The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What are You Watching on Netflix Instant/Amazon Prime/orwhateverotherinstreaming

Decided to start a thread on this because it's where I'm doing most of my viewing lately, and while most of the content is available on DVD it isn't actually on DVD so ...

Couple of recent picks:

Sound and Fury - two brothers, one deaf, one hearing, each with a deaf child, struggle with the decision over cochlear implants. Kind of interesting, and says a lot about deaf culture.

Inheritance - documentary about Amon Goeth's daughter (yeah, the one Ralph Fiennes plays in Schindler's List).

24 - I just started watching this. I never watched this while it was on, which is a darn shame. It's pretty good. I think I have a couple plot points figured out (I'm on hour 5), but I'm probably completely wrong.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I really liked the first season of 24, except for one silly bit. The other seasons were OK, but I feel I may have been watching just out of inertia.

I went to the Boy Scout camp whose T-shirt Jack's daughter adapted for her use.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Comcasts Streampix is really faux-streaming, but....I've started at the beginning of Damages with with Glenn Close. It has a gimmicky aspect to it with the flashbacks and forwards going on (just like the Firm, which I soon grew tired of), but Im enjoying it so far.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I went to the Boy Scout camp whose T-shirt Jack's daughter adapted for her use.
I had to look that up.
Name:  Kim+Bauer.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  20.4 KB
Goshen!

I spent half a week at Goshen in June. I left mid-way through the week and left my son there, and two days later he spent the night in the dining hall after the derecho tore through and toppled a couple bonfires and blew down many of the tents.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I went there as a Scout one week one summer, for Scout leadership training one week another summer, AS Scout leadership training two weeks the next summer, and on staff for 8 weeks a few years later.

Good times...

Well, I liked being on staff at least.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
glatt

I had a blast for my half a week.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I recently finished the 2 season run of the old NBC series "Life" (on Hulu), about a cop who gets framed for a triple murder, is sentenced to life in prison, gets out on new evidence sues the city for $100,000,000, and gets his job back with backpay and promotion to detective. Loved it.

RFN, I'm watching "John Doe", about a guy who wakes up naked on an island off Seattle, knowing everything about everything, except who he is. Meh, take it or leave it.

Recently watched "God Bless America" on Netflix. Let me say now: Netflix is a pain in the ass. I almost gave up trying to get it to work on my 'puter. Gotta have Silverlight to watch anything.

Back to "God Bless America"; ƒucking loved this movie. First, it has one of my favorite actors as the star/protagonist, Joel Murray. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. This movie made so many good points about what we (the American public) have become, that I stopped counting at 17. No shit.

Spoiler alert: These are the types of people the guy thinks needs to be shot:

People who take up two parking spaces
People who talk in theaters during movies
People who say 'Namaste'
People who high five
Spoiled brats
People who pound energy drinks all day

Quote:
Frank: I am offended. Not because I got a problem with bitter, predictible, whining millionaire disc jockeys complaining about celebrities or how tough their life is, while I live in an apartment with paper-thin walls next to a couple of Neanderthals who, instead of a baby, decided to give birth to some kind of nocturnal civil defense air raid siren that goes off every fucking night like it's Pearl Harbor.
Quote:
I hate that baby. I hate his stupid, fat face.
Quote:
Frank: [On the air] My name is Frank. That's not important. The important question is: who are you? America has become a cruel and vicious place. We reward the shallowest, the dumbest, the meanest and the loudest. We no longer have any common sense of decency. No sense of shame. There is no right and wrong. The worst qualities in people are looked up to and celebrated. Lying and spreading fear is fine as long as you make money doing it. We've become a nation of slogan-saying, bile-spewing hatemongers. We've lost our kindness. We've lost our soul. What have we become? We take the weakest in our society, we hold them up to be ridiculed, laughed at for our sport and entertainment. Laughed at to the point, where they would literally rather kill themselves than live with us anymore.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Really, I'm surprised someone hasn't went on a shooting spree, and cited this movie as their motivation.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also watched "Seraphim Falls" w/Pierce Brosnan & Liam Neeson, on YouTube Movies.

Loved it.

I have a couple of questions regarding this flick, if anyone else has seen it.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I saw it , but it was a while ago...

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

OK, one question then. The one that's bothering me:

Spoiler Alert

Highlight for the question;

At the end of the flick, Anjelica Huston shows up in the desert, from out of nowhere, and trades Brosnan's character his horse for one bullet. She later shows up again, again from out of nowhere, and trades Neeson's character his water, for one bullet.

Was she God, Satan, one of their angels, or Death? Or, what?!

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Well, Im not sure - I'd have to watch it again, but I do remember that scene irritating me, because it seemed it was surreal just for surreals sake.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

That's about all I watch these days, other than sports.

I'm really into Grimm (Hulu) and Warehouse 13 (Netflix) and have enjoyed several other series. I'll have to think hard to pull out names tho.

Pam
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm watching the downfall of human civilization as we know it.

EDIT: My mistake, that's the window, not the TV.

EDIT2: OK, OK. I'm meaning to watch "Out of Egypt." I'm also working my way through "That Mitchell and Webb Look" and Peepshow (which I'm kind of lukewarm on, in spite of how much I like Mitchell and Webb).

Last weekend we watched Office Space; it was Mrs. Dallas' first time seeing it.

PC LOAD LETTER
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
glatt

PC LOAD LETTER

Yeah, that's a funny scene from the movie, but I rememebr printers that actually said that.