The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #1531
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The coolest thing I've seen in a long time. More than a chart, more than a graph, more than a woman

https://earth.nullschool.net/about.html

Mesmerizing. Click on "earth" to open the menu.

Cancel this afternoon's appointments.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...53.793,-28.349
I think someone here put that up not too long ago, Glatt, maybe.

Very time consuming site.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #1532
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

re: the NYT graph about millennial men:

https://scatter.wordpress.com/2017/0...irmation-bias/

TL;DR: the NYT graph uses a really small sample size, doesn't include 2016 data.

Quote:
The GSS surveys are pretty small – about 2,000-3,000 per wave – so once you split by sample, and then split by age, and then exclude the older millennials (age 26-34) who don’t show any negative trend in gender equality, you’re left with cells of about 60-100 men ages 18-25 per wave. Standard errors on any given year are 6-8 percent.
Attached Images

gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #1533
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

WOW good work gvidas.

Garbage statistics in the NY fuckin' Times...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #1534
Griff
still says videotape

I guess that's how Dewey beats Truman.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #1535
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
exclude the older millennials (age 26-34) who don’t show any negative trend in gender equality,
But the graph does indicate that in the labeling? Are they talking about why, rather than what, it shows?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #1536
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But the graph does indicate that in the labeling? Are they talking about why, rather than what, it shows?
Well, the graph you posted did say "Young people, old views". It did not say millenials, where gvidas substituted that label. Both graphs clearly indicate which age groups are being illustrated. the NYT did not say that millenials are ages 18-25.

As for "why", the author of the original NYT article does offer an opinion, supporting it with other studies. Her main thrust is that uncertain economic times have made it necessary, but much more difficult given the dearth of family friendly work and social policies. She suggests that it's unsurprising that the participants in the survey would *want* an environment where one partner would be the "breadwinner" and the other partner would be the "homemaker".
From the NYT article:
Quote:
As a set of reports released Friday by the Council on Contemporary Families reveals, fewer of the youngest millennials, those aged 18 to 25, support egalitarian family arrangements than did the same age group 20 years earlier.
It might be the fucking New York Times, but they're a serious journalistic enterprise, even extending those standards to the Opinion pages, as evidenced by this:
Quote:
Update: After this article was posted, 2016 data from the General Social Survey became available, adding some nuance to this analysis. The latest numbers show a rebound in young men’s disagreement with the claim that male-breadwinner families are superior. The trend still confirms a rise in traditionalism among high school seniors and 18-to-25-year-olds, but the new data shows that this rise is no longer driven mainly by young men, as it was in the General Social Survey results from 1994 through 2014.
Despite the fact that the new evidence reduces the size of the statistical evidence the author points to in her essay, she includes it nonetheless. I find this a reassuring hallmark of honesty and integrity. She, like the New York Times overall, wants to get the story right, and wants to keep getting the story right. This in contrast to "Believe me."
Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #1537
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what the fuck are you talking about, the graph I posted had nothing to do with millennials or the NYT.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #1538
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

CORRECTION:

My mistake. The graph Undertoad posted. All else remains the same.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #1539
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Forget zombies, as the climate warms Dragons may reappear.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #1540
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seat belt use, I think the numbers are about 87% for women and 81% for men.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #1541
Flint
Snowflake

Apparently I've only ever lived in counties where almost everyone wears their seat belts. Perspective. I thought everyone, everywhere wore seat belts.

eta:
I'm currently in the least seat belt-wearing place I've ever lived, and I like it better here.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #1542
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My father never has, ever. Just hates them for no reason he can explain. He used to tell us as kids that it was safe for him because he "had the steering wheel to hold onto."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #1543
Flint
Snowflake

My father doesn't like quinoa because he can't/won't pronounce it.

I've never told him that I have a childhood memory of my grandfather saying he doesn't like pizza because he can't pronounce it.

I wonder what "new" food I won't like...

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #1544
glatt

I don't have a chart to show you, but picture two circle groups that line up almost perfectly with one another.

My wife was telling me a story yesterday about her day at work. She works as a school based substitute teacher, which means she floats around a lot during the day. When she has nothing to do, she offers to do chores.

Yesterday, she was sorting through the lost and found box. The items were piled high, just bursting out of the lost and found box. So she started by sorting items by those that were labeled with a name and those that were not.

Then she went to the school library, where she could look up the student name in the system and see what home room each kid had, and return the item.

The PCs in the library have been set up to make a loud alert sound whenever a student with a bunch of overdue books has their account accessed. That way, the librarian can ask about it before loaning out more books.

Can you guess where this is leading? Every single student who is the kind of student who leaves their hoodie in the mulch on the playground is the same kind of student who also has a lot of overdue library books. That machine was sounding loud alerts the entire time my wife was looking up the names on the lost and found items. And the librarian kept looking up with each chime.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #1545
Flint
Snowflake

I understand the reason for the system, but I'm not sure how I feel about the kids who presumably don't have their shit together (we might imagine, not good home environment?) being shamed in front of everyone?

Like, any situation in school which could make everyone in the room turn and look at you, I'm sensitive to that. That could easily be counter-productive. Like, it happens once and the kid never goes to a library again. Ends up with a lifelong phobia of reading.