Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #31
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
If you find a source, I'd love to get some Tottenham Hotspurs gear for one of my shrinks.
http://worldsoccershop.com/shop-by-team-tottenham.html

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...QQsacatZ137006
Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

thanx!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #33
lookout123

tottenham sux. just let him know.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #34
King
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
tottenham sux. just let him know.
That's a bit harsh.:p Are you saying they're no good or just that you don't like them?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #35
lookout123

it was harsh, but playfully so. i'm currently wearing an Arsenal jersey. I also like Watford - and they REALLY suck. unfortunately not able to spend the money to stay in the Premiership for more than a season at a time.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #36
King
Conquistador

Lookout, how often do you get to watch the Premiership?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #37
lookout123

as often as the fox soccer channel and my DVR allow. mostly it is only the top sides, so i don't get to see watford often. i'm a pretty big Jay Demerit fan (and underdog, in general) so that bums me out.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #38
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A bit of searching about and under $15 later, I have a lovely Tottenham scarf in my hot little hands. I expect that I'll just make some comment about the doc seeming a bit chilled on his way into the office this coming Wednesday ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #39
lookout123

good call wolf
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #40
King
Conquistador

Unfortunately Watford will probably go down due to the fact that they can't score, their main goalscorer Marlon King has been injured for most of the season. They're actually very good at the back though, DeMerit seems like a decent defender, at least for a team like Watford, and their keeper Ben Foster is on loan from Manchester United and he looks very good; hopefully he'll be our next regular keeper when van der Sar retires. I hope Watford stay up, but it doesn't look good. Maybe if they can get a regular goalscorer in the transfer window?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Watford were one of my local teams growing up. I still have a remote affection for them as I went to watch them play at home a couple of times.

Incidentally I went to a Watford v Luton derby when I was in my early 20s - oh dear. It didn't quite put me off football, but it was a lesson in how real football fans (and decent men) can get caught up in violence not of their planning.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The doctor was very surprised, and quite pleased with the Hotspur's scarf. I could go so far as to say he was quite chuffed.

I love it when a plan comes together.

When he asked me how I'd pulled it off, I just smiled and said "Magick."

Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #43
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
W.HI.P I have to agree with King here - the idea that two Leagues would be involved in a conspiracy to stop the two Sheffield teams being in the same League is frankly incredible. Every team would have to be in on it in order to fix the results so that they did not go up/ down, not to mention how frustrating it would be for whichever team was "chosen" to play in the League below - Wednesday in this case.

Yes, there has been trouble in the past between the two side. Yes, the teams have "crews" of hooligans with a reputation and the desire to spill eachother's blood. But the London teams have crews as well, and they play against eachother in the same city year in and year out. Also, why would this have kicked in this year (as King says, they played eachother last year) rather than at the height of the violence 4-6 years ago?

I do also question the idea that it is "common knowledge". I've asked a Blades fan friend of mine and he's never even heard of this conspiracy. Perhaps if you could point us in the direction of some evidence (at least evidence that other people believe it) it would make it easier to credit.

I realise that WHIP is Canadian, but if I may for a moment group and stereotype North Americans... ( ) I find that here in the US, the only news about British sport that reaches the masses is football hooliganism, and that seems to be reported with great glee. Not only that, but the majority seem to believe that the Hillsborough Disaster was a result of "fan" violence. It's often cited as a prime example of British Soccer Hooliganism. For those unenlightened in North America, it was entirely due to poor planning, organization and stadium design.

I went to the footy in the UK -the Sheffied rivalry is one of the most friendly ones afaict. Birmingham is the most fractious, in my experence, Manchester is a bit hairy, but so many fans are from outside the city that the real rivalries are actually kept away from the stadiums. In my (admitedlt limited) experience.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #44
W.HI.P
Free

Your assumptions about me are wrong.
Going to the whole N.American thing does not apply here.
The violence between the fans from sheffield take place outside of the stadium, usually for months after a game.

In 10 years from now, when they've somehow avoided playing in the same division, you can call it a coincidence, but I know better.

Last edited by W.HI.P; 01-04-2007 at 11:14 PM.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 AM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
Your assumptions about me are wrong.
Going to the whole N.American thing does not apply here.
The violence between the fans from sheffield take place outside of the stadium, usually for months after a game.

In 10 years from now, when they've somehow avoided playing in the same division, you can call it a coincidence, but I know better.
Mmmm OK.

(Lived in Sheffield area for several years........ must've changed a whole shitload since I was last there......)

I don't debate your expertise at predicting game outcomes -you clearly know your stuff- but your assesment of the "sheffield rivalry" is utter bollocks. It may be that those in power in the English Leagues share your opinion and fix games as per your prediction (doubt it, but then I don't believe in Santa or God either....) but that doesn't make the "alleged" violence potential any more true.

The truth may be irrelevant from a gambling POV, but a win doesn't equal the truth.