The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #136
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is, of course, the same discussion as ever.

The EveryYou believes that only the EveryYou's issues are real and relevant. Otherwise it's just crying and whining, and being influenced...nay CONTROLLED by The Man because we're just not strong enough to know ourselves and we get led around like dogs on a leash because you know, we're just not that smart.

I can think of multiple instances of that shit right here in the Cellar, but I'm not really as mean as all that.

It's the Painted Pretty who always seem to be the meannest of them all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sit in a corner with drool hanging out of my mouth. I'm amazed I can hold a job.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #137
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I've found, over the years, that it's been immensely helpful in my struggle to be able to stand myself to make sure I blame myself hard and blame myself often. Also, I seek the counsel and input of those who are more than happy to also blame me hard and blame me often.

Nothing has helped me on the road to mental health more than they have. I thank them. Think of all the people who can be too ashamed to seek treatment because it means they're weak and lazy and piggish...leaving more meds available for me.

Luckily, I'm stronger than THOSE weak and lazy and piggish depressed and anxiety-disordered folks, who are too easily influenced by the really good and strong people on earth.
Im not sure, but I think your ire is directed at my post.

You cannot discount the fact that our brain and body chemistry is directly affected by how we use it and what we eat. Yes, many do suffer from genetically determined afflictions that affect our ability to control our moods. I thought I was one of those people, until I started studying nutrition and then went on the zone diet. The 'twinkie' defense' actually had a point. I can directly control how my body and mind feel by what I eat and whether or not I exercise.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #138
monster
I hear them call the tide

I've heard you can control how good you feel by snorting cocaine, too. Iit's amazing how what we put into our bodies affects how we feel. Like anti-depressant medications.

Aren't over-eating and lack of interest in health and exercise sometimes symptoms of depression? Or are they always causes masquerading as symptoms?

Is that a chicken-and-egg question?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #139
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

In my case, Im pretty sure that my eating habits started the cycle.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #140
monster

I'm sorry that happened to you.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #141
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Even suffering depression myself, I do believe some people can lessen or even eradicate it with lifestyle changes.
Not everyone, and Pico is not saying that.
Not me - my first (undiagnosed) episode was when I was young and fit and drank rarely.

Look at how Clod has managed autism - autism! no one pretends that isn't a real condition - via diet.

Pico was able to turn around. That's good news, surely.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #142
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Hang on, I thought Pico was a dog.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #143
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Thank you, Sundae.

My point it is to get people to open their minds to the possibility that they might have more control over their depression than they realize.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #144
HungLikeJesus

We need an Antimanic round-down thread.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #145
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Having suffered through depression when I was eating a very healthy diet, getting plenty of exercise, meditating, and living a pretty wholesome life, and then at times when the pendulum has swung the other way and I was not taking care of myself, eating like crap, and staying up until all hours I was very productive and motivated.

In my case, it seems capricious when it strikes, just like my hayfever. Some years it's bad and other years I don't have it. Over 40 hayfever seasons I've never seen any change in symptoms that was repeatable.

I think depression can be caused by many factors simultaneously, and in any case exercising, eating well, and having a healthy lifestyle certainly can't be bad for you, they just might not be the panacea that we'd all hoped.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #146
monster

We need a born-again-jesus-freak and and a reformed-smokers-unite thread for some variety.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #147
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
My point it is to get people to open their minds to the possibility that they might have more control over their depression than they realize.
And you know this because your advanced degree is in what.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #148
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
We need a born-again-jesus-freak and and a reformed-smokers-unite thread for some variety.
Are you referring to JBK?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #149
monster

why, does he vanity search?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #150
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
And you know this because your advanced degree is in what.
Thats why I shared my experience. To offer up another viewpoint. I realize that I am like a reformed smoker in that regard - my view is narrowed by what I have experienced. (and a bit bombastic to boot).