The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #31
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
That is huge, Sam. It is amazing how fast you improve when you get into something regularly. Do you do anything else there? Any other machines? what facilities do they have? I get bored so easliy during exercise, that's why i chose this place -classes are free and drop in so i can chop and change, and there are various levels offered when one size doesn't fit all. i used to go with a friend to the Rec center and we'd do 30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes row, 30 minutes circuit and then 30 playing badminton. that was great -we gossipped the whole time and i got so fit so fast ...but then she got a full time job.
Thanks, Monster! I plan to branch out to the other machines once I reach the 4mph mark on the machine I'm now using.

The rec center here is very nice - I'm amazed such a small town as the one I live in came up with all the money for it. I'd guess that there were around 10 different kinds of machines - don't know what they're called yet. Back in the day, I always joined the local Y where ever I was and swam 4 or 5 times a week. Never did the machines, since I was doing hiking and cross country with my then husband.

They also offer lots of classes - everything from yoga to aerobics to Zumba to Silver Sneakers (for people much older than me ). The pool is wonderful. And best of all, its only $20.00/month!

Oh, and the other thing about the rec center is that a lot of silver foxes hang out there. I watch them working out while I walk along on my little machine. Nice!

Last edited by SamIam; 02-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I quit the gym and with the 30 bucks a month I save I can buy more beer. It's a win-win.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Gime? What's a Gime?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #34
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
gimme, you mised an m
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #35
bbro
Insert witty comment here

There seems to be a trend going on here, I too joined a gym just this week. I have been going in the mornings. I can only do about 45 minutes on the treadmill right now. I tried these machines that looked like backwards elliptical, I should have known better - I could only do about 6 minutes, total. Then, I tucked my tail in and went back to the treadmill. Tomorrow, I am going to give my bad joints a rest and use the recumbent bike with the senior crowd.

Not too worried about not being able to hang with everyone, I am really not in shape. It's not the first time I have exercised for multiple days, but the first time that I can see myself doing it for long term. Even before, I never truly believed that I would keep it up. Since I am doing it in the morning, it isn't delaying my life at all - making me more tired in the evenings, maybe, but that's about it. And since I am trying to stay in at the same time, I think it all works out well

Hope you don't mind me joining the thread Monster!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

There is a swimming pool the size of the Atlantic Ocean just across from our hotel room here in Edinburgh. What a shame I forgot my cozzie; 'cept I think I might drown before I completed a whole length!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #37
monster
I hear them call the tide

This week I have taken 4 classes, swum three times (20 lengths twice and a mile (72) today) and used the rowing machine once. Treadmills -they scare me. besides, I can walk/run anywhere if the feeling takes me. My swim was good today, I think i improved both my strokes a little and took 45-50 minutes. I'm not exactly melting away, though, and the diet thing is hard and I am depressed that one of the "health nuggets of the week" at the gym is that weightloss is only 20% "move more" and is 80% "eat less" ah well...... at least I didn't have to worry that beest broke our shower this morning.... (I think that was the primary factor in helping me get out the door today......
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
There is a swimming pool the size of the Atlantic Ocean just across from our hotel room here in Edinburgh. What a shame I forgot my cozzie; 'cept I think I might drown before I completed a whole length!
Is it a 50m pool (long-course)? I swam in one in the summer and boy, those last ten meters are mean the first few lengths....
Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
limey

I have no idea - but my usual pool is 20m
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #40
monster

mine is 25y and my summer pool is 20y (88 lengths in a mile there)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #41
monster

So I got my fitness assessment and weight training orientation today. Assessment was as I thought -fit, fat and flexible. With no abs or core strength. They did two body fat tests and they came back with vastly different results. The trainer said the lower one was considered more reliable, but that one put me in the average range which is kinda hard to believe unless we really are including all of the walmart shoppers.....

So the trainer creating my workout plan concentated on machines for abs and core strength for me. I told the assessor I couldn't do a push up, but I actually managed a few -although I thought the execution was too appaling to count on most of them.

But I don't understand how anyone who is employed can exercise as much as they ought to. I've pretty much given up the Cellar and a few other online activities in my quest for unblobness. And my housework and paperwork for volunteer activities are at a danger level of inattention.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #42
bbro

So I just have to share something that made me happy today. The machine that I talked about in my first post that I could only do 5 minutes on? I did SIX minutes today

Not much, but still a sign of improvement. I could have tried for more time, but my heart rate was already approaching 180.

Woohoo! I am on my way to 10 minutes - lol
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #43
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
So I just have to share something that made me happy today. The machine that I talked about in my first post that I could only do 5 minutes on? I did SIX minutes today

Not much, but still a sign of improvement. I could have tried for more time, but my heart rate was already approaching 180.

WayTaGo!!! Isn't it great to see some improvement?!?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #44
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post

When I first started running, I could only do a few minutes at a time. I built it up slowly, minute by minute over one summer.... and I never lost it. Even though I don't run very often, when I do I can run for 30 minutes without a break. You'll be at 10 minutes before you know it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
bbro

Thanks guys