The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

The Terror of Non-existence

So I heard a little piece on NPR today(?) some kids were at a kids camp for atheism or some such. The reporter asked about how the kids felt about non-existence, since to her an afterlife is a big part of the whole God question being a reassuring notion. The kids she put on tape were freaked out by non-existence. At this point, I am not attached to any beliefs about God one way or the other. The concept of an afterlife has no great hold on me. Non-existence doesn't bother me, even a little, am I a nutter?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'd say, in a somewhat Buddhist* manner, that you are very enlightened. It is the craving for personal immortality that drives most of the suffering in the world. Let go of the desire to live forever, and you are free of the fear of death.
Equally, Epicureans* would agree that there is nothing to be feared about death and non-existence. Before death arrives, it isn't here for you to worry about, and after death arrives, you aren't here to experience it. It is only the actual event of dying that might be accompanied by some troublesome pain.
I go with both of these viewpoints. And someone around here has a signature much the same, which I am too lazy to search for. So even if you are a nutter, you're not alone.

*Many modern varieties of Buddhism and Epicureanism do not hold this. I think they've missed the point.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I was sitting on my deck yesterday wondering if there was any other meaning to human life than to be born then to die. I was thinking about nature and trees and the cycle of seasons and how majestic it was because even in it's death it rises again and continues on forever even after we are gone.

I know that reads melancoly but at some point we all have to face our mortality.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Non-existence doesn't frighten me particularly. Death, or rather the dying itself, frightens me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Phage0070
Snooty Borg

I wasn't greatly concerned about not existing before I was born, so I don't see why I should be concerned about it after I am dead.
Phage0070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Non-existence doesn't frighten me, and the possible pain of dying itself doesn't really either. But death in general, specifically the idea that I might die early while my children still need me, scares the living shit out of me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Anesthesia is what I would imagine non-exsitence is like. You're just not there and there is nothingness but you certainly don't know it...it's a blank.

I believe in a life after this one, though.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

When my Mum was dying, I was watching her favourite show with her on telly one night, and it occured to me that she'd never get to see how certain storylines would turn out. It's hard to explain how that felt to me, but I think it was right at that point that I realized she really would be gone.

After Mum had passed on and some time had passed, I reflected on this thought and realized that it really didn't matter that much. That just because she wouldn't get to see it, didn't mean that the story wouldn't continue. Much the same as the life of everything around her. As it will when my turn comes and I am gone.

At first these thoughts really bothered me, but now I don't worry. I don't really know what will happen, and worrying about it isn't going to change what will happen, so I'll just try and live my life with honour and integrity and what will be will be.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

It's strange to think that a god is wrapped up in immortality. What if god doesn't have anything to do with your afterlife or lack thereof? Just another question I have no answer to this morning. Sorry. Random thought.

I think the worst of all of this, is not knowing until it actually happens. I can't base my beliefs solely on my fears and hopes, as I think that is an act of insanity. So I just won't know. Of course I get curious enough to want to find out, but there's no rush. I want to go see where everybody went and what they are doing, and see for myself what will happen to me. I'm very curious. I am also adventurous and would love to see what unfolds! It's terrifying but could also be quite an illuminating, and wonderful experience. Like discovering a new world! Or I wouldn't exist at all and wouldn't of course know that, because I would lack what I think of, as my "essence".

Sometimes it's terrifying. And sometimes it seems to be an adventure that I would like to go on. I'm such a curious person!

I want to find out for myself. But actively trying to find out for myself isn't worth it because I would have to try to come back here to see everyone I love here, and it would be foolish with that non-existence concept hanging about. I can't wait, as terrifying as it is. I love a good mystery and a grand adventure.

I mean, where are these people I miss? I want to know for sure! I would also like to be there for some people who may not be in a very savory disposition. But I guess I will have to wait until the end of the book and not jump to the last page. (it would be empty right now anyway or else I would have done that too)

So. I guess I'm just saying that I have a deep curiousity about the subject and would love to find out for myself, but that would exclude me from my life right here and now, and future possibilities in this life. So I'll wait and see.......Not that I'm happy about it because I am not always patient with things I want to know. I ask my brain these questions and it spits out answers trying to humour me, because that's it's job. But the answers are not always right. It's just answers, not always the right one, just the only answers it is able to give.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
FStop
Stretching the Veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Non-existence doesn't frighten me particularly. Death, or rather the dying itself, frightens me.
I agree. I've always maintained that I wanna go in my sleep.

To parallel that, when asked if I'm afraid of heights, I say, "No, I'm not. I'm afraid of falling from them."
FStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

Falling isn't so bad. The sudden stop might be a bit of a bugger though.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
xiphos
Bryan.

Why be afraid of death? It is most likely fear of a Hell-like place, or it may be the sight of blood that frightens you.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
It's strange to think that a god is wrapped up in immortality. What if god doesn't have anything to do with your afterlife or lack thereof? Just another question I have no answer to this morning. Sorry. Random thought.
That is a really interesting thought. I've never thought of de-linking God and afterlife that way. I've considered a God and no afterlife but never an afterlife and no God.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

One of my friends is on myspace demanding answers on this topic right now. And rejecting dichotomies. He's not much of a friend anymore because of stuff like that. No one has the answer. No one. If they did they would not be on myspace to explain it.

I give you guys credit for not poking and prodding until someone gives you the answer you want to hear.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Griff, I don't know if you are a nutter or not, but I wouldn't think so just because of this.
Personally I strongly believe in an afterlife for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that there has to be one if there is a God of love.
His love nature necessarily demands it.
Universal, ultimate justice is required of a God of love, and that doesn't occur here.
I see no logical way out of it.

But no, you aren't a nutter.
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote