporting you when you're 25.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #75
infinite monkey

My mom: so, what are you going to do after you graduate?

Me: You know, a lot of young people are opting to live with their parents for a while after graduation.

My mom: A lot of parents aren't giving that option.