The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #3616
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Popdigr uses a toaster oven occasionally. I hate the thing. Heats up the house more than using the real oven. And besides that, it's Black & Decker, and I don't wanna eat something cooked by a power tool.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #3617
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wilber Wright's 1899 letter to Smithsonian requesting information on flight.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #3618
Pamela
Deplorable

I use a toaster oven too. More often than my microwave even.

Cooks almost anything better than my gas oven with less heating of my place and a smaller counter footprint.

Except Tombstone pizza. THAT, I have to cut in half to make it fit inside.

But the fan motor gave out after six or so years so the convection part is useless but it still makes darn good toast/waffles!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #3619
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I thought I was the only person to cut a frozen pizza in half and cook/eat half a pizza.

Welcome to my club, Pam!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #3620
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cats That Look Like Celebrities (And Vice Versa)

Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #3621
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This research paper is behind an paywall but you can see the highlights and abstract.

Quote:
Highlights
•Many countries implement local-content schemes for public-sector purchases.
•The aim of these schemes is to support home employment especially in manufacturing.
•We use a detailed CGE model to analyse the U.S. scheme, Buy America(n).
•We find that Buy America(n) is an ineffective way of increasing manufacturing employment.
•Eliminating Buy America(n) would increase employment overall and in 50 out of 51 states.
Quote:
Abstract
Like many countries, the U.S. implements local content policies. Through these policies, the U.S. government attempts to stimulate employment, especially in the manufacturing sector, by favoring U.S. contractors for public sector projects (Buy American regulations) and by insisting that these contractors themselves favor domestic suppliers of inputs such as steel (Buy America regulations). We refer to these policies collectively as Buy America(n). Enforcement of the policies is via complex legalistic processes and often contractors to the U.S. government adopt a cautious approach by favoring U.S. suppliers even when this may not be strictly legally required. In these circumstances, it is not possible to provide a definitive model-based quantification of the effects of Buy America(n). Nevertheless, as demonstrated in this paper, a detailed CGE analysis can give valuable guidance concerning the efficacy of these policies. In an illustrative simulation we find that scrapping Buy-America(n) would reduce U.S. employment in manufacturing but boost employment in the rest of the economy with a net gain of about 300 thousand jobs. Even in the manufacturing sector, there would be many winning industries including those producing machinery and other high-tech products. Employment would increase in 50 out of 51 states and 430 out of 436 congressional districts.
Having trouble buying this shit.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #3622
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
in 50 out of 51 states.
Are they counting D.C.? Because unless Puerto Rico made some drastic moves in the last few hours...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #3623
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Must be.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #3624
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A good article on what it's like to be a falcon trainer.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #3625
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Pessimism Manifesto covers the 12 types of pessimism.

Quote:
One may think that pessimism is widespread today. Everyone, on all sides, is outraged at injustices and worried about the problems we face. But just beneath the surface, everyone, on all sides, shares an optimism that progress is not only possible but likely. Everyone believes that once problems are identified, they can be solved, and in time they will be.

This myth of inevitable progress is our modern faith, and like many faiths before it, it is a false faith generated by deep-seated human desires. Only the pessimist can see clearly the problems we face, and at the same time understand that progress is unlikely, and that our future, in many ways, is likely to be bleak. It’s worse than you think – and here’s how:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #3626
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This research paper is behind an paywall but you can see the highlights and abstract.
There might be a full copy on Sci-Hub, if you don't mind a little moral ambiguity.

Quote:
Sci-Hub is a website with over 62 million academic papers and articles available for direct download.[2] It bypasses publisher paywalls by allowing access through educational institution proxies. Sci-Hub stores papers in its own repository, and additionally the papers downloaded by Sci-Hub are also stored in Library Genesis (LibGen).

Sci-Hub was founded by Kazakhstani graduate student Alexandra Elbakyan in 2011, as a reaction to the high cost of research papers behind paywalls, typically US$30 each when bought on a per-paper basis.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #3627
glatt

Your tax dollars at work.

Very good imagery of the recent hurricane damage. NOAA flew over affected areas for Harvey and Irma and shares that imagery below. Much of it is better resolution than what you would see on Google Earth.

Irma

Harvey

I was wondering about the Boy Scout facility and undeveloped island that I stayed at in the summer. Couldn't get information anywhere, but with this imagery I could see where a kayak stand/tower on the island got blown across a lagoon and into the mangroves, and a bunch of composting toilet structures also got shredded and thrown into the mangroves.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #3628
glatt

For example, this is a trailer park in Big Pine Key
Name:  Big Pine Key trailer park.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  81.4 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #3629
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, the links are maps, where are the pictures?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #3630
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Everything is interesting...Look closer.

Zoom in to the shaded area(s). Way in.