The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Doctor Who - Chibnall's steaming dump

On a scale from one to ten, how many thousand donkeys does Chibnall's script writing/show running blow?

I was so stoked Whitaker was cast, but I feel Chibnall is so far out of his depth that he is only going to ruin Doctor Who for a lot of fans, and possibly sour people on a woman doctor. It would be a shame if she went a single season like Eccleston because the scripts were so heavy handed and preachy and lacking in any type of depth and subtlety. They just seem so poorly thought out or realized, just a keystone cops routine with a TARDIS.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I enjoyed the first couple of eps. Haven't seen the most recent yet.

It feels a lot like classic Who to me.

Doesn't have the complexity (yet - give it time) of davies Who, nor the dark fairytale charm of Moffat's Who - but i find it entertaining. And I love her as the Doctor.

The plots seem a touch thin - but the way she is written is pretty good I think.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I enjoyed the first couple of eps. Haven't seen the most recent yet.

It feels a lot like classic Who to me.

Doesn't have the complexity (yet - give it time) of davies Who, nor the dark fairytale charm of Moffat's Who - but i find it entertaining. And I love her as the Doctor.

The plots seem a touch thin - but the way she is written is pretty good I think.
I might be spending too much time on r/gallifrey, but I find his writing doesn't grasp the complexity of the doctor. A lot of people there say there is a lot of early doctor in his portrayal of her.

One of the things that bugs me is how preachy and expository he writes her. freshman english comp: Show, don't tell.

The first two were ok, 5-6/10 the Rosa Parks episode was about a 4, and the latest spider one was a 2.

My biggest complaint is that they threw everything out for no reason other than new boss, we're going to do things my way. Got rid of things that worked and tried to redo it in one fell swoop.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've been enjoying it. I actually think they've been getting better. I'm not sure how "preachy and expository" could be applied more to this incarnation than any other. Or any other perennial fault of the show, really. The only thing they've thrown out, for now at least, are the old villains. And while I don't think I could ever tire of the Daleks, I think the Cybermen were overused. And I found every addition to Weeping Angels lore made them less interesting.

I'm not sure the new ones are all that great so far (especially the flying sheets and their useless robot guards), but at least they are new.

And the show didn't throw out the running through corridors.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I liked "Demons of the Punjab" a lot. Especially the scene where the Doctor realizes that she put the remains of a decimated race through a still.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
DanaC

I loved it. Dad was a child of the Raj so I grew up on tales of India - and of the horrors of Partition too.

Hearing the Doctor set out the numbers and the scale of it - and seeing that conflict play out on such an intimate level was strange - I could imagine Dad, a kid with this happening around him. He saw some really disturbing stuff in the run up to the family leaving India.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
boozemun
Kinda New Member

Angry I totally agree11

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
On a scale from one to ten, how many thousand donkeys does Chibnall's script writing/show running blow?

I was so stoked Whitaker was cast, but I feel Chibnall is so far out of his depth that he is only going to ruin Doctor Who for a lot of fans, and possibly sour people on a woman doctor. It would be a shame if she went a single season like Eccleston because the scripts were so heavy handed and preachy and lacking in any type of depth and subtlety. They just seem so poorly thought out or realized, just a keystone cops routine with a TARDIS.
A Dalek that I was not afraid of but just felt sorry for the poor guy who had to say the lines!!
boozemun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
DanaC

Overall, Id say the series fell a little flat for me. It was okay, and there were some episodes I liked. but it never hit the heights of other series - didn't hit the lows either.

I started out really liking her Doctor - but as the series progressed, i felt like her Doctor didn't. I can't quite put my finger on what was missing but it felt a bit thin in the end.

Almost every other series had episodes I flat out loved and would put in my favourites list -and also had episodes that flat out sucked and I would advise people never to watch (Love and Monsters, anyone?) But there was always something about the series that stayed with me after it had finished, and that hasn't happened this time.

When I first watched Capaldi's opening series, I disliked the overall series arc, but I loved his Doctor and the way he and Clara worked together - I didn't rate the series plot, but I loved the character development. On rewatch, I now like that first series a lot more and appreciate the series arc much more than I did initially.

Whittaker's first outing had some half decent individual episodes and a little it of character development for two of the companions, but for the most part, I don;t feel like it went anywhere. It didnt leave me with the Doctor Who feels.

It seemed like they didn't really have a handle on how to write her character -- and also didn't have that much in the way of individual plots or series arc -

I can do without a series arc, if the individual episodes are strong and I can do without strong individual episodes if the series arc carries enough force - and either of those can slip if you give me a decent character study

I didn't feel like this series fully delivered on any of those aspects.

Maybe I'll revise that opinion on a rewatch - or maybe the second series will retrospectvely make the character make sense for the first series, the way Capaldi's first series snapped into place with the character development it led to in series 2 and 3. Hell, he is now my all time favourite Doctor - but it will take something special to make that happen.

@ 3foot; with regards to his writing lacking complexity - I actually agree now,having seen the whole series. It's surprising given the depth of some of his other works - but his Doctor Who lacks depth.

It doesn't have any of the sense of mythos and mystery that Davies and Moffatt brought to it. Maybe that's deliberate -maybe it's an attempt to bring the Doctor back to the classic scale of a wanderer helping out wherever she lands. But it doesn't quite have the charm of the original to make up for the loss of scale.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-07-2019 at 12:36 PM.