The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #31
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I call our dishwasher Jose. I don't even know his real name. Does that make me a bad person?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #33
chrisinhouston
Professor

We decided to replace our 10 year old GE Profile model because it had black mold in the bottom and around the gasket that we couldn't seem to get rid of and after 10 years it seemed about the right time. Also, Texas was doing some kind of energy appliance rebate program so we could get back $160 if we installed a new energy efficient model and had the old one hauled off to be destroyed or sold to Mexico or whatever they do with them.

Went to Lowes and ordered a fancy $600 Kitchenaid stainless steel model. Delivery day comes and Lowes calls saying they can't find one and it will be another 2 weeks. We say no and call Lowes national customer service line and an hour later the store manager calls saying he found one and is having it sent over right away.

I install it and it runs fine for about 6 weeks and then the soap dispense door quits opening. Request a warranty service call and the guy finds that the plug to the door solenoid is not connected tightly... Chinese kid must have been distracted at assembly plant.

Washer works fine for another 6-8 weeks and then starts shutting off after only a few minutes after startup. Call and request another service call. This guy says I should turn up the water heater temp which I do and cleans some parts and says everything should be fine now.

That night I run the machine and it quits again, of course it is Friday of a 3 day holiday weekend... I call on Tuesday and he can't come back until Thursday... He arrives and says the "computer" console is bad and needs to be replaced but he has to order it and it will take 1-2 weeks... must be a slow boat from China.

Part comes in and he installs it and it has worked fine since then but it sure doesn't say much for what everyone told us was the best model DW out there and it cost over $600!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #34
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
I call our dishwasher Jose. I don't even know his real name. Does that make me a bad person?
Only if he is a member of your family.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #35
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I wouldn't recognise our dishwasher at school unless it had Mr S - our caretaker - inside it. And yes, it's a machine, Mr S is not Sheldon.

Apparently it worked perfectly for a couple of years, so perhaps it was my arrival that scrambled it.
There is something wrong every week. Right now the door catch/ mechanism seems to be bust, as there is a notice on the door warning that when opening it is very heavy. It sounds silly, but it's true - you go to open it as usual and it nearly drops out of your hands.

At least it's not leaking any more.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

I've got a GE Potscrubber - 13 years old now, and running fine. Never had a problem with it, as a matter of fact.

I never buy warranties on appliances, either. What I DO have is a home warranty, which covers all appliances, electrical, and plumbing problems. I pay $37 a month for this warranty; when something (anything) goes wrong, I call them up, they give me the name/number of their local repair contractor that fixes whatever it is that's broken. The repair guy comes and I give him $60, which guarantees that the item will be fixed and/or replaced. End of story.

Two years ago, my water heater started leaking. The repair guy deemed it unfixable. Because the original was an odd size, the replacement water heater would have cost me $700, plus another who knows how much to have it installed. I got that new puppy put in for $60.

I've used that home warranty a few times for plumbing troubles, got the fan on my heat pump replaced last year, got a new motor in my dryer, and got a new ice maker for my fridge, too. It's an awesome deal, particularly for people with older homes that need frequent repairs.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
monster
I hear them call the tide

So....exactly 4 years later, it dead. and no, we didn't buy the 5-year warranty.

Trying to decide between Samsung and Whirlpool as replacement, tending towards Samsung.

July 4th sale ends tomorrow, quick decisions to be made.....
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #38
glatt

Consumer Reports 2015 Buying Guide lists Samsung as the worst brand and Whirlpool as the second best brand for reliability. Bosch is best for reliability according to them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #39
glatt

Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #40
monster

thanks, glatt, that changed beest's mind pdq
Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I have a Hotpoint dishwasher right now that I bought used, and installed myself. That was at least ten years ago. I have installed a couple of them, they're not especially difficult to install, except the clearance for the plumbing/electrical when sliding it in under the counter can be difficult.

I don't have any experience with repairs, really. I've cleaned the filters, repaired (reconnected the clips, wheels, etc) racks, cleaned pipes and vents all myself. No warranty, and no giant investment to justify a repairman. But also no problems that necessitated one.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #42
John Adams
Founder of Freedom

We had an LG for about two weeks, bought it new, it would only get through the cycle once every three times, it was truly horrific. Replaced it with a maytag and it has worked perfectly for about 3 years now.

The previous one was a GE that lasted about 11 years, still works but it had an occasional slow drain the last year we used it, decided to replace instead of repair since it was 11 years old.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
monster

Beest installs them. When the electric panel is fried, it's not worth trying to repair it. We bought the Whirlpool, but we have to wait until Thursday for delivery Guess I should go do another sinkful of washing up....
Old 07-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #44
glatt

We got a GE like 15 years ago, and there was a recall on ours. A technician came out and replaced the panel with a new redesigned one for free. I wish in hindsight that I had asked for the old panel. It worked perfectly well, and would make a nice backup that could extend the life of the washer if this one ever fails.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #45
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ours is a Kenmore Elite, less than 1 year old when we bought the house, which was just over 8 years ago. Every once in a long while the soap door sticks and doesn't open during the cycle, but other than that it's chugged along without a problem.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote