The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #31
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dana, I KNOW she wasn't Rxing for depression. She comes off a bit pat, that's all. some people have real problems, right? She is, in my way of thinking, living an envious life already.

eh. If you don't get it, you don't. I was commenting on the general whininess of some who really, if asked if they'd trade with others, wouldn't. Never mind. This is ridiculous to pursue - as most things really are.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
If you read the piece again I think you'll find she says Do let the sun go down on anger.
If you'll read my post again you'll see I find her assertion that there are studies telling her it's OK to go to bed mad because her husband went out with the boys to get away from her whiny naggy ass is the real poppycock.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Have to say I agree with the S and the B here.
She lives a life I envy, and while she has every right to whine about it, it sticks in my craw to have her preach about how she copes with her perfect life. Gag.

You'll have to excuse Bri, Shawnee and me though. We are bitter ex-Strawberry Queens going rancid in our inelegant old age. Said with the sting of old fruit, but not actually directed at you!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #34
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Dana, I KNOW she wasn't Rxing for depression. She comes off a bit pat, that's all. some people have real problems, right? She is, in my way of thinking, living an envious life already.

eh. If you don't get it, you don't. I was commenting on the general whininess of some who really, if asked if they'd trade with others, wouldn't. Never mind. This is ridiculous to pursue - as most things really are.
Oh I fully understand your point Bri. But my point is: just because someone's life seems 'envious' doesn't mean that person is happy. Anyone's unhappiness is real and central for them, regardless of how much their lives may look like a fairytale dream come true. Even if they are a fairytale dream come true. The sad fact some people find themselves confronting is that the achievement of what you wanted doesn't always bring the happiness you might expect.

I once gave Tiki some advice that she thought was just cookie cutter pat nonsense. Set in that list it would read exactly as that. But I was suggesting something that I had come to myself after years of depression and had found helpful to me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
Shawnee123

Aging ex-Strawberry Queens who got it going on in our own rights.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #36
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

She doresn't actually say she was unhappy anyway. She was just feeling like she was in danger of wasting her life. As she says: she had seemingly everything to make her happy and yet found herself losing her temper and not acting like a happy person. There must be many people who go through that experience. Some of them will actually be suffering mild depression without realising it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #37
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh shush.
You're being all reasonable and making sense and I can't defend my knee-jerk dislike.
Bitch needs a smack, y'all!

Too much Maury, maybe?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #38
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm sitting here wondering, "why did I immediately dislike her?"

It's her litany of Wonderfuls. I don't have health, a soul-mate, a job I adore, nor do I live in a city I adore (or one that's even remotely interesting), etc., etc., but I have managed, in my own tiny, pedestrian way, to relish the good and hope for the light when it all fades to black. If THIS woman is unhappy, what hope for I?

The Born Agains would say she needs Jesus.
The Catholics would say Confession.
The pervs, a good lay.
The docs, a bit of serotonin.
The junkies would Rx a fix and a drunk would offer a snort.

We all take our medicine where we find it. I'm glad she's worked thru her ennui (for that it what it seems to this old woman) and can find joy again in, what I can only assume, by her OWN list, is her envious life. Maybe the Hamptons would cheer this dark night of her soul?

(yes, catty. Non, je ne regrette rien la chat)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #39
Shawnee123

For me, it was the "poor me for not being downtrodden, beaten, poor, unsafe. Those people get ALL the attention...me and my ilk deserve a voice too! I guess I'll have to find my own unhappiness...now where did I leave it?"
Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #40
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I don't think you have to be a perv to recommend a good lay as a cure.
Just a Dwellar.

FTR Bri - la chatte, le chat. Sorry.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #41
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I don't think you have to be a perv to recommend a good lay as a cure.
Just a Dwellar.

FTR Bri - la chatte, le chat. Sorry.
I bow to your command of the French language, SG. My mother would be horrified.

Sex is only dirty if you're doing it right.

Sigh. Anyway, I'm so bored. I should be making sandwiches for the homeless or scrubbing at something or writing my Get-Back-At-The-World novel but I can't even be bothered to argue. Should I go to the movies?

—James Barrie

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
You'll have to excuse Bri, Shawnee and me though. We are bitter ex-Strawberry Queens going rancid in our inelegant old age.
I'm not an ex-Strawberry Queen (or a current one, or any other type of former or current queen), but y'all are welcome to come take an instant dislike to stuff like this at my place any time.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #43
Shawnee123

There are Strawberry KINGS also.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #44
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

He can be the Rain King.

—James Barrie

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #45
Shawnee123

Quote:
Although it's true that genetics play a big role, about 40 percent of your happiness level is within your control
Another one. What kind of statistic is that? Fine, write a feel-good article, but don't pretend that science is on your side.