The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-11-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 11th, 2020 : Angel’s Eye View

Quote:
Photojournalist George Steinmetz always liked aerial views, from helicopters or planes or treetops, but for an assignment in the Central Sahara in 1998, none of those were available. So he learned to fly a motorized paraglider—and did so “for about 15 years,” he told me recently, “until drones came along and democratized the low altitudes that I used to have all to myself.”

Quote:
The Grasberg mine in Timika, Indonesia, is the world’s largest mine, and the largest producer of gold and second-largest of copper. A boon to the Indonesian economy, the mine has been a source of tension between the government and citizens who blame it for flooding their lands. It still has about $14 billion of reserves left.
That’s a little disturbing but half way round the world, screw it, couldn’t happen here.

Quote:
Some 30 miles off the coast of Oregon, the C/P Alaska Ocean hauls in a 65-ton load of Pacific whiting, also known as hake. With a crew of 150, the 376-foot-long factory trawler processes its catch on board.
It’s the largest catcher/processor vessel in the US fleet with a capacity to catch and process up to 225 metric
tons of frozen finished product daily. I wonder how many tons of unused bits go back in the ocean to feed
gulls and fish? Providing Americans with safe fresh frozen fish unlike those Asian processing ships that are
all about raping the ocean for profit.

Quote:
Calves conceived by artificial insemination shelter in 3,300 hutches at a Milk Source farm in Greenleaf, Wisconsin. Small dairy farms are closing at a record rate in America's "Dairy State," to be replaced by factory-style operations like Milk Source, which operates throughout the Midwest. The calves will be transferred at age six months to a heifer farm.
The girl calves will be transferred, the boys get eaten before 4.5 months maximum.

Quote:
Near Port Angeles in Washington State, loggers have left thin screens of intact trees to hide large clear-cut areas. Scientists still debate the precise impact of such industrial forestry on climate; replanted trees may eventually absorb as much climate-warming carbon dioxide as is released by logging. But the dire impacts on local biodiversity—and on the landscape—are clear.
Creating wealth and reducing the risk of forest fires. Win Win.

So now you see what the angel's see. They're taking notes.

link
Old 05-11-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Shhhhhhh... Don't want to upset the wealth creators and their enablers. Values are only measured in the stock market.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

The fish factory is also called the MacDonald's ship.

The calf factory is also called animal abuse.

Several logging companies used the "leave the roadside trees" technique in Northern California Redwood (and others) production.
You could park and walk (trespass) a 100 feet from forest to clear-cut.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
tombstone
Disorderly Orderly

Angels' Eye View

Great! Leave the row of uncut trees right along both sides of the roadway, so when there's a bad storm, they can blow down across the road! Who cares about minor traffic problems? And maybe kill somebody in a passing vehicle. (Like a little fourth grade girl who was a student of mine.):Good thinking!
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Can someone move this into the thread? Tombstone makes a good point.