The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #616
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Creamy Chicken and Rice soup
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #617
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

BBQ!

Fire + meat = awesome.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #618
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Cauliflower with butter
Baked Potato fries tossed in olive oil
Mrs. Paul's Parchment Bake Classic Grilled Tilapia

I am quote looking forward to it
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #619
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Imma make a chicken pot pie.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #620
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sausage, egg and bacon sandwich from the village bakery. And a jam slice for afters!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #621
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The pace at the rehab is such that I really don't get to eat real food. I take sandwiches mainly. Tonight will be a perfectly ordinary turkey and cheese on Oatnut bread, but it is cut into the shape of two little dolphins and a heart.

I bought one of those sandwich cutter things. It is too cute.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #622
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Homemade pizza, several different flavours of pizza, actually. Its my youngest son's 17th birthday party, so its a pizza, pop and snacks night with 2 friends sleeping over. So I expect it to be 20 mins of kids in the front room eating, then in his room playing games until 3am, then sleeping until noon tomorrow.

I know I am making:
- bbq chicken pizza, (bbq sauce, cheese, onions, chicken, mushrooms and cranberries and pineapple)
-"house special" (marinara sauce, cheese, pepperoni, salami, ham, bacon, onions, green peppers, black olives, mushrooms, pineapple and fresh tomatoes added after)
-taco (mix of salsa and marniara sauce, ground beef with taco seasoning, cheese, diced onions hot peppers and green peppers, then topped with shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, and more salsa if desired)

still not sure of the 4th one yet...
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #623
monster
I hear them call the tide

so wait, you use bbq sauce instead of the tomato base? Doesn't it dry out? Or doesn't that matter?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #624
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I use quite a bit of sauce, and no it does not dry out. When I make my donair pizza, I mix the sweet sauce with meditrainian dressing half and half, and its wonderful! We use quite a few different sauces, instead of basic marinara.

Alfredo sauce works great too... we use this for chicken or seafood pizzas.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #625
monster
I hear them call the tide

cool, thanks. Beest may well start experimenting because he and goalie-boy are into the bbq stuff....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #626
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

American style pulled pork, Hasselback potatoes and peas. Or beans - I haven't decided yet.
Offered to cook for my Dad.
He declined!
Miserable old buzzard.

Bet he has leftovers tomorrow when he sees how good it is.
May try to take a photo with his camera (mine is in Oz with Mum)
Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #627
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pulled pork was yumm-eh!
Dad was watching the footie and I took him in a forkful to taste. He does like that. No more, just a sample.

Afterwards, when we were watching the football together I said I had plenty of leftovers (of course I did!) and they were in the fridge. He said, "Well, now I know what you mean [?!] I'd like some of that. Can I reheat it in the microwave for dinner tomorrow?"

So it might have been the way I described it which put him off the Father/ Daughter experience I was trying to engender... NB he said that after he had had his shop-bought pasta bake. So it wasn't prompted by hunger.

I did not have such a great meal as it turns out.
Hasselback Potatoes should be "seasoned". Not being a big salt eater I declined to douse them in salt n pepper. Instead went for a rarely used container in the cupboard called Season All. But it didn't have a sprinkle top. It had a free-for-all top. My poor potatoes were smothered in the stuff! Well, okay, not smothered, but I did not intend to put so much on.

I also did not know how salty the blend was, or I would not have cooked them for 50 minutes; I'd have binned them there and then and cut some new ones
It was an unpleasant surprise, when everything else was ready to dish up. As I said, I do not generally add salt to anything (hard boiled eggs and chips excepted) so it hit my mouth like a big salty smack up the chops.

Don't get me wrong, they were edible. I polished them off. But they were a disappointment when the texture and the crispness were just right (I made a low cal vesion with oil not butter and no cheese so I wasn't sure).

But the sheer overwhelming flavour of the salt bled into the BBQ pork and made it less of a treat. Which when it was eaten on its own, it was. P'raps the fact I served up the pork in the oven-to-tableware I cooked the potatoes in was partly to blame. WHAT?! I didn't realise I'd salted them to buggery at that point!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #628
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Mr. Clod is making kebabs with shrimp, mushrooms, and some other stuff I wasn't paying attention to. The only flag that went up in my mind was, "I don't have to cook? Done and done."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #629
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Baked ziti.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #630
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

cereal. pb&j.