The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #91
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

You were enhanced?

I didn't know you smoked weed...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #92
glatt

Hmm. Pretty sure I typed entranced. Must be one of those phone autocorrect things
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #93
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I. Am. Sooooo. Stoked.

I just got three tickets to ZZ Top. One for me, one for my big brother B, who is adored by his nephew who gets the third ticket as a birthday gift, SonofV, who will turn 21 just before showtime.

FUCKING ZZ TOP!

Absolutely, without question, a bucket list act I've been waiting to see since I was a kid.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #94
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Outstanding, I won't even bother to tell you to have a good time.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #95
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I. Am. Sooooo. Stoked.

I just got three tickets to ZZ Top. One for me, one for my big brother B, who is adored by his nephew who gets the third ticket as a birthday gift, SonofV, who will turn 21 just before showtime.

FUCKING ZZ TOP!

Absolutely, without question, a bucket list act I've been waiting to see since I was a kid.
Dress sharply, wear cheap sunglasses, and get some tush.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #96
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #97
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Well now, I might be mistaken, uh hmm hmm hmm hmm.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #98
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

https://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/a...p?shownum=1631

Twil and I are here now, lights down, curtain up in three minutes.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #99
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Lights down, curtains open? You exhibitionist, I hope the neighbors and passer-bys, appreciate the show.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #100
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Albert Lee in July!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #101
glatt

Saw Howard Jones/OMD/Bare Naked Ladies concert last night, picnicking on the lawn at Wolf Trap with friends.

I rented the little folding lawn chair/back rest things from the concession. Maybe that makes me old, but they made sitting in the grass for four hours comfortable. I highly recommend. A folded up towel under the lower part on the hill makes them nice and level and keeps you from getting a wedgie.

Going in to this, I had low expectations. The forecast was for thunderstorms and while I thoroughly enjoy a few BNL songs, I don't really follow them. And Howard Jones and OMD are so dated. I went to the Howard Jones website the day before to see what he was doing these days and it was all this peppy disco synth crap with no vocals. But it's always nice to have a picnic with these friends, so I figured it would an ok time.

Well, let me tell you, Howard Jones blew me away. He started off with a song that I knew really well, and he sounded GREAT. I figured, "this is great. He's starting off strong with the one song I'll know, to get me into it. Even if I don't know the rest, at least I like this one." That song ended, and he promptly started in on another song I knew. And it sounded great too. And then another, and another, and another, and another. Who knew? I've apparently got the whole Howard Jones catalog stored in my head from 30 years ago from all the airplay he got back in the day. He sounded so good. It was really nice. Surprising. He's on Jimmy Fallon tonight, so check him out.

So then there was a little break before OMD came out. I checked my weather radar app on my phone and saw that the thunderstorms were splitting to go around us to the North and South, and we were going to be in the clear!

Our friends were there to see OMD. The husband is a big OMD fan. I figured I would know 3-4 OMD songs, but it turns out I only know 1. They were decent, but following Howard Jones had to be difficult for them. Still, having our friends right there singing along to each one made us enjoy the band through osmosis, or something.

Then Bare Naked Ladies came out. I'd never seen them before, but I like 4-5 of their songs, and I understood that they have a great stage presence. It's true. They were a tremendous amount of fun. The lead singer told a story about his airline adventure earlier that day and how he almost hadn't made it to the show on time. And he apparently had thrown together a song about that afternoon's airline mishap, and they must have had a chance to get on the same page because the song sounded pretty damn good. They played all the hits, and a couple good songs I didn't know, and a handful of covers that sometimes seemed spontaneous because they followed banter that was specific to to that day. They invited Howard Jones back out on to the stage in the middle of their set, and they backed him while he played his big hit "No one is to Blame." It was so good, it gave me goosebumps on this muggy and warm summer night. These guys are musicians who can be all spontaneous and sound good while doing it.

So it was a surprisingly good concert. Fun was had by me.
Name:  BNL.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  73.2 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #102
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Excellent report, sir

Quote:
having our friends right there singing along to each one made us enjoy the band through osmosis
S'funny how this does happen, and how music is weirdly social.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Even the airlines and weather didn't dare mess with the Capitol crowd.
It's great when they can do more then play by rote, and they engage the fans.
Sounds like the evening made for good vibrations and pleasant memories for your gang.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #104
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I saw Bare Naked Ladies at an outdoor festival, they make it a point to play one written-a-few-minutes-ago or even fully improvise a song at every performance. There was one about how a chick in the audience was on her boyfriend's shoulders, topless, and he started singing about how she'd been up there so long he was unexpectedly getting kind of tired of seeing titties...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #105
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...getting kind of tired of seeing titties...
Wha-

I-

That can actually happen?!!?