The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #286
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cool post.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #287
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

More from Fairey Aviation.

Quote:
The Fairey Rotodyne was a 1950s British compound gyroplane designed and built by Fairey Aviation and intended for commercial and military applications.[2] A development of the earlier Gyrodyne, which had established a world helicopter speed record, the Rotodyne featured a tip jet-powered rotor that burned a mixture of fuel and compressed air bled from two wing-mounted Napier Eland turboprops. The rotor was driven for vertical takeoffs, landings and hovering, as well as low-speed translational flight, and autorotated during cruise flight with all engine power applied to two propellers.

One prototype was built. Although the Rotodyne was promising in concept and successful in trials, the programme was eventually cancelled. The termination has been attributed to the type failing to attract any commercial orders; this was in part due to concerns over the high levels of rotor tip jet noise generated inflight. Politics - the development was government funded - had also played a role in the lack of orders, which ultimately doomed the project.
Wiki

It could be said that the Rotodyne was years ahead of its time and with more development might have been a success.

The concept survives, albeit in a somewhat different form, in the V-22 Osprey.

Trivia time...

The Chairman of Fairey Aviation lived here in Carruthers Town when I was a kid.
I don't remember much about him but I do recall his big old Bassett Hound who would entertain himself by roaming about the town.
He could often be seen ambling down the High Street barking at nothing in particular.
He probably howled at the Moon as well. Lovely dog, he was.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #288
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 AM   #289
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I've often wondered how a rapidly changing C of G, when the water is discharged, affects handling characteristics.

I assume that an increasing nose up attitude can be expected but perhaps it's over quickly enough not to cause any great problems.

In any event, low level ops in probably turbulent conditions can't be too much fun.

Nice find, Mr G!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #290
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Famed aviator 'Bob' Hoover, who escaped Nazis by stealing a plane, dies at 94

Name:  bobhoover.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  116.5 KB

Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #291
Pamela
Deplorable

He was one of my greatest heroes. I hope to be half as good a pilot as he was. RIP Bob. You earned it, brother.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #292
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I knew I posted that for someone, I just couldn't remember who.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #293
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's tough to have a huge fan base.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #294
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The master at work...

Ends with a both engines off landing.
But you knew that.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #295
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Remember this pic I posted?

Well, it's supposed to do that.

And I learned about "arrestor beds" from this article about Mike Pence's plane making a hard landing in a rainstorm, skidding sideways, and overrunning the runway at LaGuardia. Arrestor beds kept the plane from running onto a busy parkway at the end of the runway.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #296
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Better bigger, and in HD.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #297
glatt

They could take off from my back yard
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #298
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They could takeoff from a treadmill in your backyard.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #299
Griff
still says videotape

well maybe with a dolphin boost
Old 11-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #300
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Musta put some Red Bull in the tank...