The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #46
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I'm at my brother's house. Complete with Netflix. So I've watched a few episodes of The United States of Tara. I love Toni Collette and it's a great premise but I just don't like it that much. I can't stand any of the characters, even the 'meant to be funny' alters. Usually even the most vile characters elicit some sort of empathetic response in me, but I can't even stand the kids in this one.
I watched the entire series on Netflix. I also didn't like any of the characters, except for Patton Oswald's. He was likeable. There were some fun parts to that show, but mostly it didn't go anywhere and then the ending was so forgettable I couldn't tell you how it was resolved.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #47
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I thought about trying O is the New B, maybe tonight. I started the book but never finished it.

I'm surprised at how many series there are, that seem to be under the new umbrella of 'innovative television.' I have the series that I love, some old school, some newer (like Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Oz, Walking Dead, The Wire, Mad Men, and right now Nurse Jackie) but now there seems to be some saturation, and the quality isn't always that good. There's something for everyone though.

Portlandia: there was a really funny segment where the main actor guy is a bike rider with a chin beard. He goes by his favorite bar and through the window sees some yuppie-looking guy and gets all mad "That kind of guy is in there? This bar is so OVER!" Then he keeps seeing this guy doing things he himself likes to do and keeps declaring things 'so OVER!" After a series of such happenings we see the formerly yuppie guy now on a bike with a chin beard riding past a bar where the previously bike-riding chin beard guy is sitting at the bar, on a cell phone discussing business, and very yuppie-like...and the new hipster declares "That kind of guy is in there? This bar is so OVER."

That was pretty clever. Other parts not so much. Can't stand the ones with the girl playing the guy and vice versa. Very annoying. The shopkeeper couple are annoying, though Steve Buscemi's cameo was funny. The cameos are often pretty good (Kyle MacLachlan as the mayor, for instance.)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #48
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I watched the entire series on Netflix. I also didn't like any of the characters, except for Patton Oswald's. He was likeable. There were some fun parts to that show, but mostly it didn't go anywhere and then the ending was so forgettable I couldn't tell you how it was resolved.
OH yeah, he had just started making more appearances. I DID like him. I can't even stand the psychiatrist. Just, awful.

I doubt I'll see the resolution. The poncho goblin just made an appearance and I'm just like "yeah...no."
Old 08-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #49
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A few days ago I watched Season One Episode One of "The Killing".

I'll prolly go back for more.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #50
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I second Orange is the New Black, I've enjoyed that quite a bit.

Right now I'm clenching my teeth waiting for the latest seasons to drop into streaming for The League (I think you would love this one, infi, with your fantasy football prowess) and The Walking Dead.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
busterb
NSABFD

Watched a little of White Collar. I think the wife of fbi guy's wife looks a little like wonder woman, Linda carter. I think is the name.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #52
infinite monkey

I saw some of Orange is the New Black. I like it. I mostly like the flashbacks to what other prisoners did to get in there. I find those scenes to be subtle...I don't know if the backstory becomes more clear or if we are just going to have the hints...but either way I like the way they do it: they don't just hand it to you on a platter.

I tried The League and it may have been another instance of I wasn't in the right mood, but I couldn't get into it. It was late. I may try again.

But I only have a few more days to try to finish the ones I have liked. Let me ask a question: I am sick of my cable bill going up and up. I haven't been watching regular TV at my house. I have been purchasing DVDs of series. Can one get Netflix without having cable? Like, if I kept Bugs Bunny wireless but dropped all TV service, could I get netflix?

The League made me remember a show I've always wondered about: Friday Night Lights. Wow. It's about one of the best HS football teams in Texas (no small deal there) and so far I LOVE it. It has some great football moments, along with incredible acting. It really shows the pressures of the coach and the players, from the whole town, and the tolls such expectations can have.

It had me at hello. If you like football you will love this show.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #53
glatt

Friday Night Lights is great.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #54
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
Let me ask a question: I am sick of my cable bill going up and up. I haven't been watching regular TV at my house. I have been purchasing DVDs of series. Can one get Netflix without having cable? Like, if I kept Bugs Bunny wireless but dropped all TV service, could I get netflix?
Yes, but you will need a box that can accept the internet signal and put it on your TV. A Playstation 3 can do it, for example, or a Roku. Or get a Chromecast and you could do not just Netflix on your TV, but also YouTube and whatever other internetty things you wanted.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #55
Beest
Adapt and Survive

We bought a Sony Blueray player that even had a netflix button on the remote, it can access all kinds of online content through built in apps, youtube, espn etc. look out for SMART devices. Even old style wii can do it (not full HD, fine). maybe you can pick one up for a song, or find someone who doesn't use theirs anymore.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #56
glatt

I bet a used wii or a new Chromecast would be your cheapest options.

I love my Roku though. It recently added a youtube channel, and it's so cool. You can find a video on youtube on your youtube phone app and then send it to the Roku to watch on the TV to share with everyone. Just yesterday we were sitting around, taking turns, finding youtube videos on our devices and sending them to the tv. Good for chuckles. Somebody has a lame video up there, and you send a new one to interrupt theirs.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #57
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
We bought a Sony Blueray player that even had a netflix button on the remote, it can access all kinds of online content through built in apps, youtube, espn etc. look out for SMART devices. Even old style wii can do it (not full HD, fine). maybe you can pick one up for a song, or find someone who doesn't use theirs anymore.
Oh yeah! I do have a blu-ray player and it does have a netflix button. I'd never considered purchasing netflix before so I haven't really messed around with it. Plus, I'm a technological whiz...for things 20 years ago. Today I can barely figure out my phone.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #58
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Oh yeah! I do have a blu-ray player and it does have a netflix button. I'd never considered purchasing netflix before so I haven't really messed around with it. Plus, I'm a technological whiz...for things 20 years ago. Today I can barely figure out my phone.
the trick there is to make sure your BR player can reach the internet in your house. there needs to be a cable or a wireless connection for it. I bought a couple BR players for Twil and thought the internet connectivity would be a good thing. BUT. the boxes only accept a Sony wireless adapter, so, no joy. I'm not paying 2x the cost of the BR player for a freakin wireless network interface card, f*ck that. and the effort to string cables to those locations was not worth it. It was far, far easier to get her a couple Roku boxes, which get along fine with the wireless connections that she already had, and netflix and others were all there for us.

I fired the cable company many years ago and I have not missed it ONE SINGLE BIT. The stuff that I thought I would miss, some premium (!) channels like Discovery Channel, etc., pffft. They were fun, but there's way, way, way more stuff that is just as interesting or more so to fill the gap.

Fire the cable company. You'll adapt. You'll have more money, too.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #59
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Can one get Netflix without having cable? Like, if I kept Bugs Bunny wireless but dropped all TV service, could I get netflix?
Of course.

If your cable company provides your internet access, then, no. You would be relegated to the Netflix DVD-mailing service.

You'll need an internet connection of some sort to keep watching Netflix.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #60
infinite monkey

I have high speed internet and tv service. I'm saying drop the tv service and keep the wireless interwebz. Is that even do-able?

Thanks for the helps. I'm dumb.