The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
Torrere
a real smartass

Saddam captured

According to various officials in Iraq (former exile Chalabi, Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani, Ibrahim Janabi of the Iraqi National Accord), Saddam has been captured in his hometown of Tikrit.

"Volleys of automatic rifle fire echoed across Baghdad as Iraqis drove around town honking their car horns and giving the V for victory sign, witnesses said."

source

[Edit: DNA tests confirm that this is the real one.]

[Edit: Blair has already announced the capture of Saddam]

So! I guess that Bush can checkmate his enemies. How substantial will his popularlity boost be from this victory? How much will this affect the ongoing War in Iraq?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 05:52 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

This is a very, very good thing -- the fear that the population has of this man is extreme and his final capture will allow for reconstruction efforts to speed up.

It will also be really interesting to hear what he has to say and even more interesting if he is brought to trial.

But, still, I gotta say the obvious: "You can find one man hiding amoungst twenty-two million people, but you can't find 500 tons of sarin, vx, and mustard gas?"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Gen. Ricardo Sanchez said members of the Fourth Infantry Division found Saddam hiding in a 'spider hole' about six to eight feet deep."

I wonder if it put the lotion on its skin.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

WRT Bush checkmating his enemies, if Hussein's capture is a checkmate it surely should have been anticipated by all the players, and they deserve their new status.

Hillary anticipated it and was all hawkish last Sunday. Her position fits well with her husband's hawkishness when he was in charge.

Lieberman is not hurt IMO and this completes his best week in a long time. I hope it preserves his campaign.

It is so much fun to look at one of the world's major assholes being rudely checked for lice. It is so much fun to see Baghdad residents coming out to the public square to celebrate! This is must-see TV. It's a great contrast to the video a few weeks ago, of people with their hands tied being thrown off of the roof of a three-story building on to the concrete below, of people having their tongues cut out and hands and heads hacked off in public.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Iraqi governing council on Saddam: "He was unrepentant and defiant... he tried to justify his actions."

"Physically and mentally tied but did not feel at any moment apologetic to the Iraqi people or any remorse for the crimes he had committed... he said that the Iraqi people are just a bunch of hoodlums. No remorse for any crimes... the wars against Iran... not even about the Kuwaiti... I think he is sick, you don't believe how sick this person is. A psychologist or psychiatrist should investigate him and check what kind of paranoia he has."

"The 750,000 dollars [found on Saddam] are an insignificant amount compared to what was taken from the Iraqi people."

"[Will there be a change in the timeline of sovereignty?] I don't think it will be postponed... I think it will be earlier... Definitely not later than June next year."

"[Were there military around SH when he was caught?] Two guards, rifies in his hole but he did not use it, there was not one bullet fired. He was in an 8 foot hole and the hole was for only one person... he was living with rats actually."
Old 12-14-2003, 09:15 AM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Story from Fox News with photos of him taken after his capture.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:17 AM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so now what?

we try him for a long list of war crimes? and where do we try him? who sits in judgement? will he be jailed? will he be put to death? is there an international death penalty?

do we torture him until we find out the straight dope on the WOMD's?

or do we just put a bullet in his neck and send his family a bill for the bullet?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Joe Lieberman reaction: "My first reaction? Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!... This is a day of glory for the American military... This is a day of triumph for anyone in the world who cares about human rights and cares about peace."
Old 12-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #9
elSicomoro

From the BBC...

Spokeswoman for French President Jacques Chirac

The president is delighted at the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

This is a major event which should strongly contribute to the democratisation and the stabilisation of Iraq, and allow the Iraqis to once more be masters of their destiny in a sovereign Iraq.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, in a message to US President George W Bush

It's with great delight that I learned of Saddam Hussein's capture. I congratulate you on this successful operation.

Saddam Hussein caused horrible suffering to his people and the region. I hope the capture will help the international community's effort to rebuild and stabilise Iraq.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #10
elSicomoro

You are WAY too much of a Lieberman fan, Toad...you're starting to scare me.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:24 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Kerry reaction: "This is not a political... uh... I'm excited like every American is that this is the full decapitation of the regime.. I just feel there was a better way to do it. ...I hope we see this as another way to bring the rest of the world to the table... the best military deserves not to be over-extended... there are still great challenges here... bring this now to the world, bring the world to the table and we can transform Iraq together."

"[What about Dean?] In my judgement, those of us who had a way of doing this, but doing it right, had the right course for America."

"Let me just say that I believe very strongly to stand up to Bush and win is someone who has experience in foreign policy who can make the American people confident of giving the American people a way to be safe in the world."

Practically unintelligible poli-speak. I give it a D-minus.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:26 AM   #12
elSicomoro

Dean is supposed to be speaking shortly...and Dubya will be on at noon ET.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:29 AM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

My wife's reaction:

"It wasn't his fault" and "He'll never get a fair trial, and I think that's sad".
<blockquote>"But... he murdered and tortured hundreds of thousands of people, and appointed his entire family to positions of power... who in turn murdered and tortured hundreds of thousands of people."</blockquote>"No he didn't. Other people did that."

...?

Oh well.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:35 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

She should take a look at this page.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:40 AM   #15
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
so now what?
From the Fox story I posted:

Ahmad Chalabi, a member of Iraq's Governing Council, said that Saddam will be put on trial.

"Saddam will stand a public trial so that the Iraqi people will know his crimes," said Chalabi told Al-Iraqiya, a Pentagon-funded TV station.

Sycamore's idea that most people will laugh off: An international court under US and UN authority. Cruel tyrant he may have been, he still deserves a fair trial, and I really don't see that happening in Iraq. Maybe I'm not giving Iraqis enough credit to be impartial, but I dunno...