The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #106
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
I more or less feel the same. Though I feel Elysium was a decent sci-fi action flick and it's a pretty good viewing experience if you are willing to take it for what it is rather then curve it out of the expectations that might come with the words "From the maker of District 9".

BTW, he is current working on the new Alien movie... I think the reaction to that will be interesting, because that franchise as a whole is often revered as a masterful piece of art with very little in the way of political or philosophical statements (At least not beyond "Corporations are evil"), but more so for it's psychology, aesthetics & executions. I think this might give him an opportunity to bring forth his strengths in those areas, in a work where politicizing the franchise would probably do more harm then good.
I'm looking forward to it with reserved enthusiasm in case it is horrible. It creates a dialectic between my respect for him and my general feeling taht re-makes are the resort of the unimaginative. As you allude to, what else can be added to the conversation?

I recently re-watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with the inch as the first part of the double feature re-release/re-make of the same. About 45 minutes into the re-make we had to stop for some reason. Up to that point I felt the plot holes created by trying to update the film in light of modern technology were distracting. Eventually, I got to the reveal of the updated message. The first film was a warning about the dangers of unchecked aggression in the new nuclear age and the update was about the dangers of unchecked climate destruction in the new ozone-free CO2 enriched age.

Plus, Keanu Reeves is somewhat one dimensional, and while that may be an advantage when playing an extra-terrestrial, it didn't really work for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #107
it
Banned

Wait it's a reboot? I thought it's supposed to be Alien 2.5, Or the new Alien 3 with Alien 3 & 4 becoming 4 & 5... Or Alien 5 with Prometheus 1 & 2 becoming Alien 1 & 2? Or just Alien 5 after Alien 4 but styled like Aliens 2? Or a midboot continuing a new timeline from after Aliens 2? Or a new ending For Ripley's part in the franchise replacing Aliens 3? And where is it in the predator time line? And will leviathan now be part of the franchise? And why did prometheus need to introduce faster then light travel? Wasn't the whole point of cryosleep an alternative to FTL?And why did they still have cryochambers when they were in FTL and didn't experience time at all? And who the fuck hired Keanu Reeves to play in the new aliens movie? Or was that just a separate segment about the earth stood still?
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #108
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I assumed a reboot, my default response is "Oh fuck, why?"

Keanu is a tangent
Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #109
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sens8, Netflix original by the folks responsible for The Matrix and Babylon 5. I hope the various story threads coalesce at some point. But it's exciting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #110
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh shit y'all, "Halt and Catch Fire." Watched all of season one over the course of three days. So good.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #111
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Sense8. 2 episodes in, it's the kind of weird that I like

Wayward Pines. Modern "The Prisoner"? 3 episodes in.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #112
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My youngest niece was raving Sense8

also - Humans.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #113
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I recently re-watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with the inch as the first part of the double feature re-release/re-make of the same.
Popdigr watched it (the original) last night, for the first time.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #114
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Wayward Pines.
Jumped the shark at episode 5.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #115
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Sens8, Netflix original by the folks responsible for The Matrix and Babylon 5. I hope the various story threads coalesce at some point. But it's exciting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this tip, I gorged myself finishing the whole series in two large and one small sittings. Delicious.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #116
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I need to get Netflix for that and Marvel. And the American House of Cards (British was excellent).

But I have so many hours of TV on my DVR and my Hulu queue that I can't justify it, dammit.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #117
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Orphan Black season 3

I love the new character, the scorpion.

spoiler below!!!

I was sorry to see it go when Helena ate it.

Last edited by footfootfoot; 07-15-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: too spoiled
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #118
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The Leftovers

I stayed clear of this when it first came out because I didn't find the idea of the rapture all that intriguing - but then I got into Damon Lindelof's work and started to take a little more notice. Reading about it, I realised I'd misunderstood the premise anyway.

Watched the first episode a few weeks back and it had enough going on to suggest it might be worth watching - but a disturbing air about it that made me think it might be a difficult series to watch - wasn't sure if I could stay with something so bleak. I also realised I was still way too hung up on Lost to give it its due.

Cut to a few nights ago and I decided to try again. I'm now on episode 5 and really starting to click with it.

I do have some issues with Chris Eccleston's American accent. But his performance is so good otherwise, that I'm starting to go with it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #119
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just finished the last three episodes of "Californication". The last couple of seasons weren't nearly as good as the first few seasons...Still pretty good, though.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #120
it
Banned

Finished watching an anime called Planetes...

I am not really a regular anime watcher, but this was well done. There is very little to no story arch except towards the end except for maybe some limited character growth... It's a genre called "slice of life" which just what it sounds like, except in this case it's done in an obnoxiously realistic setting that takes into account pretty much everything space-life related, starting from the diapers.

It did make me realize there is a sub-genre of sci fi which isn't very well defined: NowPunk. When a piece of sci-fi is so hard on mohs scale of sci fi hardness, it is for all extents and purposes asking what would it be like if we would be doing X with today's technology.
As far as sci-fi tries to be futurology (Which it often does try and fall on the ground only to remind us it never had the responsibility of doing that anyway), this is no better, except that instead of inventing fantastic applied punbrum, it marks itself for failure by depicting a nearby future that has remarkably avoided to develop new technologies or make new discoveries, despite clearly depicting a society quite invested in science in technology. Much like SteamPunk, it aims to explore the physically possible but the economically and socially improbable - what we could be doing, but can't really afford to do or organize well enough as a society to actually gather the resources and initiative to do it.
it is offline   Reply With Quote