The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #61
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I've been using a stage name from the beginning because I don't need the PTA to accidentally google me saying "cunt" a bunch of times.
I was gonna say, "Who's Faye?"

Now I'm gonna listen...
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #62
glatt

Awesome! I really enjoyed the first bit and the joke about paying the guy more.

The other story was good and delivered beautifully, but since it was old material for me it didn't tickle my funny bone as much as when I read it.

I'm super impressed with you for doing that and I hope if you do it again, you'll post it again. I'd like to hear more.

Well done!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #63
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ms. Fobble, that was great!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Kudos Ma'am. You're right, the difference between good and great is not the jokes but the timing.

Ms Noonan, Ms Noonan, Faux News here...
1- Aren't you worried about neglecting your family while doing World Tours, or just flying to this coast or that, for appearances?
2- Does it bother you that millions of men and women are having sexual fantasies while watching you perform?
3- Is it true you frequent a subversive Philly area Jihadist website?
4- Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #65
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Thanks you guys! I have so much fun doing it, it's truly therapeutic. Even the one time I completely bombed, I felt like I should feel bad but I didn't, I swear to God it was an even bigger high than when I do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
1- Aren't you worried about neglecting your family while doing World Tours, or just flying to this coast or that, for appearances?
I know you're joking, but in all seriousness, I'm not worried because this isn't a career for me no matter how much better I may get with experience. Obviously the reality of my life makes it a non-starter, but aside from logistics, I am actively refusing to let my left brain have any piece of this action.

See, here's how it is. I'm naturally about 90% left brain, and that's a balance that works for me. But dealing with my kids (not just emotionally coping, but successfully documenting symptoms and teasing out patterns from the observable data) meant going 100% left brain for a few years, just straightjacketing that fucker who likes to feel things and relate to people and throwing away the key. She got out a few times, but I got better at predicting and avoiding the escape routes. And by the time the job was mostly done and I was finally able to step back and check in on her, she'd turned into Helena from Orphan Black. You can't just release something like that back into the world, you know?

So not only did I choose these open mic nights as a specific way to ease my right brain back out on day trips, I made the conscious rule for myself that I wasn't going to let it become work in any way. Instinctively I want to be the best at everything I do, and this is the one place I won't allow it. I won't network with other comics before the show, I won't search out other places I could perform in town, I won't actively try to write material. It's all fun and no ambition and that's how it has to stay.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #66
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Really terrific, Clod. I missed seeing your face, but I understand you need to keep a degree of anonymity. I wished you talked a little slower so I could savor the story and let the tension build, but I realize you were under time constraints. I really look forward to more.

You will be giving Kathleen Madigan a run for her money.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #67
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
. I don't say cunt in this bit though, just a few fucks and one shit.
Who the fuck gives a shit?

I just realized I was rushing and didn't read the bit about you rushing so to hell with my comment about you rushing.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #68
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Finally got to listen, away from work...

~ Most Excellent Job ~
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
But dealing with my kids (not just emotionally coping, but successfully documenting symptoms and teasing out patterns from the observable data) meant going 100% left brain for a few years, just straightjacketing that fucker who likes to feel things and relate to people and throwing away the key.
Whoa, that may be what it takes for you, but it sounds like a tough row to hoe for Mr Clod.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #70
Clodfobble

Kind of--he's naturally about 95% left brain himself, so it wasn't much of a stretch. He's the type you have to force emotions out of to begin with, so he's more than happy not having to deal with anyone else's.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #71
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Really terrific, Clod. I missed seeing your face, but I understand you need to keep a degree of anonymity.
I wouldn't mind having my face in the video, you can't really google that. But that would mean having someone else sit in the audience to record it, and very close to the stage at that. I asked another comic to record me once from the back area where we all stand, and it came out unusable. I did this one myself just taking the phone up on stage and setting it on the stool beside me (BigV's suggestion, I think it was) and even then the audio is questionable.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #72
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Do you need the audience's energy or could you make a demo tape of just you performing to the camera? Then add the laughs at the right places so it doesn't sound weird.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #73
Clodfobble

I could do that, but I won't, because it wouldn't be fun.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Of course you could, you're a professional sound fondler, but the danger of a tape like that going viral is too great. You don't need the additional pressure of millions of clamoring fans, the entertainment press, and an envious Kim Jong-un.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You're awesome, Faye.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote