The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now glatt, don't meddle in other people's sex lives.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Your roads are a lot better than mine man. One of the reasons I went truck this time was that I was dead tired of having my teeth rattled and getting bent rims from potholes.

Of course running low-profile tires and gas shocks/struts to feel more sporty was part of the problem. But what're ya gonna do?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #48
glatt

SUVs and trucks are very popular, so you don't make many friends when you complain about them. Part of the problem is that most people get their egos all wrapped up in their cars. A car is a statement, so if I say I don't like your car, it's like saying I don't like you. Which is, of course, untrue. I probably also have my ego wrapped up in my car, but for different reasons.

I hadn't thought about potholes. I can see that as a reason to lean towards getting an SUV, since they have a higher clearance and beefier suspension. But I imagine the wheels of an SUV take the same beating that the wheels of a car take, all things being equal.

The bottom line is I wouldn't support taking SUVs away from people, or banning them. I just don't care for them. I wish there were fewer of them on the road.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #49
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I thought I was pretty clear about that. "Crass consumerism."

All the vehicles you mention are ones I'm not fond of. They are all wasteful. Although the trucks do have a utilitarian purpose and I don't oppose them when they are used that way. Most people don't need SUVs. When virtually all of your driving is done on paved surfaces, why would you need an SUV? I'm not going to support a ban on any of those vehicles, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. They are dangerous to the other vehicles on the road because they have so much more mass, they block visibility, they use more oil than my car, and people buy them mostly for intangible reasons that relate to status and feelings, and have nothing to do with needs.
It is not up to you do decide that for people, now is it?
If someone is into buying and restoring antiques, going fishing on the weekends or camping, can you define "need" for the type of vehicle they should buy. In my father's case, our family is in the citrus industry. A puny little car does not quite cut it in sugar-sand, fit men our size, have a place for my wheelchair.
"Most people" means what when it comes to doing what about what when it comes to the vehicles you are talking about? Be specific, practical and realistic and perhaps people will listen.
Sounds to me, more often than not, "environmentalists" are about status... most hunters I know are more environmentally sound in practice than the hippies that use that term.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I don't think he's saying that it is.
I see driving gas guzzlers as supportive of a pretty screwed up part of our national life. I do own and use a pickup in addition to my Echo. If we bore the cost at the pump of our enormous military subsidy of oil, I think folks would make different choices and would drag the Big Three kicking and screaming into a more responsible reality. As it is, we pay the subsidy through our income taxes and our children's income taxes, separating us from the reality of our decisions.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #51
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
--snip--
Sounds to me, more often than not, "environmentalists" are about status... most hunters I know are more environmentally sound in practice than the hippies that use that term.
You just need to run with a better class of hippies.

I'm just sayin.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
snip~ I think folks would make different choices and would drag the Big Three kicking and screaming into a more responsible reality. ~snip
Nonsense, people send the Big 3 messages with their wallet, not with mobs, even metaphorically.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #53
glatt

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what I just said.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #54
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Nonsense, people send the Big 3 messages with their wallet, not with mobs, even metaphorically.
True, but they are basing that message on the price of gasoline they see at the pump. The price of gasoline at the pump is not the cost of gasoline. It doesn't include the $100 Billion a year we spend in Iraq to keep teh oil flowing. (Nevermind that it isn't working.) If the price at the pump was the true cost of the gasoline, they might send a different message with their wallets.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #55
rkzenrage

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what I just said.
Just before your rant... riiiiiiiiht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I don't think he's saying that it is.
I see driving gas guzzlers as supportive of a pretty screwed up part of our national life. I do own and use a pickup in addition to my Echo. If we bore the cost at the pump of our enormous military subsidy of oil, I think folks would make different choices and would drag the Big Three kicking and screaming into a more responsible reality. As it is, we pay the subsidy through our income taxes and our children's income taxes, separating us from the reality of our decisions.
Big three? Gee... let's see what Nissan is selling lots of now.... hmmmmmm.
Trucks and SUVs are about choice and lifestyle. That you can afford two cars to burn fuel and hold twice the oil for one person is great, but not, exactly, saving the planet.
Soon they will be using alternative fuels and all this will be moot, have fun ranting.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 09-27-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #56
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Two two car solution is my dream G. Now that I have the truck I see how great it is to have one. But I also want something economical. The best answer, it seems to me, is to buy a smallish sedan and also a 10-year-old truck. Drive the car 2/3rds of the time, the truck when conditions are less than ideal and/or things need hauling.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #57
glatt

The two car solution is my dream as well. Small car for 98% of our driving, and some sort of large passenger van that has removable seats for hauling stuff or lots of people.

You can only drive one at a time, so you aren't doing any more damage by having two.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #58
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
basically what glatt said. If we had the wallet hit at the pump instead of in our income taxes or our children's income taxes vehicles would change.

rkzenrage- I'm not making an environmental argument. I'm saying, I'm tired of subsidizing other peoples vehicle/fuel choices. Between the tax $ cost and the body count in Iraq, you'd think glatt would get an amen on this. As long as we separate the cost at the pump from the real tax burden nobody is going to ask the automakers for a different rig.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #59
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
The two car solution is my dream G.
I've been trying to find a way around it but at this point, loading firewood in my Echo seems counter-productive.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
True, but they are basing that message on the price of gasoline they see at the pump. The price of gasoline at the pump is not the cost of gasoline. It doesn't include the $100 Billion a year we spend in Iraq to keep the oil flowing. (Nevermind that it isn't working.) If the price at the pump was the true cost of the gasoline, they might send a different message with their wallets.
I don't buy it.
1. How is anything were doing in Iraq helping the oil to flow?
2. Our international escapades seem to be completely disconnected from anything the populace, say, do or feel.

Are you telling me if we didn't import oil we wouldn't be the world cop? I don't think that's remotely true.