The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

7-16-2014: Gee Bee model R

Aww, isn't that a cute aeroplane. Well only, if you think a skunk is a kitty cat, or a viper is a garden hose.
Quote:
The Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster is a classic airplane designed by Granville Brothers Aircraft of Springfield, Massachusetts, and built specifically for the 1932 Thompson Trophy Race. The airplane was billed as "the fastest and most maneuverable licensed airplane for its horsepower in the United States", and it kept up to its name winning the 1932 race for pilot Jimmy Doolittle, and setting a new world landplane speed record of 476 km/h. The Gee Bee Sportsters soon became a prized possession and were frequently shown off at airshows by their owners, attracting much attention wherever they appeared.

Quote:
However, his extreme rearward placement allowed the forward fuselage to block all forward-low views over and out past the engine. Similarly, the small cockpit window areas forced the pilot to work harder than most.
The Gee Bee Model R also had a natural tendency to lift, allowing for the racer to make breakneck turns around pylons while maintaining or gaining altitude as opposed to losing it. This design, although inherently beneficial, provided for some deadly flying experiences for many of her pilots.
Like most motorized machines designed for the very best drivers/pilots, they always trade off some safer handling to be on the cutting edge of a particular school of racing.

Quote:
The Granville aircrafts has a long history of crashes starting from earlier models - Model X, Model C, Model D, Model E, Model Y and Model Z, all of which ended with some catastrophe or the other killing many pilots in the process, including one of the Granville brother Z.D. Granville. Model R followed the same pattern. After the 5th major accident, it was decided that any further rebuilds would be pointless and potentially fatal for future pilots.

None of the original Gee Bee Sportster Series aircraft survive today. A flying replica of the R-2 was built by Steve Wolf and Delmar Benjamin who flew it in aerobatic routine at numerous airshows demonstrating what the misunderstood aircraft is capable in the hands of a pilot who understands its characteristics.
Sure are fun to watch, but maybe some of that is knowing things could go to hell in a hurry.

link
Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I'd like to see a pontoon version.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's pretty much wings bolted to an engine, innit?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Pretty high cool factor.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
glatt

This is probably sacrilege, but it would be pretty easy today to put a small and unobtrusive camera underneath pointing downward and have a small display in the cockpit for the pilot to see where the hell they are going.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I never flew a tail dragger so I can't speak from experience, but I bet that thing was a pig to land and worse to taxy.

Last edited by Carruthers; 07-17-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

short and thick, just the way I like 'em.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I had a model of this when I was a lad
Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
This is probably sacrilege, but it would be pretty easy today to put a small and unobtrusive camera underneath pointing downward and have a small display in the cockpit for the pilot to see where the hell they are going.
Yes, there are ways to compensate for the restrictions they put up with to fly a cutting edge racer. But this isn't a design you'd want to fly on a daily basis. It would be a hangar queen that only came out to play on special occasions.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He's just trying to find uses for that GoPro.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote